Disassembled console, shifter won't stay in drive

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
jiggersplat
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45x
1995 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd

So I broke my car already. I tried to install the Grom BT box, of course the harness they sent with it is apparently not compatible with my year or configuration or something. Figures.

Anyway, when I put the console back together, it took quite a bit of pressure to seat the shifter bezel and it won't stay in drive. I can hold the shifter in place and it's okay. I took the bezel back off and everything works like it should without it. Clearly I'm reinstalling it incorrectly or something is in the way. Anyone run into this before?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

jiggersplat wrote:So I broke my car already. I tried to install the Grom BT box, of course the harness they sent with it is apparently not compatible with my year or configuration or something. Figures.

Anyway, when I put the console back together, it took quite a bit of pressure to seat the shifter bezel and it won't stay in drive. I can hold the shifter in place and it's okay. I took the bezel back off and everything works like it should without it. Clearly I'm reinstalling it incorrectly or something is in the way. Anyone run into this before?
Did you put the metal retaining clip back in at the bottom of the shifter?

See my pics from when I installed:

howto-remove-radio-and-install-grom-usb ... 99297.html

or

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/removi ... 5-m45.html

Also, why did you buy a GROM after a specifically told you that the likelyhood of it being utter garbage was incredibly high? :rotflmao :rotfl :facepalm: :poke:

I'm just bustin on ya :)

jiggersplat

IlyaKol wrote:
jiggersplat wrote:So I broke my car already. I tried to install the Grom BT box, of course the harness they sent with it is apparently not compatible with my year or configuration or something. Figures.

Did you put the metal retaining clip back in at the bottom of the shifter?

See my pics from when I installed:

howto-remove-radio-and-install-grom-usb ... 99297.html

or

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/removi ... 5-m45.html

Also, why did you buy a GROM after a specifically told you that the likelyhood of it being utter garbage was incredibly high? :rotflmao :rotfl :facepalm: :poke:

I'm just bustin on ya :)
Yeah... I put the retainer clip back on. I suppose I could have put that on incorrectly, but I don't think that's it, cause it works fine if i just lift the bezel up.

And I bought the Grom because it's seems to be the ONLY option if you want bluetooth AND you want to have some hope of controlling it from the factory controls. I have an email to their tech support but I assume they are just going to tell me that it's not compatible with my car. :frown:

jiggersplat

Well for the record, there two little plastic squares that slide back and forth (not sure why you need these when you have a leather shift boot but whatever) and the shifter shaft needs to go through the middle of them, which would have been obvious had I bothered to turn the bezel over and look at it when I reassembled it the first time.

timothy.kelley86
Car: 2008 M35

Grrrr..... GROM!!!!! They screwed me to (not to get off topic to to much), unit is complete trash for sure. What would be the next best thing?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

timothy.kelley86 wrote:Grrrr..... GROM!!!!! They screwed me to (not to get off topic to to much), unit is complete trash for sure. What would be the next best thing?
Good job on fixing your shifter, JiggerSplat.

As for BT...I honestly don't know...I realize you want to control your BT via the factory controls but why not just invest some money into an iPod and get the USA Spec? Or hell, get the USA Spec anyway and just use the AUX cable to plug-in to your phone. The ONLY downside to that is you can't control your phone via the factory controls...but honestly the sound quality (compared to GROM) will make up for all of that lol.

Told you man, GROM is garbage. That company should just close up shop and stop stealing peoples' money.

jiggersplat

IlyaKol wrote:
timothy.kelley86 wrote:Grrrr..... GROM!!!!! They screwed me to (not to get off topic to to much), unit is complete trash for sure. What would be the next best thing?

As for BT...I honestly don't know...I realize you want to control your BT via the factory controls but why not just invest some money into an iPod and get the USA Spec? Or hell, get the USA Spec anyway and just use the AUX cable to plug-in to your phone. The ONLY downside to that is you can't control your phone via the factory controls...but honestly the sound quality (compared to GROM) will make up for all of that lol.

Told you man, GROM is garbage. That company should just close up shop and stop stealing peoples' money.
There is no USASpec for 08+ with navigation. I'll probably end up getting an old-a** iPod to work with the factory iPod harness and a 3.5mm bluetooth dongle for the aux-in and my android tablet.

You *really* hate Grom.

Ilya

jiggersplat wrote:
IlyaKol wrote:

There is no USASpec for 08+ with navigation. I'll probably end up getting an old-a** iPod to work with the factory iPod harness and a 3.5mm bluetooth dongle for the aux-in and my android tablet.

You *really* hate Grom.
Ahh, I didnt' know that (about the model offering - not sure why they wouldn't make one since it's the same stereo I thought)...but yes, I dislike anyone who charges an arm and a leg for a product that isn't just slightly inferior to the competitor, but COMPLETELY useless when compared to the competitors product. Same price if I recall. lol.

torettoveilside
Car: Infiniti M35x

My shifter won’t stay in D as it wants to go to N right away.
I bought a used shifter that matched my model.
I swapped out a little white piece that was broken on mine and that’s the not the fix.
I didn’t end up putting the used shifter in as I received it broken as a different price was broken on the shifter.

Any ideas why it won’t stay in D rive without my hand being on the shifter holding it drive?

torettoveilside
Car: Infiniti M35x

IMG_5994.jpeg
IMG_6207.jpeg
IMG_6208.jpeg
IMG_6226.jpeg
jiggersplat wrote:
Mon May 12, 2014 6:40 am
So I broke my car already. I tried to install the Grom BT box, of course the harness they sent with it is apparently not compatible with my year or configuration or something. Figures.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”