Dirty oil sensor???

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
miataeric
Car: 2005 FX 35 AWD

Hello, I just posted this on the G35 Forum before finding this one, so please excuse the double post, but I hope I can get some more technical info here, and I'll try to elaborate a little more......
My fiancee has been having issues with our 04 G35 6MT not wanting to start sometimes when the engine is warm, and sometimes not wanting to start at all, then stinking of unburned fuel when it does. I'm 800 miles away, so I can't really do much to troubleshoot it, but she talked to a friend who supposedly works on Nissans and Infinitis and he says there's a sensor that detects if the oil is too dirty and isn't supposed to let the car start at all, and he thinks this sensor is malfunctioning. Now I'm new to the brand before I bought this car, but I've never heard of such a thing before. Is this for real, or is the guy out of his mind? It surely sounds like some sort of sensor or electrical/fuel issue that she's having, but the dealership up where she's at refuses to work with my warranty company for whatever reason, so we're kinda stuck.
As far as maintinance history, I know that the last time the oil was changed was before I gave her the car back in November (I know, I know, I have everything here to do it when she gets down if she doesn't do it before). I also have about four pages of dealer service history that I got after taking the car in for a TPM issue. It's had the clutch/tranny replaced, had the TSB for the 1/2 fuel tank issue, had several visits for the alarm going off by itself and draining the battery, and seems to pick up every single nail that's on the road.....
Any clue about this "dirty oil sensor" or something else that could be the issue? The check engine light hasn't come on at all, so she hasn't had it read for codes.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

I haven't heard of any such oil sensor but I am sure its in the service manual if you want to try and fix it yourself: Nicoclub.com/FSM.

Do you have a OEM or "After Market" warranty?

miataeric

The warranty is an aftermarket one, but it's pretty comprehensive as far as coverage, and is nationwide.
I followed the link to the FSM, but any clue as to which section(s) I should look in? Is there a general troubleshooting section?

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I don't think there's any sensor like that... and I feel sure I would have heard of it by now. It certainly sounds like a flooding issue.

You might check with the warranty company to find out if they have a preferred provider in her area. It would be nice if there's a Nissan specialty shop that deals with the Z.

Heath

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

Nissan FAST only lists a oil temperature sensor and another website i saw says that G35's only have a low oil pressure switch. I also checked the service manual and found no reference to either of which I just said.

But I own a 1993 Q45 which is light years behind a 2004 G35 in terms of engine control. So I am not much of any help, sorry.

miataeric

Q451990 wrote:I don't think there's any sensor like that... and I feel sure I would have heard of it by now. It certainly sounds like a flooding issue.

You might check with the warranty company to find out if they have a preferred provider in her area. It would be nice if there's a Nissan specialty shop that deals with the Z.

Heath
I kinda figured it sounded like a flooding issues as well. Any ideas as to what this would point to?

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

What good is an aftermarket warranty that doesn't pay dealer rates or allow oem new parts at MSRP retail?...............some of them send used parts to shops and demand they use them.............only desperate shops deal with some money at any cost.

You could accept what ever money the aftermarket pays and supplement out of your pocket dealership costs.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

If the car cranks and doesn't start (w/ or w/o cel) I would wager a guess at the Cam Position Sensor. If the car doesn't crank I would check the clutch interlock switch.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”