DIY: Nissan Transmission Cooler Fan Install

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

some of our Rogues have a trans-cooler (mini radiator). i am thinking of installing a small Rad fan, onto the cooler it-self. i would install a 180F(on) - 160F(off) inline thermostat to auto-control the temps. obviously i would video-document the install, from start to finish. so far the fan is around $22, and the inline thermostat is $28. this would certainly help cool the transmission on the hot summer days. according to the shop manual, our car's tranny fluid takes about 10 minutes for the CVT fluid to warm up to 50C to 80C or 122F to 176F at idle. so this fan would really only kick on when needed in traffic, towing, off-road, or any other slow & hot type of scenarios

any thoughts? would anyone else be in on this idea?

this is what it would look like:

inline thermostat:

kots1
Car: Nissan Rogue

I like that idea. Would this mount behind the mini-radiator - sandwiched between the mini and main radiator? Would it be blowing into the mini-radiator or drawing out hot air?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:I like that idea. Would this mount behind the mini-radiator - sandwiched between the mini and main radiator? Would it be blowing into the mini-radiator or drawing out hot air?
great questions.
this would be mounted directly onto the cooler. so the fan would be a "pusher" style, drawing fresh air from the exterior and pushing it onto the cooler. you would see the fan from the bumper.

like this:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Fascinating. I presume you have a way to document the fans effectiveness. Will you install a manual override? One other thing, do you anticipate any increase in noise level?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

our cars dont offer a trans-temp thermometer to be visible by any scan-tool. i will try a digital laser thermometer, and the thermostat itself as its own "test". if it turns on: pass. if it cools the fluid down enough to turn off: pass.

noise? not really. its just an extra fan. you wont hear it in the cabin, unless you are sitting still, in front of a garage door; which would reflect the sound back. its smaller than the 2 fans our cars already have

and i dont need an over-ride, as i want the tranny to stay as cool as possible. the thermostat is smart

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

my only question is, should i install the thermostat on the inlet, or outlet line? the instructions say: inlet. but then the fluid would need to cycle completely before returning back to the thermostat, cool enough, to turn it off.

if i install it on the outlet side, the hot fluid would come in, cool off int he rad, and only trip the thermostat if the cooler isnt sufficient enough.

any input? (its 1am and i am tired lol)

kots1

I just did my aux cooler upgrade with the Rogue kit. There is enough room to add a fan just like in your pictures. This would make this SUV semi-heavy-duty. I know in other cars, the fan also turns off at certain speeds. I wonder if it would be a problem if the fan is running while at highway speeds.

kots1

I did some research and this seems like a good deal for this project: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T3TQLKW

Thermostat: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C39C6I

I just have to confirm the measurements if it would fit over the OEM mini-radiator for our Rogue.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

sounds like a good test project. As you said this would mainly be for when sitting in stop and go traffic on hot days. If i remember correctly when going over 30mph fans don't do anything for cooling anymore.
The only issue I can see is finding the optimal operating temp since Nissan lists it as between 122F to 176F. I think you plan of on at 180F and off at 160F sounds good.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

so i measured out OEM cooler, and its only 5.5inches tall. the smallest fan i can find is 7inches. (remember the fan sticks directly to the mini radiator/cooler). so all 4 mounting holes wont align up with the cooler itself. i could do 2 holes, since the OEM cooler is 9 inches wide. i would install a metal bar behind the oem cooler, and mount the other two mounting holes to that. it would work; but you guys know me: i despise "settling". it doesnt make me feel good.

i am really at the point where i want to buy a larger cooler(mini radiator) and mount the fan to that. that would give me better cooling properties, and a clean install. then install the inline thermostat into the lines. and i am also at the cross-roads to just leave this alone, and buy more tools instead for the money LOL

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:I just did my aux cooler upgrade with the Rogue kit. There is enough room to add a fan just like in your pictures. This would make this SUV semi-heavy-duty. I know in other cars, the fan also turns off at certain speeds. I wonder if it would be a problem if the fan is running while at highway speeds.
do you remember which one was "in" and which one was "out" on the mini radiator? was the top
tube "in" and the bottom "out"(back to the tranny)

kots1

5.56 wrote:
kots1 wrote:I just did my aux cooler upgrade with the Rogue kit. There is enough room to add a fan just like in your pictures. This would make this SUV semi-heavy-duty. I know in other cars, the fan also turns off at certain speeds. I wonder if it would be a problem if the fan is running while at highway speeds.
do you remember which one was "in" and which one was "out" on the mini radiator? was the top
tube "in" and the bottom "out"(back to the tranny)
I didn't verify which is in vs out but based on the pic above you posted from another member, top is in and bottom is out.

darylzero

5.56 wrote:so i measured out OEM cooler, and its only 5.5inches tall. the smallest fan i can find is 7inches. (remember the fan sticks directly to the mini radiator/cooler). so all 4 mounting holes wont align up with the cooler itself. i could do 2 holes, since the OEM cooler is 9 inches wide. i would install a metal bar behind the oem cooler, and mount the other two mounting holes to that. it would work; but you guys know me: i despise "settling". it doesnt make me feel good.

i am really at the point where i want to buy a larger cooler(mini radiator) and mount the fan to that. that would give me better cooling properties, and a clean install. then install the inline thermostat into the lines. and i am also at the cross-roads to just leave this alone, and buy more tools instead for the money LOL
If you did this though you could flush your trans completely :) Rogue One posted a link in the trans fluid thread to 12 qt of Nissan CVT fluid for $170 shipped i believe.
DO IT!!

kots1

darylzero wrote:
5.56 wrote:so i measured out OEM cooler, and its only 5.5inches tall. the smallest fan i can find is 7inches. (remember the fan sticks directly to the mini radiator/cooler). so all 4 mounting holes wont align up with the cooler itself. i could do 2 holes, since the OEM cooler is 9 inches wide. i would install a metal bar behind the oem cooler, and mount the other two mounting holes to that. it would work; but you guys know me: i despise "settling". it doesnt make me feel good.

If you did this though you could flush your trans completely :) Rogue One posted a link in the trans fluid thread to 12 qt of Nissan CVT fluid for $170 shipped i believe.
DO IT!!
do you mean flushing via the tranny cooler lines? some rogue trim comes with auxiliary cooler for the tranny. u can also upgrade using a kit like what I did. I am contemplating doing a full tranny flush via the cooler lines soon.

kots1

Do you think adding an inline magnetic filter like this would also be a good idea? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014BCFC0

It seems like the CVT tranny is the weakest link in this car and whatever we can do to extend its life is worth looking into.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1: i am not sure this filter has the right flow-rate. i would hesitate to add this to this finicky transmission. you might end up doing more harm than good by restricting flow, which could cause a little back-pressure on the pump; and then the pump fails. i have heard of people using too thick of an oil (engine or trans) and the pump fails early, due to being over-worked.

darylzero

kots1 wrote:
darylzero wrote:
DO IT!!
do you mean flushing via the tranny cooler lines? some rogue trim comes with auxiliary cooler for the tranny. u can also upgrade using a kit like what I did. I am contemplating doing a full tranny flush via the cooler lines soon.
yes. If you do you should record or document it.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

heck no! lmfao i would rather just bring the car in for the jerking and whining and get a free new tranny with the "flush" included hahahahah

kots1

another idea, instead of using inline thermostat to control this additional tranny fan, can you just wire it parallel to the existing engine fan? I think one of them (or both) automatically turns on at certain temp and the other when A/C is turned on.

This makes the install simpler versus adding another component (inline thermostat) and a relay to shutoff when engine off.

kots1

darylzero wrote: yes. If you do you should record or document it.
Will do. I was also planning to document the aux cooler upgrade but I didn't because it took me a while to figure out how to get to the oil cooler block. Maybe I'll do a quick documentation while doing my upcoming tranny flush. Second time around shouldn't be that hard.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:another idea, instead of using inline thermostat to control this additional tranny fan, can you just wire it parallel to the existing engine fan? I think one of them (or both) automatically turns on at certain temp and the other when A/C is turned on.

This makes the install simpler versus adding another component (inline thermostat) and a relay to shutoff when engine off.
i also thought of that. just keep it simple, and allow the relay to feed the signal from the current fan system. but then i found the inline thermostat, and wanted to try it (i am a sunday driveway mechanic, so i love experimenting lolol). but i think you might be onto something; and i'll tell you why.
i really was trying to make this a simple, and easy, and CHEAP repair(if i can call it that) for people to watch & do. our cars' tranny is annoying enough, that i really wanted to make something for the people.

that being said, i might just do what you said. (let me just think out-loud)
install 7" fan.
ground negative fan wire
run positive upwards
install 4-pin relay fuse
pin30: to the battery positive terminal (you should install an inline fuse here)
pin85: directly to ground(anything metal)
pin86: 'signal' wire. you can wire this to the existing fan power wire.
pin87: this is the 12v (+) POSITIVE wire that will go to the new aux trans cooler fan

so as soon as the ac fan will kick on, the trans cooler aux fan will, too.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

BOOM: just scored this 6" fan kit. the reason i chose this exact fan, is because its smaller, which will fit our small cooler, and the fact that it has many mounting holes. this alone sold me on the $10 additional dollars over the competition. its only a few states away from me, so it should be here before this weekend. i am excited! stay tuned, fockers!

i will be wiring this via a 4-pin relay & waterproof 12v fuse holder. (i always have plenty relays, fuses, holders, etc laying around in my electrical supply box).

buy 12v fuse holder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002K ... ICSI3BNNC3

buy 4-pin relay: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HI ... PADM7N5BRV

buy 6" cooler fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084I ... CUG3C3RN5Q

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

My concern from looking at the setup would be how much of your cooler are you blocking with the fan setup? The components of the fan do restrict the airflow significantly because they are mounted on the front, and while you are drawing air in, you are also restricting air flow through the fins when the fan is not on.

I would personally install the cooler by itself first and monitor the temperature of the fluid to see if this is even needed. When dealing with actual radiators, they are able to cool the car without using a fan at all while driving. With the transmission, the only time it will really be needed is when you are moving (towing, etc.) and have air flow going through the cooler already. Perhaps the fan is a little overkill for this sort of thing and all that is really needed is a nice transmission cooler. Afterall, wouldn't the engine fan also serve to provide airflow since the tranny cooler is in front of the rad?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

TrevorK wrote:My concern from looking at the setup would be how much of your cooler are you blocking with the fan setup? The components of the fan do restrict the airflow significantly because they are mounted on the front, and while you are drawing air in, you are also restricting air flow through the fins when the fan is not on.

I would personally install the cooler by itself first and monitor the temperature of the fluid to see if this is even needed. When dealing with actual radiators, they are able to cool the car without using a fan at all while driving. With the transmission, the only time it will really be needed is when you are moving (towing, etc.) and have air flow going through the cooler already. Perhaps the fan is a little overkill for this sort of thing and all that is really needed is a nice transmission cooler. Afterall, wouldn't the engine fan also serve to provide airflow since the tranny cooler is in front of the rad?
well said, and i totally see your points. where i live, is a lot of standing traffic. fluids tend to start getting hot, when in "D" and yet not moving.
and i checked the vacuum of the existing fans by placing my hands on the cooler while the fans were spinning, and the existing fans were not that great. they worked.... but i would like slightly better cooling for the tranny cooler.

ps: i will try and install the cooler from the rear. ;)

kots1

5.56 wrote:BOOM: just scored this 6" fan kit. the reason i chose this exact fan, is because its smaller, which will fit our small cooler, and the fact that it has many mounting holes. this alone sold me on the $10 additional dollars over the competition. its only a few states away from me, so it should be here before this weekend. i am excited! stay tuned, fockers!

i will be wiring this via a 4-pin relay & waterproof 12v fuse holder. (i always have plenty relays, fuses, holders, etc laying around in my electrical supply box).

buy 12v fuse holder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002K ... ICSI3BNNC3

buy 4-pin relay: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HI ... PADM7N5BRV

buy 6" cooler fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084I ... CUG3C3RN5Q
Looks like a good deal because it already comes with mounting straps for the cooler fan. I'd like to get the same setup but I'll wait to hear back from your experience.

Excellent find and I am excited with this solution. I live in Southern California and it can get pretty hot in here during summers. I already got a tranny replacement but haven't really taken this car on a long road-trip since the CVT replacement. If we can find a good workaround to the CVT overheating issue, then this makes a solid, reliable SUV that I'm going to keep for a long time.

Thank you for your research and great contributions to the rest of us forum members.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

kots1 wrote:Looks like a good deal because it already comes with mounting straps for the cooler fan. I'd like to get the same setup but I'll wait to hear back from your experience.
i cant wait to tinker! lol
Thank you for your research and great contributions to the rest of us forum members.
:dblthumb:
thanks homie. this is by far the best car forum, i have ever joined. the members(staff and non-staff) on here are the best. folks are level headed, mature, funny, smart, and down to earth. i love taking & adding to this place. even our owner (azhitman) Greg is an awesome dude. family man, business owner, respectful, and a genius. this place is great.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

TrevorK wrote:My concern from looking at the setup would be how much of your cooler are you blocking with the fan setup?
I THOUGHT ABOUT IT SOME MORE LAST NIGHT lolol

and then i remembered how mercedes & bmw both mount the coolant fan, in a "pusher" style, and it works fine for them, so i dont think it would be a problem for me either.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

5.56 wrote:
TrevorK wrote:My concern from looking at the setup would be how much of your cooler are you blocking with the fan setup?

and then i remembered how mercedes & bmw both mount the coolant fan, in a "pusher" style, and it works fine for them, so i dont think it would be a problem for me either.
LOL leave it up to the Germans to be completely different!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i was using my torque app yesterday to see the duty-cycles of the high & low fans, and i think i want to hook up this tranny fan to the low speed fan; since the low speed fan is on more often. what say you?

kots1

5.56 wrote:

+1.
If the fan is off and driving at high speeds, it will just spin by the wind flow and allow air flow to pass through so no problem with blocking air flow. If the fan is running and vehicle is in high speed, it might damage the motor due to wind flow competing with the fan motor. I think the key is to confirm that engine fan is off when vehicle is at certain speed. I would wire it parallel to the high fan since it sounds like this is only running when engine has reached a certain temp and below certain speed.

Did you measure with Torque app while your A/C is on? A/C on may have kept cycling one of the fans.

Return to “Rogue Forum”