DIY Cooling Panel Fabrication and Installation

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

Cooling panels redirect airflow that would normally escape into the engine bay through the radiator fins thereby increasing cooling efficiency noticeably. This piece of metal/plastic/fiberglass can cost up to $100 online, but why pay that when you can build your own?

Difficulty: ***

Time: 2.5+ hours

Cost: maybe free

Materials:

- Template- .032 gauge sheet aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber whatever you want- 2x4 pieces of wood in appropriate length

Tools:

- Saw suitable for cutting the pattern out of aluminum- mallet for helping you bend the aluminum- power drill and metal bits- files

Procedure:

The template.
Just need to lay this flat on a sheet of aluminum and trace and bend it.

I already scanned it so if you guys want, just go to these links and download the images to your computer.Then print, cut, measure and tape then trace it onto a sheet of aluminum.Or if you're good with fiberglass and laying down carbon fiber you can do that as well.

How it all comes together.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
(Flip Pic4 horizontally to make the side piece for the other side) Print the sheets as default letter size or else it will be too big or too small

Weapons of choice
That huge file is from the 99 cent store. I used it to file down any major imperfectionsThen I used my dad's diamond embedded file to do the fine details to get it just right.

All those with a steady hand and some time can make a nice cooling panel.Bending is the hard part, I sandwiched the panel inbetween two exactly squared pieces of wood, no round edges.Squeeze the wood planks together with long screws and slowly bend the flap down against another piece of wood. Pain in the butt!

See if any local shops can bend it for you in the cheap.

I recommend staying around what I chose, .032 gauge aluminum.If it was any thicker it would've taken longer to cut and bend.

All done and mocked up.

-Razi

Return to “240sx Articles”