DIY M35/M45 Automatic Transmission cooler

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

Good afternoon folks,

'Adding an Automatic Transmission cooler to the M35/M45'

In reality this is such a universal upgrade (also easy to do) that technically it applies to any car with auto tranny. I decided to do this as I have a plan to get this car to the 300k mile mark. This upgrade will help longevity and reliability of the transmission. One EXTRA step you could take is to install a temp gauge kit. This would simply be installed inline next to the filter below. Some kits range from $75- $100.

Supplies:

1. Four Seasons 53015 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose, 54-Inch ($13.87)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E ... UTF8&psc=1

2. Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Transmission/Power Steering Filter ($25.95)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787 ... UTF8&psc=1

3. Hayden Automotive 677 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler ($38.16)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1

4. Hose clamps ($5)

5. L shaped bracket and metal screw. ($5)
Be creative here. I reused an old one that I had laying around but any will do from the local hardware store.

Total Cost = $87.98

Installation:

Step 1. Remove engine undershroud

Step 2. Look at the aluminum impact bar from below. Drill a hole 4" to the right of the tow hook. Pic 1

Step 3. Fasten your L shaped bracket to the cooler via any bolt and nut in your bolts and screws jar. Pic 2 and 3

Step 4. Connect and attach the rubber lines going to cooler. Clamp the ends going to cooler. Pic 4
To clarify: There is one hose that comes with the cooler and the one is the one your purchased.

Step 5. Attach cooler via the bracket against the impact bar. Make sure cooler is secure. Pic 5

Step 6. On the return line attach the inline filter. Use zip ties to fasten to radiator shroud. Pic 6

Step 7. Attach both lines to OEM cooler lines. Should look like Pic 7

Look at Pic 8 for reference of OEM cooler lines. Pic 9 is from outside the grill.

Took me about an hour and a half and I'm pretty slow. Wish I had a DIY guide like this so here I am paying it forward!

If you have any questions LMK :beer:
Attachments
pic 1.png
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic 4.jpg
pic 5.jpg
pic 6.jpg
pic 7.jpg
pic 8.png
pic 9.jpg

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Nicely done!

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

And now comes a question from one of the least qualified auto mechanics. Forgive my blissful ignorance. I love this idea and I agree it's great for everybody's car.
Will this cooler be added to the engine coolant system or is it a stand alone cooler that is added to the transmission directly? I guess my brain heard 'coolant' and ASSumed it was related to the engine radiator. Also, did you have to add fluid to keep the transmission full or does the same amount of fluid simply travel a bit farther to go through the new hoses and baby radiator? I am thinking I will have the dealer add this (using my parts) at my next oil / filter change.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

Larz wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:53 am
And now comes a question from one of the least qualified auto mechanics. Forgive my blissful ignorance. I love this idea and I agree it's great for everybody's car.
Will this cooler be added to the engine coolant system or is it a stand alone cooler that is added to the transmission directly? I guess my brain heard 'coolant' and ASSumed it was related to the engine radiator. Also, did you have to add fluid to keep the transmission full or does the same amount of fluid simply travel a bit farther to go through the new hoses and baby radiator? I am thinking I will have the dealer add this (using my parts) at my next oil / filter change.
Great question. I should have clarified. There are two opinions on whether to add this to the existing setup (radiator cooling ATF) setup or to make it stand alone. Each has pros and cons. A pro of leaving it inline to the existing radiator is that the ATF actually warms up faster. However, a pro of having the AT cooler by itself is that the high range of operating temperature is brought down lower (by how much depends on the system and I don't have a gauge right now). Also, some Nissans (and other cars also) have had the issue where the inside of the radiator mixes ATF and coolant. This will cause the tranny to go out or cause degrees of engine damage.

I'm estimating this upgrade adds about .75 qts to the ATF capacity. I kept the tranny full as always almost nothing spilled out it was all in the radiator. Of course you get two vaccum caps and cap off the radiator ends if you want. Conveniently, the cooler comes with two caps.

As some you guys know I also have a 350z and everything is so cramped in there. In the m35 there is so much room for upgrades inside the bumper it makes it so easy.

NavyBlue
Car: M35 RWD wanted to buy

Hello everyone ,

I have a Magnefine (Performance aluminum billeted) transmission filter with mounting bracket that I want to install on my next car purchase, which would be an Infiniti M35 from 2006 to 2009 with the 5 speed automatic.

As it is somewhat heavy, I think it would be a good idea to use the mounting bracket and tie it down with zip ties

I originally bought the Magnefine for my 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited. But the output nipple from the radiator on the Highlander was too thick for my non-OEM 3/8” rubber hose from Amazon. But 1/2” hose from Amazon was too loose. So my independent mechanic could not make the Magnefine work on the Highlander with the non-OEM hoses.

So I will try to make the Magnefine work on my upcoming summer car to be purchased, which I am hoping to be an M35 with 5 speed automatic.

So I am hoping 3/8” or 11/32” hose fit on the output nipple of the M35 radiator. I can buy both sizes if I find an M35 with low mileage to buy. And hopefully there is an appropriate space with surrounding structure of the M35 to tie down the mounting bracket and allow for easy servicing after 30,000 miles

As the Magnefine is supposed to filter out the metallic and non metallic wear particles so the solenoids don’t get clogged and the valve bodies don’t lose their pressure, will the Magnefine help to considerably extend the life of the 5 speed automatic transmission ?

Dxta
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

Nice idea, and this in my view, would prolong the life of your transmission system.

2007infinitim45s
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 S

do you by chance have a video of the precess?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”