DIY * tinting tail lights *

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
lemon
Car: 1979 rally nova

I see people still asking how to tint tails, i don't have photos uploaded yet, but i just did it a few days ago and it came out flawless, and not some crappy flat black smokey looking job either...

tools you'll need:
1 spray bottle with soap and water in it
wax and grease remover
600 grit sand paper
1500 grit sand paper
2000 grit sand paper
vht night shade
and clear coat ( i used duplicolor perfect match clear )
rubbing compound ( i used meguiers clear coat safe )
rubbing wax ( i used turtle wax )

this will take you all day, only due to drying time...

step 1 : wet sand the tail lights with 600 grit sand paper, and keep area wet at all times. this is to give the paint something to stick to. your tail lights should look dull and hazzy now. spray off what the sanding left behind with your hose. dry it off, and then rub down with wax and grease remover. Either let dry or wipe dry.

step 2: i picked up a spray gun type adapter for spray cans to make it easier, but now apply thin coats to the tails with the vht night shade. waiting about 10 minutes between coats. then wait about 1 hour or so and give it one more good coat that's a bit thicker. now let dry for 3-4 hours ( trust me...) , check on them and see if there "sticky" to the touch or anything, if they are, they need more time. They need to be compleletly dry.

step 3: once dry, wet sand very lightly with 1500 grit sand paper, until it feels like it has smoothed out under the paper. then move onto the 2000 grit sand paper until you get the same feeling, but make sure you have the area wet at all times. now... when you wipe this step dry, it'll look like you completely ruined the paint, but its fine trust me. they should look dull and not so pretty.

step 4: spray on the clear, i did 1 heavy coat, then let dry for 3 hours, then applied another heavy coat and let dry over night since it got dark, but 3 hours would be fine again. once dry, it should look great and shiny, but.. wet sand with the 1500, then the 2000 again until the paint under neath feels smooth again. after this your done with the sand paper and painting. and it should look awful again haha...

step 5: nowww its time to bring out shine, take your rubbing compound and use it on your tails. apply lots of pressure and use something like a kitchen rag. Then remove with something like a t-shirt. it should look great, i did this 2 times just to make sure (+ i have ocd haha )...now use your wax to seal the look and add some protection to the paint.

if you fallowed the steps they should looks flawlessly gloss black, almost as if it was a brand new black paint job.

good luck, i'll upload photos when i can :dblthumb:

Return to “Interiors”