DIY - HR Dual Short Ram Intake with OEM Piping

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

Overview: This DIY is to help construct a dual Short Ram system for the VQ35HR

Difficulty:2

Time:60 minutes

Cost: $100 - 200 Depends on the price of the parts

Materials: 2 - factory airboxes, 2 - AEM 21-201DK airfilters, 2 - 3/16 metal

stock for hanger.

Tools: flat screwdriver, hammer and Vice

ProcedureSome of the after market air filter setups are crazy expensive. After looking at the factory air boxes and piping I had to give it a try.

At first I wasn't gonna do this because I didn't want to destroy the factory boxes. I purchased a used set off ebay for $25 + shipping and went to work.I then researched filters for quality and sizing and came up with AEM 21-201DK they have 2.5" inlet and fit perfectly. I then cut the inlet pipes off the stock air boxes as close to the box as possible.

I mounted the AEM filters and temporarily secured them to try them out. They performed much better than the stock air boxes but I wanted to extend them a little closer to the front of the engine compartment. I then purchased 2-1/2 id x 2-1/2 od pipe adaptors. I cleaned and polished these and painted them with high temp paint. I then installed them over the OE pipes. They were a tight fit but I used a small amount of black O2 sensor safe rtv to ensure no air leakage. I then fabricated and installed support brackets. This system works very well and I have a total of $125.00 in this.

Step 1 Start with two factory airboxes

Step 2 Remove the airboxes form the OEM tubing

Step 3 Attache the AEM filter to the OEM tubing and tighten down with provided clamp

Picture of the OEM Setup

Picture of the Modified Setup

Extensions added.

Brakets fabricated from metal stock

Originally done by evografix

Return to “Nissan Articles”