DIY Tint

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
eyelonfang

haha im trying to save some money so im thinking about tinting my own altima. I found this website

http://www.snaptint.com/car-ti....html

Has anyone tried this before? What color should i get? Do you guys think it's manageable to do myself?

SniperJoe
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE CVT, Premium, Tech, VDC.

I purchased a set from them ... the best service you can expect. The parts were cut perfectly for my car & the on-line video's & instructions were great.

...however ... (you saw this coming) ... I am a perfectionist. Although the tint was cut exactly for the windows in the car I managed to trap dust between the tint & windows. Yes, I tried doing this myself. If I had a helper I'm sure the job would have went smoother. I did an impeccable job of cleaning, but I do not have a garage to work in & the day I did my install it was windy ... So in the end after doing the all windows & trying to live with the tiny trapped dust I just ended up removing the tint.

My advice to you is follow the instructions carefully & clean the windows very well. When you are done cleaning them ... clean it again, double check & clean again.

Good luck.

eyelonfang

looks like im buying it then haha i have a garage were i can install it. What color did you get? im looking at the true grey right now because it has the best functions but i dont know what it'll look like on a car. Im looking for a dark look. What will charcoal look like?o yea did you get the installation kit?

SniperJoe

I bought the HP True Grey ... 35% to comply with state law. It looked good on the car & yes, I did buy the install kit ... although the $14.00 was steep, the squeegees were well worth it.

Good luck!

eyelonfang

ok cool but i have one more question :PHow would i go by installing it on the rear window?

SniperJoe

I folded down the rear seats & sat on them with my legs into the trunk area. I also removed the rear brake light off of the rear deck ... it just snaps out, then disconnect the wire.

b88dragon
Car: Nissan Altima Sedan 07

I got the same kind of tints, but still a little confuse on how to do the rear. is it put on the outside or inside? and if inside wont it get in the defrost thingy? sorry for that a newbie to this and just wanna do everything on my own

SniperJoe

It goes on the inside of the car ... & yes it does go over the defroster lines as well.

... make sure & follow their directions!

b88dragon

ok tired your advice on the rear window and it went horribly array -_-... so after tryin to fix it a few times in the end i cuddnt save it, because i wasnt able to get near the very end of the window where it i the narrowest any suggestion on how to finish that part? also if i failed again anyone knows any good tint shops in boston? kinda screwed up on the driver side passenger window -_- and got a few bubbles as well along the bottom of most of the windows...need serious help lol

SniperJoe

Not sure exactly what you are talking about ... I know that it gets tight at the bottom of the rear window ... had to use the squeegee with my finger tips. Also used lots of the distilled water/baby shampoo solution to wet the window & tint.

In the end as I stated I ended up trapping dust & being the perfectionist I ended up just removing the tint. The install looked good & to 99% of the people looking at it it would have appeared perfect ... guess I'm just picky.

b88dragon

Hi, been awhile since i got back on here, but i failed horribly again on my rear window. how does the rear brake lights come off? cuz afraid to break something could u tell me in details how t take it off since i didnt last time and that how i screwed up my tint. thanks. also how would u take off the tints?kinda screw up on one of the back windows and also how did u remove the bubbles on the very top? cuz this might sound confusing but i have like a small gap between the window and tint itself. does the tint line up along the windows edges? thanks for the help when u do reply to this very much appreciated

SniperJoe

As far as taking off the tint I just peeled it off & cleaned up the glass.

The brake light just snaps right off ... no screws holding it on. After removal just unplug the wires at the connector which you will see.

The instructions on mine said that you can shrink the film on the back window to contour it prior to the installation.

Somewhere I read that there are several ways to remove the bubbles, one being using some white glue & another way that does not come to mind right now. The bubbles are there because of the factory applied paint on the inside of the glass.

Even though the tint was top quality, my install was not. I was not happy with it because of the small amount of dust & ended up taking off all of the tinting....

I am no stranger to cars & been a modder & hot rodder since high school, but next time I'll have a pro do the install for me. (Keep in mind that I did this myself - alone & outside with no garage. It would be easier & probably have a higher success rate if you had a helper & did this in a garage.)

Colton92
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S - WinterFrost

I did a write up on Rear Brake Light Removal it can be found here zerothread?id=369916

b88dragon

Sweet. THanks for the info and link that was really helpful. and yea i did the tints myself outside alone too and man was it a pain in the butt. Thanks again for the info. Gonna give them another shot once summer rolls around agains.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”