USB charging cable
USB to cigarette lighter adapter
Red insulated Male disconnect
Heat shrink tubing
Soldering iron & solder
Small tubing cutter OR Dremel type cutoff tool OR other tool to open USB-to-cig adapter
*** IMPORTANT: *** Every automotive repair and modification manual, experienced auto mechanic, and car enthusiast will tell you to disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting any work on your vehicle. It is a safety precaution that will help keep you from getting shocked and, possibly more importantly, will keep you from damaging your vehicle's electrical system. The negative is the electrical systems ground and is represented by "-" or minus symbol and is usually black in color (red is positive). Disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting any electrical work on your vehicle.
Disclaimer: Use any and all of this information and instructions at your own risk. If you are not comfortable have this work performed by a trusted professional (not Best Buy).
- 1. Carefully cut the Cigarette-to-USB adapter open to expose the internal wiring. I used a small tubing cutter like THIS.
2. Solder the Red fuse holder and wire to the center connection
3. Solder the Black wire to the outer connection
4. Install the insulated male connectors to the wires
5. Test with 12v source to ensure the USB adapter is working
6. Cover any exposed wiring with shrink tubing; I also filled the open end (not the whole thing) of the UBS adapter with clear, nonconductive silicone. Test again
7. Disconnect the negative battery terminal
8. Remove the larger mirror/sensor cover by pulling straight down
9. Remove the smaller mirror/sensor cover by pulling it down straight away from the windshield, a 45-degree angle relative to the floor
10. Disconnect the mirror electrical plug by depressing the release clip and pulling the plug out
11. Install the T-taps onto the Red and Black wires
12. Plug the USB adapter into the T-taps
13. Reconnect the Negative battery terminal, press the start button twice for Accessory power, and test for functionality
14. Route the USB cable to your preference and/or application needs
15. Secure the USB adapter and USB cable and secure in cavity just under the edge of the headliner (vehicle options may change available space)
16. Reinstall both mirror/sensor covers