Do 09-10 m35s suffer from oil gallery gasket issues?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
eyedeekay
Car: 2006 Infiniti m35

Currently sharing an 06 m35, but I hope to eventually get a used m35 later next year. Was looking at some used 09-10 m35s but my main concern is the oil gallery gasket blowing out which is not unheard with the vq35hr and early vq37hr engines in the Z and G. Apparently it's an expensive fix, ranging from $2-3000. Even if the 06-08 models have the inferior vq35de and 5spd I'd rather take that than fork money on a repair job that's half the car's worth. Do the M's of these years suffer from this issue?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I don't recall any issues related to oil or gaskets with the hr engines being posted. Of course, if someone beats the crap out of it, or races at the trac, that's a different story.
My 07 had the VQ35 with no issues to well over 100k miles. My 09 has the HR35 and no issues at over 100k miles. I highly recommend the HR over the VQ because of the dual intakes and 7 speed gearbox but both are relatively bullet proof if cared for properly.
You have to remember that Z and G owners are often younger drivers who modify, tinker with, and race their cars. I am not surprised by any history of engine repairs after that sort of use. I don't blame those engines, just those drivers.
The 4.5 and 5.6 engines seem to have the bulk of oil related, gasket related, and most recently timing chain issues.

eyedeekay

Larz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:11 pm
I don't recall any issues related to oil or gaskets with the hr engines being posted. Of course, if someone beats the crap out of it, or races at the trac, that's a different story.
My 07 had the VQ35 with no issues to well over 100k miles. My 09 has the HR35 and no issues at over 100k miles. I highly recommend the HR over the VQ because of the dual intakes and 7 speed gearbox but both are relatively bullet proof if cared for properly.
You have to remember that Z and G owners are often younger drivers who modify, tinker with, and race their cars. I am not surprised by any history of engine repairs after that sort of use. I don't blame those engines, just those drivers.
The 4.5 and 5.6 engines seem to have the bulk of oil related, gasket related, and most recently timing chain issues.
That is encouraging to hear. Despite all the reports of the Z and G's having issues with the oil gallery gasket I have yet to see any reports regarding the m and your evidence solidifies more so. I really want to step up to the HR for the motor and trans. The oil gallery gasket issue has me just worried because my current M35 is having camshaft timing issues at the moment (both because the car has 272000 miles, and the original owners really did not take care of it at all) and its been a real headache, car's performance is about half of what it should be.

Also, are the motors in the m45 unreliable? I was also considering used m45's but was scared of the various issues encountered after 100k miles or so.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

272k miles ??? Bloody Nora! That's the highest mileage I've heard of. I reckon you DO have camshaft issues. That's about the time for engine work - position sensors, timing chain, etc. Between the high mileage and the poor care, I'd be very gentle driving it, get all new fluids soon as possible, and keep my toes crossed, LOL. Long as you didn't pay too much, use it on occasion and baby it, you could get more years out of it. But I wouldn't expect to use it as an everyday driver and put 20k miles per year on it.

As for the M45's, I never owned one but I recall no postings calling them 'unreliable' or problematic. The only issue I recall with any frequency was oil loss and that is easy as checking and filling oil every so often between changes.

eyedeekay

Larz wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:21 pm
272k miles ??? Bloody Nora! That's the highest mileage I've heard of. I reckon you DO have camshaft issues. That's about the time for engine work - position sensors, timing chain, etc. Between the high mileage and the poor care, I'd be very gentle driving it, get all new fluids soon as possible, and keep my toes crossed, LOL. Long as you didn't pay too much, use it on occasion and baby it, you could get more years out of it. But I wouldn't expect to use it as an everyday driver and put 20k miles per year on it.

As for the M45's, I never owned one but I recall no postings calling them 'unreliable' or problematic. The only issue I recall with any frequency was oil loss and that is easy as checking and filling oil every so often between changes.
That's why I'm thinking of getting another one these cars, they are so bulletproof! I recall someone reaching 414000 miles with proper care/ maintenance and it was running healthy. Currently the car is just for local commuting, and I make sure to change the oil consistently too, just holding onto it till I can afford the next car. Also, my mechanic said its probably sludge blocking the VVT or an internal leak causing low oil pressure for the camshafts (All hands pointing to the aforementioned oil gallery gasket :rotflmao).

I also heard about the oil change consumption issues for the m45, wary because there are so few selling out there and many of the recent postings are very vague about maintenance records and condition of the car. Makes me question if the owners' are doing consistent oil changes/ scheduled maintenance.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

To answer your question, yes, the VQ35HR does suffer from that. I can attest from the other forums that I'm on. However, the demographic of the drivers who have this engine in their cars is much different from ours. In 350z/G35 cars drivers tend to abuse their cars more than us M owners and, hence, more issues. Don't let that stop you though, they are great engines. Just buy the lowest mileage you can afford.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”