Do you use manual or DS transmission modes?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've owned an automatic, and none of my previous ones had a manual mode. I got my EX in June, but didn't start DD'ing it until last month. I love the car, but I miss being able to hold my own gear, and downshift at will instead of mashing the gas and waiting.

So over the past week, I've started playing with the manual mode for shifting.First thing I noticed is when I move the gear shift over, DS lights up on the cluster and it still shifts on it's own. Is this mode different than the normal D mode? Does it hold gears longer or something? I haven't been leaving it in this mode, but shifting through gears myself. I'm curious to see if holding gears longer and reving the engine out a bit more takes a hit on my fuel economy. It does give me some more sound from the G37S exhaust though :chuckle:

Curious how many others use this mode, or just auto. I saw someone else post how they've driven their EX in manual mode 99% of the time, which was what made me decide to try it out.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

I have my Ex35 since 2008 and I can’t drive that car on D mode. I use the Manual mode all the time since I feel the car is more responsive (always on the right gear) when I need to pass or speed up.

DS mode (without moving the lever using + or - )
is still in automatic, but holds the gear slightly at the sweet spot of the RPM range where when you push the pedal, you start at the beginning of the power curve (midrange power) and brings you back to the power curve on the next gear and also it goes all the way to redline and shifts automatically for you.

Manual mode is when you move the shifter from D to DS and you start using the + or - direction.
The gear number will show on your middle dash. When you upshift early for the next gear, you’ll here a warning beep. The car also downshift on it’s own when coming to a slower speed like from 40 mph to 10mph. You don’t really need to downshift a lot unless you have to pass someone. Manual mode can also hit the Redline RPM and it starts to bounce when you don’t shift to the next gear to protect your engine .( fuel cutting)

I have a 5 speed AT and it’s sweet spot is 3rd when I’m around 60 mph + to pass . My 3rd gear is very long and it can go up to 70 plus!

I’m not sure how the 7 A/T tranny behave in the EX, but I had a Q40 AWD 7 A/t and currently have a Q50. 3.0T 7 A/T and both has a sweet spot for passing using 5th gear or 4th gear.
I only drive using D or DS mode when I’m navigating around the parking lot.

I forgot to mention, both M mode and DS mode hits your MPG. Also, when using the Manual mode, you don’t totally release your gas pedal like you are driving a standard stick. You’ll learn to blend both together to get a smooth shifting. You can actually floor the gas and be able to shift. But you have to blend it very smoothly by the feel of the tranny bounce or hitting you from the back. If you feel the tranny hits you hard , you are either early on your shift or to much gas while shifting. What I do is I don’t release the current gas pedal position, but I pause pushing the gas pedal farther and then shift at the right RPM. (3k RPM normal driving)

You also have to anticipate the slight delay when shifting. You don’t have to really hit the redline before you shift to the next gear. Anticipate that tiny delay , so shift a bit early. If the Redline is 7.5k RPM, shift at 7k-7.1k . I noticed , there’s really not much power (torque) at that RPM unless you are trying to hit the car’s top speed...

Remember , torque is the one that push you back to your seat...

schaffs04
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD Premium. Blue Slate/Wheat

Neat my house I have to make a right, direct access turn into a 65 Mph highway. DS mode gives more quick pickup.

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

Of course DS mode is Sport Mode, and keeps you in a lower gear. Many makes of cars have had this for decades. Read your car manual.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Teknical wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 am
Of course DS mode is Sport Mode, and keeps you in a lower gear. Many makes of cars have had this for decades. Read your car manual.
Wow, catch you at the wrong time of the month? I was asking for people's experience who use it, because I haven't settle down, a manual isn't going to tell me about that.

Thanks everyone else for your input. Been playing with DS and shifting myself since posting this, really makes the car drive different. I went through about 3/4 of a tank and actually pulled 11.7L/100KM, which is up there with what I've logged since getting it. It's nice being able to hold a gear in full manual mode like I do in my s2k.

The only thing that gets me sometimes is I'll be in DS, I'll manually downshift to pass. Then eventually get to a light, start and get up to 5k in 1st forgetting I need to shift it lol. Just have to get used to it

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”