Do I need to heat the engine before running the Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Roguer
Car: Rogue SL AWD 2008

Do I need to heat the engine before running the Rogue?

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

No, absolutely not.

In cold weather all you need is to let it idle for 30 seconds so that the oil can circulate up from the oil pan into the block. If it is REALLY cold you might want to let it idle for 2 or 3 minutes but that is all, there is no benefit to running it longer.

Idelling your vehicle for longer than this simply wastes fuel, and harms air quailty with no benefit to the vehicle. I can't stand it when people let their vehicles idle for extend periods of time because it just forces everyone else (including me and my kids) to breath the toxic exhaust - I find this to be very selfish.

REDDOG

kerrton is 100% correct-idling for 30-60 sec is fine. A few times when it was below zero I've gone a couple of minutes. Then just drive gently and keep the rpms down until the engine comes up to temp.

Many people don't realize when a cold engine idles it is being fed more fuel(running rich) to compensate for the cold temp-this can cause fuel dilution of the engine oil leading to increased engine wear and deposits. Not to mention with the price of fuel these days, it gets a little pricey!

REDDOG

Return to “Rogue Forum”