Do these services need to be done at 20k miles???

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

So I had my 2018 Hybrid Rogue with 20k miles in for an oil change and tire rotation.

The service advisor came back and said the tech recommended the following things:

Engine Air Filter Replacement
Brake System Flush
Replace Cabin Air Filter
AC Evaporator Service
Balance Tires

So I know they always try to tell you stuff is wrong with your car so I figured I'd reach out to the hive mind on if any of these are really needed at 20k miles. I did opt for the Engine Air Filter since I happen to have a coupon with me and only cost $50. But what about the other items, how important are they? The only other I was possibly considering was the Cabin Air filter, but that was like $100+

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

No. They're definitely trying to generate revenue by ripping people off.

Your tires don't need balancing unless your experiencing a problem (you'd know it if that was the case).

The engine breather and cabin filter only need to be changed when dirty. AFAIK all 2nd gen Rogues (including Sport and Hybrid) use the same breather and cabin filters. You can buy a generic set on eBay for $15 and change them yourself WHEN NEEDED.

A good rule of thumb is to have your brakes flushed about every 30,000 miles. Unless you're hard on your brakes you don't need that done now.

My advice, find a good local repair shop to have your work done. Or at the very least find a different dealership.

howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

Figured as much. They did say the engine air filter was dirty (though who knows if that was the truth) Is the Cabin Air Filter easy to change to a newbie?

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

howie411 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am
Is the Cabin Air Filter easy to change to a newbie?
It's definitely not as easy as other vehicles I have owned. But it is still not difficult. Just takes a little longer than it should.
The smaller you are, the shorter your arms are, the easier it is. Google search for some videos.

As Rogue One said, changing your engine air cleaner/air filter is a very simple job and not expensive at all. This link is one I have used.
https://www.amazon.com/ECOGARD-XA10423- ... ssan+Rogue
We live on a dirt road and ours get pretty dirty even after one year. So I tend to replace mine probably more frequently than others. Your MAF sensor will like you if you keep your air filter clean/replaced sooner rather than later.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

IMHO, if you don’t drive through dusty areas or smoke, you probably go many years without changing either filters for many or at least a couple of years.

What I would do, if I knew then what I do now, I would probably get a good practice in and do a cvt transmission drain & fill. Then do it every 20k or 30k miles, if you’re planning to keep it until the wheels fall off.

Probably the best insurance with these notorious transmissions. I did it way late in the game at around 75k.

Now I have nearly 100k on the original cvt transmission after over a decade.

Unfortunately I waited until it slipped, hesitated, & jerked forward when I pressed the gas. Hopefully damage was not done, who knows, but it has been smooth as butter ever since.

Actually, I believe draining transmission oil is way more important than changing motor oil since failure of your Nissan will more likely be due to the transmission instead of the engine.

Anyways, just my 2 cents!😎
Last edited by casperfun on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

howie411 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am
Figured as much. They did say the engine air filter was dirty (though who knows if that was the truth) Is the Cabin Air Filter easy to change to a newbie?
You're in luck, as on the 2nd gen they moved the filter to the passenger side of the car. On my 1st gen it was on the drivers side, and you had to be a bit of a contortionist to get at it. Plus I'd usually scrape up a couple of my knuckles in the process, due to the location.

I now tool round in a 2012 CR-V, where the cabin filter is easy to access as it's behind the glovebox. Takes all of 10 minutes to change... 9 minutes to drink a beer, and one to swap out the filter. :spitout:

Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

Engine air filter is a snap to change.

Cabin filter is not a snap. As the video shows, you really need to manipulate the old filter to remove it (mine started to fall apart) and to get the new one in.

Important! Not shown or mentioned in the video is a small phillips head silver-colored screw holding the cover on the cabin filter. it's on the firewall side of the cover. it's easy to see and remove. I don't know if it's on every Rogue and I have a suspicion that shops don't replace it, if they do the job.

Return to “Rogue Forum”