DIY: Replace your 240sx Convertible top

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Here’s an incredibly detailed and easy-to-follow guide (with pictures) to replacement of the convertible top on the 240sx convertible.

The Definitive Guide to Replacing your 240sx Convertible Top

Enjoy!

sgiovanni86

hey u posted in my tread saying got your top from topsonline.com. how long did it take yours to arrive at your house? and how long did the process take ?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

I ordered the top on the 9th, it got here either friday or monday (i was out of town from friday to monday). So about 10 days give or take.

I'm still in the middle of doing this job. I didn't post more than the removal, cause that's all I had time to do last night. It took me right around 3 and a half hours with stopping to take pictures.

I plan on having the new top preparation up tonight, and to start getting the new top installed (that post will probably be up thursday night)

My first top took days to do, but I was able to spend all day on it, not little chunks in the evening, and I was doing the job with a two man team. The plan is to have this all swapped over and ready by the weekend.

Juanit0
Car: 1993 Silvia Vert

Where you got a new one and for how much?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Topsonline.com $397.00 after shippnig.

Loki
Car: 1994 Nissan 240SX Convertible
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

Oooh, 400 ain't too bad. All I need now is the other 399! Awesome write-up

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL WRITE UP!

lovesSkylines
Car: 1989 240SX SE Coupe **VIP**

nice work on the write up and install....did you reuse your old screws and bolts? or buy replacement ones? if you purchased replacements were they are to find and/or expensive?

thanks

Hijacker
'94 F-150

I re-used the old screws and bolts.

guyaverage
Car: 240sx Convertible

Great write up! I do have to say though, I used a regular el-cheapo Home Depot staple gun and corrosion resistant staples and it worked fine for me.

Chukidori

Bumping an old post but...397? Im assuming you bought the vinyl top? Doesnt look too bad at all.

I need to replace the top on my vert...This write up showed me how tedious it is...and now im MORE scared to do it lol..I dont fully understand what im looking at in a lot of the pictures lol.

wmdavis007
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L

Chukidori wrote:Bumping an old post but...397? Im assuming you bought the vinyl top? Doesnt look too bad at all.

I need to replace the top on my vert...This write up showed me how tedious it is...and now im MORE scared to do it lol..I dont fully understand what im looking at in a lot of the pictures lol.
For $397 you used be able to get the Stayfast canvas top (same as OEM). Now they run $3 more, $399. They do sell Pinpoint Vinyl for $329. I'm sure his has the Stayfast top. Not sure why someone would want a vinyl top when a canvas one is only $70 more. Just remember if you buy a top yourself...for $70 more you will get about 4-5 more years out of a Stayfast canvas top then a vinyl one. You may want to check around with all the auto upholsterers in your area to see how much they charge to replace and install a top...and how much they would charge if you supplied the top. You may find they will not install a top you supply...at least that was my case. I only found one place locally that would install the top I bought online. Hope this helps. Good luck!

wmdavis007

metz1466 wrote:please help me with my top . I was told you knew everything about removing and installing the top
Just like Hijacker said...this is a step by step procedure of the removal and installation of the top. If you can't use what is posted along with the convertible supplement service manual ( http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/24...t.pdf) I would also suggest you take it to a upholsterer. But if you just need a few clarifications I'm sure Hijacker would be more then happy to help you...but don't spam the thread ...he will get back to you. Good luck!

1SickSilvia
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx vert

Hey Hijacker, I have a question for you, what size staples did you use for that Pneumatic Staple gun, I read through your thread but didnt see that part, thanks

wmdavis007

1SickSilvia wrote:Hey Hijacker, I have a question for you, what size staples did you use for that Pneumatic Staple gun, I read through your thread but didnt see that part, thanks
Not sure what type Hijacker used but in the FSM convertible supplement it says to use: ".50 x .31 divergent point stainless steel staples." Hope this helps out, guess Hijacker can chime in once he gets back online.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

1SickSilvia wrote:Hey Hijacker, I have a question for you, what size staples did you use for that Pneumatic Staple gun, I read through your thread but didnt see that part, thanks
To be honest, I don't remember the size staples I used. They weren't the "recommended" size, but they worked just fine and have held up quite well. I would check the box to tell you, but the staples are now quite a few states away

metz1466
Car: 1992 240sx convertible

thanks but no thanks for your help!!! sorry to offend you with the questions. I was trying to find out exactly how to put the stay pads , I am not as crafty as you with this . Though you could help but I quess I was wrong.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

If you had said that in your post aside from "Help me with my top", I would be more amicable to help you. I am not a mind reader.

I didn't touch on the staypads in this tutorial because they can be a pain to deal with. They keep the bows in alignment, and unless you build the jig mentioned in the service manual, you will probably end up getting them out of alignment if you pull the staples out.

metz1466

THANKS, how does one know if they have stay pads in the first place?? my top was redone and i got my car back but I started t get water in the back right side of the car. I checked the window and was able to put my hand in through the side is this corrected ?? camn a person just put thier hand through the side of the back window , or is the wiondow suppose to be connected the other part of the top ??

Hijacker
'94 F-150

This picture shows you what the stay pads are. They are long pieces of cloth that connect the bows together. If they weren't there, the top wouldn't fold and unfold properly.

I take it you didn't look at a lot of the pictures I posted, because you would have clearly seen that the rear window is a drape that slides into the 4th bow and is stapled to the tack strip. It's a completely separate part from the top material.

metz1466

I have seen your ost and printer the entire thread, I just dont seem to understand how the window and drape work ?? sorry for not understanding. I would like to know how does the window and drape hold together onceits on the bow, are the held together by velcro?? on the sides

Hijacker
'94 F-150

There's no velcro. It simply slides into the 4th bow and is secured to the tack strip. The top is stapled on top of the window drape at the overlap spot on the tack strip, other than that there isn't really any other securing spot for the top to the drape. It's all overlapped in how it secures to the top frame.

metz1466

ok I understabd about it over lapping on the top , but the side are what I am tryng ot understand ?? how does the stay pads over lap drapes? I side of the back light window is what isgiving me trouble , water goes in throught the side since they open , I can put my hand in and toughthe inside of the back of the car?? is tis right ?? I dont think so ??? please explain this to me if you can.. my number is 305-794-5175 if you prefer calling

whoareu
Car: 1993 rb25det s2 240sx vert

So i did my top this weekend. i started it on Friday evening and spent about 10-12 hrs on saturday then finished it up on Sunday in about an hr so id guesstimate it will take you the better part of 20-22 hrs as a first timer if your good at figuring stuff out. as a note i used T50x10mm staples you could use longer ones though. the old staples were about 3-5mm longer than the ones i used. but it shouldnt affect anything as the side that you staple your top to is flush against the car so the staples will not pull out. another note is the cloth will be extremely tight the first time you close the top. i was literally sitting/bouncing on the 1st bow while my wife was trying to latch the top down. but i might have made mine a little tighter than recommended. but it turned out amazing. i have no wrinkles in the top or the window. if your having issues securing the top like i was you can lengthen the latch mechanism a couple mm. that helped alot and it allowed me to be able to latch it down (otherwise i whould not have been able to close it) but it will allow you to strecth that fabric out a little at a time. My advice on doing this ( take your time, mark twice and cut once) Good luck.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

It can seriously be one of the most exhausting, frustrating jobs you'll ever do on a car. EdS13 brought his wife's vert to my house last year and we spent most of the day getting the top swapped out.

whoareu
Car: 1993 rb25det s2 240sx vert

then id say you did it in short order. lol. but i do agree it is a pretty big undertaking if youve never done this sort of work before. which i hadnt... and as a matter of fact i purchased my top almost 2 years ago and just now got to it. granted i had 2 deployments in that time but i knew it was at a minimum a weekend job, but it turned out really well (i have pics just cant upload at present) and i could probably do it in half that time now that i know the deal. i proabably spent a good 5 hours getting the rear drape just right only to find out that the velcro was on the inside :mad: so then i had to undo it and start over. lol. but very happy with the results.

cruesr
Car: 1993 240SX vert

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 240SX in Canada that came from California. the car needs new seats and a new top. Can someone please let me know if they have purchased a aftermarket top that worked and fit perfectly ? Also if you purchased one that was horrible what do I stay away from?
Thanks for your help!
Brad

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Welcome aboard, Brad.

Did you read the article? The top that is used in the article is the one we (convertible owners) have used and have given a big thumbs up.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Looks like my link has broken after 10 years. Here's an updated link to topsonline.com http://www.topsonline.com/model/Convert ... SX_SE.html

I've done 4 or 5 replacements using these tops. They're pretty much the best you'll get.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”