Does anybody know what tires are on the non-Sport 2006 M35 and M45?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

What is the Infiniti OEM tire on the Non-Sport M35 and M45? If you definitely know it, please post here the Brand / Model / Size / Load Index, etc.? And if the front / back tires are different (which I do not expect), please let me know that too!

I want to update the stickie here with the correct information ...

Thanks,

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

The non sports have 245-45-18

szh

elwesso wrote:The non sports have 245-45-18
Thanks, Wes! Do you happen to know the brand/model etc. info? Is it the same as the Sport model, perhaps?

Z

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Goodyear RS-A 96V 260

bb-m35

hope you are not planning on buying any because there are a lot better options. There's a few things I'd change about the car and those tires is one of them.

szh

bb-m35 wrote:hope you are not planning on buying any because there are a lot better options. There's a few things I'd change about the car and those tires is one of them.
Oh, yeah, agreed! The RS-A from Goodyear is a pretty mediocre tire. Over-priced too. I just want to update the technical specs in the stickies to let people know what the original was.

I am using quite a different tire on my M45 ... will have to get some pictures soon!

Thanks,

Z

bb-m35

wish I could justify buying new tires. I don't know how much the rear tires turning helps in the sport models - but I can tell you that better tires would make up a lot of handling ground between the two styles.

My BMW came with crappy stock tires and switching them was like getting different car.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

bb-m35 wrote:wish I could justify buying new tires. I don't know how much the rear tires turning helps in the sport models - but I can tell you that better tires would make up a lot of handling ground between the two styles.

My BMW came with crappy stock tires and switching them was like getting different car.
Take the car drifting for an hour or so and then you can justify getting new tires!!

bb-m35

yeah - you're a good influence....

anyone swapped out their tires yet?

DonSherman
Car: M35x

I am a new M35x owner. I did a lot of reading about the Goodyear RA-S tires at the tire rack forum - owner reports on many different vehicles,, and read one of the tire rack test reports on 3 high performance all season tires- which included the Goodyears RA-S. I noted issues with these tires in wet weather, and a tendency to hydroplane, especially when the tires are not new. I also got a reply from an owner who spinned out of control- but one incident does not make a pattern- However, I am very concerned about this tire when there is a full season of tread wear on them. I will use 4 snows this winter (not essential on an all wheel drive car, but I am concerned about repeating a head on collision with a tree I had years ago on light snow with a Datsun 240Z). I am not sure if I should try the all season Goodyear tires next spring or replace them. Does anyone else have first hand experience with the Goodyear RA-S tires in wet weather with some treat wear on the tires? Any help would be appreciated.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Honestly if your going to do that, heres what I would do..

Pick up some G35 wheels or something that is inexpensive and will fit.. I assume you have the M35 18s.... you dont want snow tires on those!!! Get something smaller (in diameter) and then upgrade...

I honestly dont think its necessary for you to put new tires on for winter, but i cant say its a bad idea.... The all seasons + AWD + all the controls will probably be sufficient....

So heres what I would do... if your going to upgrade tires, get your winter tires on a set of G35 wheels (should fit) or equivalent (nissan) and then put something good on the factory wheels... Id say you dont want an all season if you are running winters, get something like michelin pilot sports, bridgestone RE050A, and so on...

Just my opinion..
bb-m35 wrote:yeah - you're a good influence....

anyone swapped out their tires yet?

szh

DonSherman wrote:I am a new M35x owner. I did a lot of reading about the Goodyear RA-S tires at the tire rack forum - owner reports on many different vehicles,, and read one of the tire rack test reports on 3 high performance all season tires- which included the Goodyears RA-S. I noted issues with these tires in wet weather, and a tendency to hydroplane, especially when the tires are not new. I also got a reply from an owner who spinned out of control- but one incident does not make a pattern- However, I am very concerned about this tire when there is a full season of tread wear on them. I will use 4 snows this winter (not essential on an all wheel drive car, but I am concerned about repeating a head on collision with a tree I had years ago on light snow with a Datsun 240Z). I am not sure if I should try the all season Goodyear tires next spring or replace them. Does anyone else have first hand experience with the Goodyear RA-S tires in wet weather with some treat wear on the tires? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to NICO!

If you want to stick with Goodyear, then I would strongly recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 instead of the RS-A.

I have used both, and the GS-D3 is way better than the RS-A, particularly for wet weather (which is my driving concern) and not much different in price.

I have done a lot of research on tires (in a 245/45-18 size for the 2003 M45 models ... so it would fit the non-Sport M35/45 models), I will post this information sometime in the next few days. I will also update it later for the newer 19" rims on the Sport models.

Z

EDIT: I should add that neither tire is designed for snow. Having lived in MA and NH for many years (and also having had a snow-related accident, fortunately minor, in my old 1985 300ZX Turbo), I can relate to the desire to add proper snow tires. When I was living in NH, having snow tires on my RX- made the difference between a car that could be driven in the snow and not!

DonSherman

I will look for the information. Thanks for the quick response.

Don

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Snow tires are certainly essential for traction, regardless of the driving wheel arrangement. All season is a marketing euphemism for degraded regular performance tires targeted at lazy and unknowlegeable consumers.

Summer tires for above 40° F, winter tires for the white stuff, colder temperatures and lower speeds.

bb-m35

Having been born and raised in NH myself - not sure you can get away from the snow tires. The only tire I've used that might be possible or at least is alternative for some good performance and still works in light snow is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. For a balance of performance wet or dry, comfort, noise, etc - I don't think there is a better tire. It is the best performace oriented tire I've ever used in the rain. And even though I live in TN now - I have driven then in what little snow we get. The worse was about 7 inches of snow in my BMW 330i - and I was on of the few that actually was able to get home and safely. Of course I have a lot more experience driving in snow

DonSherman

Thanks for the input. I did buy 4 -17" wheels and 235/50 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 winter tires. I plan to put them on in the fall. I find that winter tires are very worthwhile in both going, and stopping. In addition, I am not wearing out my 18" rubber when the winters are on the car, so, in terms of total miles all year long, the main additional cost is the extra 17" wheels. The question is, should I use the original OEM all season Goodyear tires next spring, or go for summer tires based on OEM Goodyears poor performance in the wet, and their rapid loss of grip even on dry roads as the tread wears down? Tire rack has a lot of info on good summer tires for the M. Can anyone report on their experience in dry & wet roads with summer (high performance or better) summer tires, compared with the OEM Goodyears?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I have the 265-40-18s in the Bridgestone RE050 and so far I like them. They stick nicely..... Get those you cant go wrong with that... Great summer tire, they do wear somewhat quickly (you could probably get 20k) but you cant have it all... Id recommend that.!

szh

DonSherman wrote:Thanks for the input. I did buy 4 -17" wheels and 235/50 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 winter tires. I plan to put them on in the fall. I find that winter tires are very worthwhile in both going, and stopping.
An excellent decision!
DonSherman wrote:The question is, should I use the original OEM all season Goodyear tires next spring, or go for summer tires based on OEM Goodyears poor performance in the wet, and their rapid loss of grip even on dry roads as the tread wears down? Tire rack has a lot of info on good summer tires for the M. Can anyone report on their experience in dry & wet roads with summer (high performance or better) summer tires, compared with the OEM Goodyears?
I have directly compared the Goodyear Eagle RS-A (OEM on the non-Sport M) to other brands, like the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, albeit in different sizes on different cars that I own. The difference is amazing.

The RS-A is a long-lasting, totally mediocre tire. Good in road quietness, but the handling, both in dry and wet, braking, and general "summerishness" of the tire leaves a lot to be desired. Almost any brand of quality summer tire is better. I remain amazed at the high price that this tire commands too!

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 is superior in wet weather, both handling and braking, to most tires sold today. I use it in a 245/45-18 size on my current M45, and in a 205/55-16 on my wife's Acura. It is not the best tire in the world (that, imho, is the now-obsolete Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP), but among the best.

My only compaint with it has been the need for more balancing than I would like. I balance every 2.5k to 3k miles or so on my wife's Acura. I had hoped that I would be able to avoid this on my M (since the load index is 100W and it is a stronger tire), but this has not turned out to be true.

In terms of what I would recommend in a 245/45-18 size, the following are good contenders:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 245/4-18 100W. A Max Performance Summer tire.

2. Avon Tech M550 A/S 245/45-18 96W. This is a Ultra High-Performance All-Season tire, so not as good a summer tire as their Avon Tech M500, but the M500 is not available in a 245/45-18 size.

3. Bridgestone Potenza RE050 245/45-18 96Y. An excellent, all-round Max Performance Summer tire. Not as good as the Eagle F1 GS-D3 in wet, but very close. I chose the Eagle because of the better wet handling (my particular fear at speed.) This is a Run Flat tire.

4. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position 245/45-18 96Y. This has been highly rated at Tire Rack and appears to be an excellent tire. A lot of people have bought them and it is one of the often quoted ones by Tire Rack personnel.

5. Michelin Pilot Sport 245/45-18 100Y. An excellent performer. Some experts here swear by their general quality and Michelin's overall attention to strength and meeting the load index with a lot of margin. Pricy.

6. Yokohama AVS ES100 245/45-18 100W RF. A very good performer according to some people. This is a Run Flat tire, so may have sitffer side-walls than usual. Whether this affects the handling is unclear to me.

7. Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico 245/45-18 96Y. I think this is a very good tire. A number of people here like Pirelli tires, and Greg (AZhitman) our CEO has them on his Q45 and likes them a lot, I believe.

One of the above will do you very well indeed! The Avon is the lowest cost and is a worthy contender just for that reason alone. I.e., if you do not like it, then getting rid of it is less of a burden.

Hope this points you in the right direction. I intend to update the stickies above soon!

Z

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

elwesso wrote:Goodyear RS-A 96V 260
And other brands.

Only Sport models are locked in to the RE - 050A.

DonSherman

Thanks for a great review. I believe the Bridgestone R050 has a rib on the sidewall that can help avoid rim damage from a curb. I expect to consider that tire next spring, but I will re-evaluate the Goodyear you like as well. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Don

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Most of htem have curb rash protectors... What I like doing is running just an ever so slightly wider tires (10-20mm) and that sort of makes the tire go out a little so that it CANT get to the wheel....

Z is right about all that stuff (and I'll probably be referencing that post)...

BTW, you can get the RE050A in non-run flat. thats what I have on mine, they are about $50 cheaper.... You can also get hte 245-45-18 in 100 load rating as well, usually the XL ratings are no different in price... i wonder what theyre differences are... My speculation without doing any research is just higher max inflation...?

SOme people like the michelins, some dont, IMHO the pilot sports are out dated.. The PS2s are the way to go in that regard..

Honestly, i dont think youll like any of thoes other ones... Get the good years, bridgestones (my personal favorite, I LOVE MINE), or michelins... The bridgestones are OEM on a lot of higher class cars like MB E55 (i think) and some other BMWs..... 15-20k life with good rotations...

the pirelli's are nice and grippy, but they arent as quiet and often tend to feel harder..... really stiff sidewalls....

LIke I said, i might consider getting a 255-45-18 if you can, i just like having that extra width, it makes me feel like ive actually done something... HOWEVER the bottom line is you will have MUCH better handling with any of those 3 tires in there...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Just wanted to add, that if you dont drive your car really hard (like auto-X, etc) that an ultrahigh performance tire (class below max performance) will likely be good enough... Theyre just not as grippy (usually close to as good in the rain) ubt may last 30k with ease...

So unless you dont mind getting LESS than 20k out of a max performance (guarnteed across the listed tires) and you think its actulaly worth it by having the extra traction, then go for it.. Otherwise it sprobably not necessary....

bb-m35

I'm a big fan on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Ran them on my Bimmer. Best tire in the rain I've ever used. workable in cold and snow. Dry weather traction is impressive for a all season tire. Good enough for almost anything you'd do on public roads.

szh

bb-m35 wrote:I'm a big fan on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Also an excellent tire! The Pilot Sport A/S will last longer than the Pilot Sport.

Z

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

yeah i hear a lot of good things about teh A/S as well... However, if you know your going to have dedicated winter tires, it seems kind of stupid to get the all season...

bb-m35

elwesso wrote:yeah i hear a lot of good things about teh A/S as well... However, if you know your going to have dedicated winter tires, it seems kind of stupid to get the all season...
well yeah.... it's just alternative to using dedicated tires. Unless you need dedicated snows - these will satisfy most people and you don't have to bother swapping tires.

szh

elwesso wrote:Pick up some G35 wheels or something that is inexpensive and will fit.. I assume you have the M35 18s.... you dont want snow tires on those!!! Get something smaller (in diameter) and then upgrade...
Definitely excellent idea to have separate wheels for the snows, yes, but be careful of which G35 they are from! The offset needed for the new M35/45 means that the G35 coupe wheels will probably not fit. The older G35 Sedan 17" x 7.5" at 45mm offset, as I recall, will be way better (the non-sport m45 wheels are 18 x 8 with a 47mm offset!

Might be best to get some smaller, cheap wheels from Tire Rack for this purpose ... maybe even some cheap steelies.

Z

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”