Dishonored

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

Has anyone picked this one up yet? Looks pretty awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ___7W ... ata_player

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

orangeNblue wrote:Has anyone picked this one up yet? Looks pretty awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ___7W ... ata_player
Got it on launch day, played through the Prologue chapter (aka: learn the controls) and maybe 30 minutes past that. Tight controls, good camera, and the world/atmosphere feels great - a kind of steampunky Victorian England with supercharged whale oil (seriously). Haven't played enough to give it a solid review yet but it feels good so far, I've had this on my radar for a few months now.

On a side note it's gotten great reviews across the board and has been tipped by more than a few as a potential GotY winner.

orangeNblue

I loved bio-shock and from what I've seen on the reviews, this is a must play for me...along with assassin's creed 3

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

For some reason, despite the fact that it looks very promising, I just haven't followed Dishonored that closely. Haven't bought it yet. But I'm having too much fun with Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2. And FTL. And Xcom. So it can wait.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Its in my GameFly que.....behind Assassins creed. I still have to play all three of those too....will be a while

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

It looked good from the commercials. I want to pick it up but AC3 and Blops 2 is coming... I dont have enough time for games anymore :(

orangeNblue

I know that feeling....I think I may reopen my gamefly subscription just so I have time to play these games without having to go buy them.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I ended up buying this last month. I finished it yesterday. It's a VERY good game. As Badger said, the controls are tight (with some notable exceptions). The abilities are varied and, while one could conceivably upgrade them all, they tend to be balanced in a way that allows you to focus on maximizing the ones that suit your playstyle without loosing effectiveness (that is to say there are no abilities that MUST be had to finish the game, save Blink, so you won't find yourself brick-walled by ignoring a particular ability in favor of another). There are combat-oriented abilities, movement-oriented abilities, and information-gathering abilities.

My playthrough was relatively "clean"--only killed when I had to, focused on stealth, and avoided including civilians in the mess. I made judicious use of sleep darts and found myself annoyed that I couldn't upgrade the number of them I was able to carry (you can upgrade your bolt capacity, but bolts are only used to kill and can require multiple hits, giving your victim a chance to shout for help).

The game measures the "chaos" you cause, and gives bonuses for going unseen or without killing anyone for each level. Yeah, I said level. It's weird to see a score screen at the end of a modern FPS level (the S is for Sneak in this case). But it presents you with numbers for enemies killed, civilians killed, bodies found, alarms triggered, etc. It's basically just a detailed loading screen, though, and doesn't feel jarring. It fits in between locations.

There are some less-than-perfect aspects of the game.

Despite the game's Assassin's Creed-like focus on mobility (climbing and Blinking), I encountered numerous areas in the map that SHOULD have been climbable or Blinkable but simply were not. For all the game's focus on "take the path you want" I found a fair number of times where the path I wanted was not possible--either because the developers didn't want me to go that way or because they didn't realize anyone would try that way; I don't know which. The final mission has a couple of guy wires I wanted to traverse, but they were raised on rock outcroppings that were not climbable--despite numerous shelves and handhold-looking bits, and despite them being low enough to Blink onto. Blinking just led to sliding back to the ground. I ran into the same issue with other map areas and objects, some of which seemed like they were begging for attention and to be climbed, only to deny my attempts. Really weird.

Also, despite the fine-tuning of controls elsewhere, Blink often became frustrating. The destination indicator is picky and a little vague. It can be hard to judge depth (distance) when aiming at elevated objects (chandeliers or pipes or things like that). Not only is it not always clear what you're "pointing" at, but it also requires excessive fine-scale fiddling of the aim to blink onto smaller surfaces. I learned to mash F5 (quicksave...have fun with your lack of that on consoles!) before blinking in case I screwed it up. I'd often blink just short of the surface I wanted, which left me hanging in space and then dropped me into the room full of enemies I was trying to sneak above.

And the MMO-style "hotbar" ability selection seems antiquated and insufficient and downright clunky. Once you have more than a handful of abilities, using the number keys to switch between them becomes tedious. Why can't I just bind a key to "Dark Vision" rather than having to give up my crossbow or switch from Blink to use it? Same for Slow Time. And why require separate hotkey bindings for ammo types? Why can't we just have a Bioshock-style ammo-switch function?

Still, it was a fun game, and the distopian industrial future-past is a great setting.

Return to “Gaming”