DIY CVT Fluid Flush through the Front Transmission Cooler

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Wax95
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Hello All!

New here at the forum and it has been a HUGE help for me with regards to maintaining my 2013 Nissan Rogue SV AWD. I just signed up and posted right away cause….

I am planning on (DIY) flushing the tranny fluid through the return hose on the front transmission cooler. Been searching for 2 weeks now if this is possible on said SUV but I cannot find anything with regards to this.

Would really appreciate a reply, feedback, opinions, etc etc about this!

localTradey
Car: 2015 Qashqai 2.0

unless you have a machine that is designed to flush, no matter what you do, there will still be at least half the fluid left.
So why take the trouble to dot hat?
Better to drain and fill at 1000k interval 2 or 3 times and you get most of the fluid replaced.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can flush through the cooler lines as long as you respect the flow direction, back-flushing isn't advisable because you're forcing fluid backward through the pump. However, unless your fluid is badly burnt or contaminated, any flushing isn't necessarily a good idea. CVT's don't make "ATF soup" like a conventional tranny because they have very limited clutch material. The little trash they do produce tends to wind up in the bottom of the pan, and flushing can just stir it up instead of eliminating it. If the fluid is reasonably healthy, you'll be better served to drop the pan while the tranny is cold and simply clean it out. As mentioned elsewhere in these forums, don't overfill when you replenish it. Overfilling by even a small amount is the #1 CVT-killer.

localTradey

btw. I did by extract and fill last Saturday.
I used a clip to remove the cap. I insert it from underneath. took me 4 seconds but requires precision at inserting the clip.
Since then I drill a hole on the side of the cap and the next time it will take me 1 second to remove the cap , using a small screwdriver!
Just insert screwdriver and pull.
not sure how to insert an image here.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

localTradey wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Since then I drill a hole on the side of the cap and the next time it will take me 1 second to remove the cap , using a small screwdriver!
+1, nothing wrong with busting that silly cap lock. The caps are sticky enough without it. Even us professionals hate 'em.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Turn 180 degrees. Boom. The end. :inoutgay:

Wax95

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:55 pm
You can flush through the cooler lines as long as you respect the flow direction, back-flushing isn't advisable because you're forcing fluid backward through the pump. However, unless your fluid is badly burnt or contaminated, any flushing isn't necessarily a good idea. CVT's don't make "ATF soup" like a conventional tranny because they have very limited clutch material. The little trash they do produce tends to wind up in the bottom of the pan, and flushing can just stir it up instead of eliminating it. If the fluid is reasonably healthy, you'll be better served to drop the pan while the tranny is cold and simply clean it out. As mentioned elsewhere in these forums, don't overfill when you replenish it. Overfilling by even a small amount is the #1 CVT-killer.

I’m planning on doing this one https://youtu.be/GIuraMjpt0k thru the blue flow by attaching a hose from the the oil cooler straight to a jug then attaching a pump from the jug with new oil to the hose going to the transmission. Btw fluid is healthy just wanted to change the fluid in my suv from the nissan cvt to the idemitsu cvt type n
Attachments
8BAED823-5E55-4AA0-96D4-1606E6A38133.jpeg
8BAED823-5E55-4AA0-96D4-1606E6A38133.jpeg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Last edited by Wax95 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wax95

localTradey wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 pm
unless you have a machine that is designed to flush, no matter what you do, there will still be at least half the fluid left.
So why take the trouble to dot hat?
Better to drain and fill at 1000k interval 2 or 3 times and you get most of the fluid replaced.
Was thinking about this one as well but what about this? What say you? https://youtu.be/GIuraMjpt0k

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I say get yourself 12 quarts and do a pan drop first then back to back drain and fills. I’m not familiar with the 13 model but my 09 on ramps takes exactly 4 qts and my 18 has the leveling port which spits out around 6 ounces of the 4 qts I dump in. The only time I I ever did a tranny flush was with an 04 Taurus and the trans was toast within a few months. I know the cvt isn’t a Taurus tranny but replenishing the modifiers and getting the crap out is the same on all trannys. Clean and accurate fill is key to cvt longevity.

localTradey

I saw the video on DIY flush on the Murano.
Let me give an example. You have a 4 bedroom house - with kitchen dining etc.
The house is filled with brown smoke (old oil). You open the front and back door. You blow in blue smoke (new oil) from the front door.
You wait by the back door, Initially you see the brown smoke coming out , being pushed out by the blue smoke. Eventually, blue smoke comes out and you stop the process.
Have you replaced all the brown smoke? There will be brown smoke in the bedrooms, dining etc since the smoke takes the easiest way out the back.

So similar with the video, I cannot tell if the flush goes from one end to the other end and pushes all fluid in between.

Similarly, if you drain and fill and without driving, drain and fill again. You may have replaced gallons of fluid but you have replaced all the new oil the second time since there some old oil located in other areas of the transmission.
So the video shows many gallons of oil being replaced, but you cannot tell if all the replaced oil are old oil. it could have just replaced oil from the pan, unless you know how the oil is flowing within the transmission during the "flush".

Wax95

D1dad wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:02 am
I say get yourself 12 quarts and do a pan drop first then back to back drain and fills. I’m not familiar with the 13 model but my 09 on ramps takes exactly 4 qts and my 18 has the leveling port which spits out around 6 ounces of the 4 qts I dump in. The only time I I ever did a tranny flush was with an 04 Taurus and the trans was toast within a few months. I know the cvt isn’t a Taurus tranny but replenishing the modifiers and getting the crap out is the same on all trannys. Clean and accurate fill is key to cvt longevity.
Yeah. Thats what I would think so too “clean and accurate fill”

Wax95

localTradey wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:08 am
I saw the video on DIY flush on the Murano.
Let me give an example. You have a 4 bedroom house - with kitchen dining etc.
The house is filled with brown smoke (old oil). You open the front and back door. You blow in blue smoke (new oil) from the front door.
You wait by the back door, Initially you see the brown smoke coming out , being pushed out by the blue smoke. Eventually, blue smoke comes out and you stop the process.
Have you replaced all the brown smoke? There will be brown smoke in the bedrooms, dining etc since the smoke takes the easiest way out the back.

So similar with the video, I cannot tell if the flush goes from one end to the other end and pushes all fluid in between.

Similarly, if you drain and fill and without driving, drain and fill again. You may have replaced gallons of fluid but you have replaced all the new oil the second time since there some old oil located in other areas of the transmission.
So the video shows many gallons of oil being replaced, but you cannot tell if all the replaced oil are old oil. it could have just replaced oil from the pan, unless you know how the oil is flowing within the transmission during the "flush".
True enough, I do not know how the flow is inside. Thank you!!! Appreciate it a lot!!!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:02 am
+1. You'll never get the last of it out of the torque converter even with a power flush. One pan drop and several D&F's is the way to go.

localTradey

casperfun wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:42 pm
Turn 180 degrees. Boom. The end. :inoutgay:
Turning the cap 180 degrees may have a risk of the cap being dislodge. During hot days and hard drive, the metal pipe expands and there is a chance the cap may pop off when it is loose or when you go over a bump.
The engine oil dipstick actually has a dipstick which stays in place even if the cap is loose.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I’ve haven’t had a problem for 27k miles or the last 4 years that way. So I’ve been ok so far.

It’s just a pain in the a$$ to remove the transmission dipstick. It could either take 5 secs or 5 min.

So I kept it unlock at first to check the levels but then I decided that I will never lock it ever since. :bigthumb:

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

That cap isn’t going anywhere if it’s turned backwards. I broke the tab off on my 09 years ago. If anything during hot runs the cap gets tighter. Whenever I service our 18 the cap is the hardest part of the whole job. When the warranty is up I’m snapping the tab off the plug.

Return to “Rogue Forum”