DIY Make a test pipe.

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

***PSA***This is for information purposes only. It is illegal to drive on the streets with out a cat.***PSA*** Performed on an 84 720 4x4

The purpose of doing this would be a temporary fix of a clogged cat or for freeing up exhaust flow on your budget off-road vehicle.

Remove the spare tire. There is a rod that connects through the rear bumper to a chain pulley.

Unscrew it to lower the spare then lift spare and slide the center holding mechanism out.

So Starting with the plate that covers the cat. remove the four bolts.This gains you access to the front two bolts of the cat, remove them.

Lift the exhaust out the back or remove the cat from catback section.

Watch out for this breather hose. I didn't see it at first now I know.

Its a shame to destroy such a clean cat but I have more so sorry to anyone in need.Here is the honeycomb you are trying to remove. In some cases this breaks off on its own and clogs the exhaust and if left will kill your motor.

I started by hammering a 1" pipe with a 3/4" ID Straight through. Weakening the honeycomb's center portion.

Next I pried with a tire iron around the outside towards the center. Scraping the steel mesh material out and breaking the comb up as well.

Here I am done after bout 30mins off work. Not including putting it back.

Now you have a test pipe. Clean up the sides and get new gaskets and install on your off-road vehicle. Replace hardware if needed.

Gutted Cat, gut your cat, testpipe, catalytic converter, make your own test pipe.
Modified by breadbox at 3:16 PM 10/23/2009

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Very nice write up.

DatSunMN
Car: 1980 Datsun 720

If that was a good cat you just wasted like 30-50$ You can refine the different elements in it and make hella doe.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

yeah, I wish I didn't destroy that one in particular and I did waste $30.

Once again its more of a temp fix. A straight pipe would be better for performance...or you could weld a straight pipe in it and it would be a straight pipe/test pipe.

Return to “Datsun Chat”