DIY rim scuff advice?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
Steverinie

Hey everybody! Total newbie here. Sorry to be introducing myself with such a selfish post, but hopefully this might help some other people out down the line ...

I just got a new G35 coupe about a week and a half ago. I've been on cloud nine ever since; it's my first new car and my last vehicle was a Camry that I got USED in '96 and had over 200K mi. It's been pure joy driving the coupe these last ten days (although I have a feeling I'm getting some pretty terrible fuel mileage right now, hehe) ...

Well, lo and behold, I pulled a LIP JOB in a fast food drive-through today. It's real sad b/c the car is pristine other than that. But that's all the more reason to get it fixed, right? However since it's not a huge gaff (about a 4 inch scrape on the edge, not the face) and since this might not be the last time this happens no matter how careful I am, I thought it might be useful to find a way to fix this myself rather than having a pro do it. I've looked all over the web and the closest thing I've found is this article:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml(btw, my scuff looks very similar to the one in the picture on that site)

It's for a "Porsche painted wheel". I have the 18" aluminum alloy (the tire & wheel package). Will the method from that website work on my rim? Do I need a different paint? Should I stop visiting drive-through???

Anyways, I thought I'd post here before going to the general Infiniti forum because you guys (and gals) seem like a tighter bunch and this is the forum I'll probably be visiting from now on anyways. Big THANKS in advance for any advice/help you can give!!! I don't really know much about cars, but I'm trying to learn.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Wow, I wonder if that would work on our rims...3 of 4 are scuffed on mine!

previous owner...he only had the thing for 5k miles...

Steverinie

Well, I'm willing to be a guinea pig and give it a shot, I just need to know how the procedure would differ for our rims compared to the one in that article.
Modified by Steverinie at 11:06 AM 8/1/2006

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Should work the same.

Doesn't appear to be too difficult of a job. Let us know how it turns it. Be sure to take some before and after shots.

Steverinie

I'll definitely take some before and after photos. I figure this could save us a lot of money in the long run. And what's the worst that could happen? I screw it up and have a pro fix it anyways, right?

The big thing I don't know right now is what paint to use. Filler primer, paint thinner ... ok, seems simple enough. But what paint color spray do I use? The same metallic silver he uses in the article? (In the article, the author states "Note that although this is a Porsche painted wheel, the WURTH wheel paint (silver) is used for ALL German painted wheels.")

And would I be right to use the same glass clear lacquer spray for finish?

slipnfall
Car: '06 D40

I curbed my 240 a while back and luckily only scuffed the one wheel(luckily it slid along the curb, with the brakes on). Anyways, I just used a dremel with a sanding disk to smooth everything out. From about 3' away you wouldn't even notice. Obviously 13yr old stock alloys aren't as important, but it saved me plenty of money trying to get them professionally repaired. The climate is pretty arid here do I didn't bother re-coating.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”