Disabling central locking as can't lock car

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
empov
Car: 1996 Nissan Altima SE

Hello,

The other day my trusty 96 Altima made some relay like clicking sounds on the left of the dash while driving. Now I can't lock it - as soon as I lock the door, the lock pops back open. The intermittent wiper also stopped working at the same time.

I don't see a fuse for this. Is there a simple way make it a manual locking car until I have time to look at it, so that I can lock it overnight?
As an aside, are the service manuals still available? When I expand the Altima section (or any section) all I see it a description of the car.

Thanks!

macgiver

What specifically is your method of locking ? ie. (assuming car shut down now ) 1 ) sitting in drv's seat, doors closed ( how many doors UNLOCKED ?) you push electric door-lock button ? 2 ) sitting in drv's seat, doors closed ( how many doors UNLOCKED ? ) you push drv's MANUAL LEVER ? you push other door's MANUAL LEVER ? 3) your standing outside , drv's door is open , you push electric door-lock button ? 4 ) your standing outside , drv's door is open , you push drv's MANUAL LEVER ? you push other door's MANUAL LEVER ? 5 ) while doing #3 OR #4 car unlocks ONLY AFTER you goto SHUT the damn door ????? .............:crazy: .............Then there's using a remote FOB ????? Ya , No ? Wacha do'in here?

If you have the door switch @ rocker panel that registers - " doors ARE completely closed shut" , and they are getting " sketchy " , they can create havoc with the locking system ( may have BCM or Body Control Module notorious ).

Also you MAY try removing fuses ONE AT A TIME and note which one kills that ' bad action ' . You may pull fuses you THINK are related to problem ? But can be confusing that way . BEST , in this specific case, to SYSTEMATICALLY pull fuses row , by row , in interior fusebox ,replacing if not the " one ", if no 'avail' .....pull fuses in another fusebox like in engine cmpmt. Do those all SYSTEMATICALLY one by one , then replace & goto the next fuse IN-LINE on that row !!!
Good chance of figuring out what you want to know in your question ,ya ? Manual ONLY ?:chuckle:

p.s.IF ya find it ,What's the fuse designated for AND can you drive AND live with it out ?Till fixed? :lolling:

Plan B = hang several cans on a string with bullet holes off your mirror , I put by my front door & NOBODY STEALS MY F 'N PACKAGES :rotfl

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Your ride has a "Door Lock Control Unit" to the left of the steering column underneath the lower dash panel (panel must be removed to access it).

96 Altima Door Lock Control.jpg
It has two connectors, a 12-pin and a 6-pin. Pulling both connectors will disable the system.

When you're ready to diagnose it, the most common cause of your issue is a failed door cylinder switch or failed "key in ignition" switch. The GRN/YEL wire at the Controller goes to both cylinder switches and should read around 10 volts with the cylinders in the neutral position and near 0 volts when a cylinder is turned to unlock. If one of them is stuck in the Unlock position it will prevent locking. Because they're wired in parallel, if you find a problem you need to check them one at a time with the other door switch disconnected in order to determine whether the left or right cylinder is malfunctioning. GRN/WHT and GRN are "confirmation" signals from the door lock actuators and should show 10 volts locked and 0 volts unlocked. RED/WHT is the "key inserted" signal and should be 10V or more with the key in the ignition, 0V with the key removed. One of those signals will be causing your issue, or else the Controller has gone south.

macgiver

Mean time your pulling the " discovered fuse " to get " manual operation "....and probly putting it back to drive again ?? :inout:

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”