Does anyone have a ka24de which produces 200+ HP and/or 200+ torque??

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
ESPER

i would like to build my NA motor to about those specs about 200 HP and 200 Torque. if any of you do i would sure love to know what mods and costs!! thanks to everyone who replies!!

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

We will be building NA KA motors to roughly 200 HP as soon as our shop opens. For more information on it, visit our website at http://www.afterdark-tuning.com and keep in touch with either me or Daunttless. Our shop is opening in October!!!

bruinbear714

If you add

1) Injen intake with cold air extension2) Lightened pulley set3) Electric fans and aluminum radiator4) JWT ECU upgrade5) catback exhaust6) cams7) high flow cat8) exhaust headers

That'll put you in the neighboorhood of 200hp.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

bruinbear714 wrote:If you add

1) Injen intake with cold air extension2) Lightened pulley set3) Electric fans and aluminum radiator4) JWT ECU upgrade5) catback exhaust6) cams7) high flow cat8) exhaust headers

Our 200 HP KA engines will be using high compression pistons as well. We may also avoid some things like a high flow cat, since OEM nissan cats flow VERY well. Also, we may be keeping the stock radiator. Honestly, we will have to play around with it to see the exact power we will be making, but 200 HP is not unrealistic.

On a side not, a guy from Miami just recently got a NA SR20DE Sentra to get 199.1 HP at the ground. That is no turbo, no supercharger, no NOS. It's the highest powered SR20DE known that is still streetable and run on 93 octane.

ESPER

cool !! well thanks for the guidelines!! i shall start to follow them!! however the only thiing so far that i have done is change the intake but i chose the AEM short ram . how much will that differ from the injen cold air?? also i am thinking about getting the AEM cams and unorthodox pulleys . that should be okay right?? also where do i get the electric fans from?? and how would those be installed ? thanks again guys!! also EZcheese15 where is your shop?? hehe i am all the way in cali around oakland/frisco!! thanks!!

ESPER

oh and since you say the cat back is fine, that just means for cosmetic purposes i could just save money and instead of replacing the entire exhaust system i can just change the muffler?? hehe for the "sound" hehe

ESPER

in the newest importtuner mag they moded a 96 s14 and chose the 5Zigen Fireball Cat-back exhaust claiming it added about 4 - 10 HP backed by dyno. what are your thoughts on this??

Daunttless

1) EzCheese will be working for me, he's talking about AfterDark Tuning.

2) He doesn't mean the cat back is fine, he means the cat is fine, you will still need to replace the exhaust tubing and muffler, hence needing an aftermarket catback system.

3) We are in Iowa.

4) Dyno results can show anything you want them to show. But 5Zigen makes a great product.

YochTown240

Any Thoughts on the HKS Hiper?

Daunttless

its a nice exhaust, but pretty much like most of the other catbacks. : )

R240NA

bruinbear714 wrote:If you add

You need to specify if you're talking about 200hp at the wheels, or the crank.Those mods won't even come close to 200 at the wheels, you might hit 150. The Injen full intake will seriously hurt topend power because the pipe is too long, giving too much resonance. The fans and radiator will do nothing to make power, only to help make consistent power by keeping the motor cooler. Different motors respond differently as well, the same mods on an newer or cleaner engine will differ from an older one. There is NO gaurantee other than individual tuning.

ESPER

well whats the difference between HP at the wheels and at the crank?? and how could you make 200HP at the wheels? and how much torque would u get?

R240NA

ESPER wrote:well whats the difference between HP at the wheels and at the crank?? and how could you make 200HP at the wheels? and how much torque would u get?

Driveline loss accounts for anywhere from 13-20%. A stock KA puts down roughly 125 at the wheels, but I've seen higher and lower numbers. 200 at the wheels is a tough reach without headwork, higher compression, or SERIOUS ECU tuning. My car put down 159.8 in Tampa a few months ago, the best it's ever done, with an OE exhaust in place. That's with an short intake, S13 cams, Hotshot header, Mueller flywheel, UR pulley, JWT ECU, and running 225/45-16s, so the gearing is closer to a 4.14. With a good exhaust, 164 might be possible. Torque numbers will fluctuate greatly depending on different mods too. My short intake looses torque at the lowend, but picks up higher. You'll never know exactly what you'll get until you try it on your motor. The same setup might do more or less on another car.

Daunttless

Hehe, as far as wheels and crank, the easy answer that I think he is just assuming you know.

Crank horsepower = horsepower at the flywheel, the power your engine is producing before drivetrain loss.

Wheel horsepower = how much horsepower is actually being put to the ground after all losses are taken into consideration, its your "actual" horsepower, how much you're actually spinning at the wheels.

technoman
Car: puss

on the dyno my 98 pushed 170Hp and 196 foot lbs of torque.

corection 160hp 154 torque.

ka24de_510

according to a technical article by SDS, a loss of anything over about 12% from crank to wheels is impossible. this makes sense, because if you do the calculations, as someone at the company did, your transmission and differential would be dissipating some 37,000 watts. they would glow and melt first.

they also make some statements about the accuracy of chassis dynos due to the inability of their operators that I would tend to believe.

the article is here:http://www.sdsefi.com/techdyno.htm

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Good article man!! I agree with 99% of those things.

The only thing I find it hard to believe is about drivetrain loss. I don't believe it's only a max of 12.5% loss. I would want to see the actual math of the coefficient of drag of the gears through the oil and what not. I don't care if it's 100 pages long, I would want to see that before I believe that. It just doesn't seem right.

But the rest of the article is VERY good. It is all true stuff. Especially the differences between an Inertia type dyno and a water brake/eddy current dyno. Most people don't realize they measure in different ways. (Or even know what the hell the difference is)

NateDogg

Wow technoman...that's the most hp I've ever seen without going higher compression. Do you have the graph for us to gawk at?

technoman

With high compression pistons my KA should push 185Hp but I have stock pistons with a nice cam profile. At the time I dynoed it like everyone else I hoped to see higher #'s than 169. whatever it was but I guess the reason is the exhaust cam being so tall. I have my dyno sheet somewere Ill find it and post it.

technoman

Ok here is my cam profile 248 on the intake 252 on the exhustFind them grind them and enjoy!:ylsuper

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

The secret is finally out! :)How much of a difference is 4 degrees going to make on a NA Ka? I just bought the nismo cams for my car but I don't think I'm going to regrind them.

technoman

Not much remember I'm still -10 to -15Hp away from guys who do have pistons.

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

where can you find nismo cams at? i want some sometime. http://www.nismo.com and the like aren't what i want. techno, thats awesome power from your car. hopefully mine will be like that someday. i'm fixin to buy exhaust hopefully in 2-3 weeks, header may be next, after that i may go for 300zx brakes up front, or save for some cams. I WANT SOME POWER!!

technoman

Im real happy with the power my KA makes. I guess it's the total combo that Im using that gives my car power. I wish I had the money to buy a kat and see if using a kat would lower the powerbecause I don't use a kat right know.

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

Hey 95silviase, Go to nismoparts.com. That's where I bought mine and I think that's where technoman bought his. They raised their prices on cams from 360 to 381 but its alot less expensive than courtesy nissan. I need to get my car dynoed since I'm running a pretty similar set up to technoman.

UncleBen
Car: '05 G35 Sedan Sport, '98 240sx LE auto, '95 240sx SE auto,

doctorj240 wrote:Hey 95silviase, Go to nismoparts.com. That's where I bought mine and I think that's where technoman bought his. They raised their prices on cams from 360 to 381 but its alot less expensive than courtesy nissan. I need to get my car dynoed since I'm running a pretty similar set up to technoman.

thanks man. 381 is still alot cheaper than what i have seen anywhere else. i've seen over 500 dollar cams, which made me sad:(

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

technoman wrote:Im real happy with the power my KA makes. I guess it's the total combo that Im using that gives my car power. I wish I had the money to buy a kat and see if using a kat would lower the powerbecause I don't use a kat right know.

Hey techno, is there a reason you spell cat with a "k"? Just curious. You do know it is short for CATalytic, right?

technoman

Yea I know.. I just spell it that way so it dosnt look like Im talking about a kiddie to the newbie's. :D

technoman

drJ... look in to porting the head. Ka motors love this trust me.I did all the porting on my Ka head with a dremal. It takes lots of time but way worth it and you even have a good fuel pump so your motor will even like it more...

NateDogg

but the fuel pump wont do anything unless you raise the fuel pressure above stock, right?

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”