Do I have a ghost -- things are happing all by themselves

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
coffenut
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Greetings all. I have a rather odd mechanical question for you. Mind you, I am a complete noob when it comes to anything mechanical, so ..... my 2015 Rogue has a mind of it's own (it's either that, or I have a ghost) when taking right hand turns. Not every time, but it seems that if I am taking a righthand turn with any speed & pressure, my doors lock & unlock and the interior lights flash on and off. It happens once in the turn and that's it. It does not happen when I take left hand turn and it does not seem to happen if I go really slowly.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I know I'll most likely have to bring it into a mechanic, but I would like to have some idea ahead of time.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Def sounds electrical. Like something is shifting or shorting during lateral load/pressure in that direction only. Most likely something under the hood as opposed to inside the interior.
Check the battery and cables first. Make sure nothing there is moving. Or 'capable of moving' I guess would be a better way to describe it.

Wife had similar symptoms when her alternator was failing on an older car several years ago. But that was a constant tripping of the power locks on/off. Not for a specific direction turns.

If it's nothing obvious, maybe take it to auto parts store to see if they can pull any codes that may have been thrown? Sometimes computers will throw an error/fault code(s) even without ever actually tripping the Check Engine Light.

coffenut
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Lone Wolff wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:21 pm
Def sounds electrical. Like something is shifting or shorting during lateral load/pressure in that direction only. Most likely something under the hood as opposed to inside the interior.
Check the battery and cables first. Make sure nothing there is moving. Or 'capable of moving' I guess would be a better way to describe it.

Wife had similar symptoms when her alternator was failing on an older car several years ago. But that was a constant tripping of the power locks on/off. Not for a specific direction turns.

If it's nothing obvious, maybe take it to auto parts store to see if they can pull any codes that may have been thrown? Sometimes computers will throw an error/fault code(s) even without ever actually tripping the Check Engine Light.

Oh! Thank you!!! Great suggestions!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

My first generation locks by itself all the time.

I'm so use to it.

I just make sure I leave window open if I step out to the atm.

Doesn't really bother me.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Sounds to me like your drivers door is not quite shut and is popping slightly open on a turn. Try holding the door closed the next several times you turn right and see if it continues. It might need a bit of adjustment or just shut harder.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:11 pm
Sounds to me like your drivers door is not quite shut and is popping slightly open on a turn. Try holding the door closed the next several times you turn right and see if it continues. It might need a bit of adjustment or just shut harder.
If he's turning right when this happens I would think it's either the passenger side front or rear is not closed all the way.

Open and close all your doors, including the back and make sure they are closed all the way, then try turning right again.

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

When you turn left or right the door on the opposite side will tend to be pulled open. I had personal experience with this when I was a kid. My little brother was sitting in the front seat of our family car, back in the days before anyone bothered to use seat belts. My Mom was driving and made a left turn across a busy intersection and the passenger door popped open...wide open, as in all the way open. If she hadn't reached over and grabbed my brother he'd have been road kill.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Usually when my door is not closed all the way, the door ajar light comes on.

It’s either closed or ajar. But it always catches the latch.

So you can hear the door clanging against the vehicle when driving off.

If op didn’t see the door ajar light, I don’t think this is the reason.

The problem is that Nissan has gone down the crap hole since the Renault merger, so craftsmanship has been more like crapmanship.

Cvt, need I say more.

Definitely get it fixed if this happens when turning.

Nissan tech needs to check the circuitry. :cool:

Return to “Rogue Forum”