do you drift?

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
240SXedUp

Ive been intersted in drifting for a while, but im just afraid to do it so i dont mess up my car. How many of you drift and have you broken anything? I know when you are skidding on your side everything on your car is more likely to break. Im not gonna drift till i get all my suspension stuff, but i just wanted to hear about your experiences and your suggestions.

MainEvent212

well think of it this way, if you got the stock stuff, and you're gonna replace it, then why not break it in the process? either way it's gonna get thrown away...

just keep in mind, your drift car cannot be a show car if you plan on being good at it.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

I've never broken anything while doing it. Hard on my clutch and that had to be replaced though.

drifter sx
Car: the usual

if you break anything while drifting.. its probably cuz you slammed into something, which means you did it in a bad place where there's stuff to slam into. i only do it at drift meets or our autocross cite [an old, wide airstrip] where its just wide open spaces. even stock, nothing should 'break'...

BuudWeizErr

Don't get all your suspension stuff first, then try drifting, those mods will become your crutch, and you will never be good. You need to learn how your car responds to different conditions with a crappy setup, then get mods that will allow you to improve.

If I were you, just get 2-4 crappy wheels, tires to put on them from a used tire place, and a VLSD for ~$300.

Then sign up for some events in your area and start practicing.

offtheline

What about when you pull the ebrake? Does that do damage? Do you need to replace stuff from that?

D1SR240
Car: 2002 BMW M5
1991 Nissan 240SX

find a big empty parking lot and practice there if u can't find a place that u sign up for. just make sure its a place where you shouldn't hit anyone or anything

240marcuSX
Car: E34 525i
E46 M3

when you use your ebrake youre supposed to push in the clutch so it isnt engaged, otherwise it could cause damage.

seriously, you should drive your car for like a year and then get really serious into drifting and what not. i screwed up a few times, hit a couple things, because im a shmuck, no real damage though.

D1SR240
1991 Nissan 240SX

i haven't hit anything yet, almost hit a curb though lol

240SXedUp

Quote »just keep in mind, your drift car cannot be a show car if you plan on being good at it.[/quote]

Thats ok, i wasnt planning on getting a bodykit or anything. The only "showy" thing i have are my rims but ill just use my stock wheels when i drift. So nothing can really break just from drifting unless you crash into something? How did you guys start drifting? Did you just go to a parking lot and practice?

gunclap

empty parking lot for me

D1SR240
1991 Nissan 240SX

yea empty parking lot works good

n00b240
Car: '03 6MT

I started at my local auto-x club. after the auto-x events, i practiced conditions in understeer, i was too scared to try oversteer till i got better auto-x times. but im fairly solid in understeer control, you really have to just feel the grip out, at first its just wtf, after many many tries you can get it down and feel good. next auto-x ima bust some oversteer skills

I would recommend finding some type of auto-x event in your area. There should be something at least once a month (as with me0 That way you can really feel how the car handles in near drift conditions before actually trying a drift. because of the nature of auto-x i immediately fix oversteer as soon as i sense it, because once tried to drift into a turn and lost control, good understeer skills prevented me from hitting any cones :)

chmercer

hey noob240 where do you live in austin. also can you please give me any info about what autox's you go to? im in austin as well and i would like to start solo 2 this year.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

I havn't drifted lately due to crashing my car a few months ago. Yes its hard on the car but I would prepair before you start beating the living snot out of your car. I kept my car well maintained. The only problem I kept having was the powersteering hose loosening up. But that was being at steering stop too long. Also suspension helps alot and have an extra pair of tires to change to. Nick

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Yes. Definitely an empty parking lot. At the very first time I tried, it was 2 hrs after it rained and the road was slick. Lucky for me the parking lot I was at has a wide 90 degree turn so I tried, and I mean tried a feint drift. Since then, have gotten a little better.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

or try starting in a gravel parking lot, atleast that way you can learn to handle your car while oversteering.

ride4lame

I broke my stock shocks drifting, i blew out a seal or something in them, so i am going to coilovers eventually. You can break things, drifting puts alot of stress on your car. There is really no reason to change parts though, so that you can drift. Stock cars are the best to learn on, because there can be no harm to expensive parts.

Legal events are your best bet to learn at. They give a safe course where you can't hit anything and offer challenges so that you can progress. If there are really no legal events near you, find a big parking lot REAl late at night, and clutch and pull the ebrake, to get a feal for it.

POS_S13
Car: thizzlamics

find an area late at nite with wide lanes, like "3 car wide" kinda lanes so you don't really hafta worry bout hittin curbs when you drift the turns, or if have access to a big open parkin lot go there and practice.

ca18det_boy

I have this awesome lake area close to my house where I go. Police do messed with me.

sps14mc
Car: cars, music, traveling

.....if u are really worried about slamming into things or have any doubts, practice drifting in an open space.

drifter sx

Quote » So nothing can really break just from drifting unless you crash into something? How did you guys start drifting? Did you just go to a parking lot and practice? [/quote]

im in a local car club here on campus, and we hold autoX every couple of weeks. i recommend you do that for a year or so and LEARN how your car and you work together. after so many times you'll know exactly when and how to maneuver your car and you'll begin to 'feel' the way the car moves and the best way to get it loose. thats what i did for about a year and it started me on my drifting kick. im still nowhere near good, but im getting better. cant learn if you dont make mistakes so take your time. now i go to drift meets whenever i get a chance and thats a good place to practice too. just keep other peoples safety in mind, dont try to show off

n00b240

chmercer wrote:hey noob240 where do you live in austin. also can you please give me any info about what autox's you go to? im in austin as well and i would like to start solo 2 this year.

chmercer: the car club in austin is spokes. http://www.spokes.org They meet up at that old airfield by the dell on 35 bout at least once a month. lots of cars come out, its a good time. I live in riverside now in the melrose apartments. any questions just pm me or email or post again. :) ive seen one s14 out there but just once, many a datsun. plenty of 300zx it would be nice to see more s14's or s13 for that matter. there are a few maximas and sentras, plus some 350z's

edit: spokes website is being updated now

D Money
Car: driving illegaly

i drift all the time. yesterday it was super snowy so i held on to my brothers spoiler with a snowboard while he was drifting

wangless
Car: '02 MBP WRX

my bad experience...

it was a rainy night and 3am in the morning. i was making a left turn and my friend urged me to floor it and try to drift... he just kept saying come on... and annoying me. so when the light turned green, i floored it to shut him up. i turned the wheel quickly to the left... started fishtailing, turned the other way, fishtailed the other way and my car hit the little island. i hit the island with my rear left wheel, then my head hit the window.

later in the week i found out because i hit the island i found out i broke my brake caliper. and because it was broken, i started scoring my rotor. and i also split a CV boot, which sputtered grease all over the underside of the car. and i messed up a bushing. it cost me $178 for the caliper/rotor, and $35 for the cv boot, all labor done by myself.

lesson learned, dont listen to my friend to try to perform a drift on the street, especially when i have no experiece in it. im a dumb***, i know. but that was a year ago...

prman89
Car: fixing and improving things

i want to drift but at the same time i dont like to pull the hand brake so im probably going to have to learn by getting used to sliding by doing dough-nuts i want to get a LSD as my frist preformance up grade so i can have better control in the snow and to help keep me from getting stuck. i want to reinforce all the steering and suspension parts to take the abuse of drifitng and aftermarket rims. (I Love my new used 91 240 sx way too much but thats how i like it) but for the most part i do want to get a set of steel rims for the just in case i hit any thing i can beat the crap out of it to get it straight. im probably going to use my firestone discount to get tires ffor the car. i want to try to keep the body from damage though so im going to have to scout around chicago for some good parking lots with out the popo being on my a$$ or the rent-a-cops that like to annoy people. art there any tips on some drifting techniques (im a bad speller) that dont use the hand brake will be vary much appricated

drifter sx

um dont get used to the e-brake.. try actually using the car's speed with breaking and steering techniques.

Toad[^_^]

240SXedUp wrote:Ive been intersted in drifting for a while, but im just afraid to do it so i dont mess up my car. How many of you drift and have you broken anything? I know when you are skidding on your side everything on your car is more likely to break. Im not gonna drift till i get all my suspension stuff, but i just wanted to hear about your experiences and your suggestions.

Don't just slap mods on though. Drive the car. Once you have exceeded the cars full potential then augment the already existing components (i.e. suspension, power, weight) so that you may have a full understanding of the vehicles mechanics and physics in the most richh detail.

WingsNThangs
Car: 91 240SX

No drifting. I'm not willing to shell out what it costs to drift legally. Exhibition of speed or reckless driving tickets are soooooooo not worth it, and my luck really sucks.

n00b240

nismod_rps13 wrote:my bad experience...

it was a rainy night and 3am in the morning. i was making a left turn and my friend urged me to floor it and try to drift... he just kept saying come on... and annoying me. so when the light turned green, i floored it to shut him up. i turned the wheel quickly to the left... started fishtailing, turned the other way, fishtailed the other way and my car hit the little island. i hit the island with my rear left wheel, then my head hit the window.

lesson learned, dont listen to my friend to try to perform a drift on the street, especially when i have no experiece in it. im a dumb***, i know. but that was a year ago...

yes yes, very dumb indeed. what you did was not a drift. it was understeer. and worse off you tried to correct it which is the worst thing you can do while in understeer, which led you to eff up your car. and then proceed on to hit the island which led to more effing. read up on drifting or oversteer before trying it. or better yet, sign up at your local auto-x.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”