Disabling AWD on 2011 M56x??

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Touch Connors
Car: 2002 Q45

Hello. I've been looking for an M56 and found one thats the color combo I want, in excellent condition with maintenace records (at Infiniti dealer even) and less than I was planning to spend. The only problem is that its an AWD X model.

I know the AWD on the G37x can be disabled by pulling a fuse, is the same true for the M56x? If not, what would be the most efficient way to disable it that won't cause issues elsewhere in the car? Removing the halfshafts seems the most basic, but all of the Infinitis that I've had have been rwd and I know nothing about their awd system.

Thanks!

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I used to not be a big fan of AWD systems on cars (vs SUVs where I think they are proper)...
I felt I didn't want the extra weight and complexity..

BUT I find the AWD systems from Infiniti quite good.
They are RWD biased and seem to work well.

Also they are among the lighter AWD systems out there and yet seemingly among the most reliable (we have never had complaints on the forums that I recall.... and you know how forums tend to magnify things)

For years I looked at M56s and M37 only to often be stymied by that so many of them were Xs which, at the time, I dindt want..
But now after driving a few Infiniti AWD loaners I have changed my mind..

I know this is not the answer u were looking for... but i thought I through this in here, even so :yesnod

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Really not a good idea to disable the AWD system.
It could cause all sorts of problems with the VDC (traction control system). If your front tires slip on a puddle, or wet roads, and the system attempts to activate the differential clutch -> to engage the differential -> to engage AWD = and nothing happens -> the sensor detect mixed/wrong signals = you could end up getting a 50% cut in engine power to stop the car.

Touch Connors
Car: 2002 Q45

Thanks for the input. My hesitation on AWD is largely related to MPG. The difference in performance is negligible, but I saw two articles that said the AWD is everyday driving gets much lower MPG then official numbers. I've arranged an overnight test drive so I'll be able to see what I get and either go with the AWD or keep looking for a RWD version.

EdBwoy

If the fuel economy factor carries that much weight, then I'd consider avoiding the M56 altogether.

The RWD & AWD are both rated for 16 mpg city, the RWD is rated for 24 mpg highway, and the AWD is 1 mpg less. Those are ideal conditions with new cars properly maintained and operated. The real world numbers can be very different.

I owned a M56x and put plenty of miles on it. I still had the RWD and ever so often I'd switch the vehicles. For day-to-day driving, we couldn't feel the difference in the driver seat or in the pocket book; in fact, the AWD is arguably a better driver. The ATTESA system made the M56X very sure-footed in every condition - rain, snow, straight line acceleration, cornering at speed etc. I never saw the SLIP light whereas our RWDs are very happy to swing their tails & activate the VDC system when pushed.
That might be a positive or negative thing to your driving style.

The reliability is pretty good from what I've seen so far, but if diligently done, then it's true that the AWD components add a marginal cost to the total ownership due to extra fluids & components.

Either way, best of luck, and I hope you get good examples to test drive. Take them to your daily commute/route & see which one would serve you better.

Another thing to consider is that the AWD vehicles sit a little higher than the RWD siblings and as a result show a little more wheel gap. Some like it, some don't mind it, while some hate it.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”