Dilemma-- Sell my Q or Save?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Emerald-Q

Greetings,

I'm planning to buy another car this year, but I know my 92Q's market price is not that much. I'm debating whether to sell it or find a local Los Angeles expert mechanic in this forum to make it run like a champ again.

Details on the Q

92 Emerald,120K miles,All dealer records avail,New battery,90k mile dealer service done,--------------------Issues on the Q

Timing belt has not been changed yet,Plenum has not been cleaned,It has slight vibration,Not good gas mileage,Aftermarket CD changer was shorting out the battery, so took the fuses out for now. Seems to be some simple wiring deal.

My thoughts are, it needs new plugs, fuel injection cleaned, plenum cleaned, lower ball joints replacement, new stereo.then it will good to go.

My question is, if i were to sell it, what am I looking at?

Thanks guys.

Jesda

On the plus side, there's no timing belt.On the negative, there's timing chain guides that if not replaced, will grenade the motor.

120k is quite young, but the less you do yourself, the more you'll spend.

Assuming your body and interior are in good shape and it runs well, expect $2500-$3000 for your car.

I would keep it, because I know when things will go wrong and I can budget accordingly. Using this forum, you can save an insane amount of money on maintenance. If you love it, enjoy it, because the love for a Q45 is like nothing else (its slightly nuts). If you just need basic transit, then you may want to consider something else.

Welcome to NICO.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I guess you have to ask yourself for the additional money required to rehabilitate it, what else could you have? Your choice!

Jehangir
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45A

I'm a big fan of fixing your car. Afterall, what kind of a car can you get for lets say $6000. You won't know whats wrong with the car. The other choice would be to buy a new car. That car will depreciate $3000 the minute you drive it off the lot. According to my fellow NICOians 120K is not many miles for your car. You can replace the timming chain and guides along with the under plenium hosed and maybe an injector or two for around $3000. This way you should get the same headache free driving experience everyone needs. Now, if your bored with your car. Thats a different story. Get a new Q thats a different color and maybe thats a little newer and enjoy driving again.Good Luck

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I agree wiht the above. Wtih your current car, yo uknow exactly what your getting into and how to fix it. DOnt think by buying a new car you will know what the scoop is, youll just have to figure it out.. All used cars are going to have these sorts of things, especially ones that are 10 years old or more...

Seems like its been decently maintained... Do the guides, and then go from there..... This car should go another 150k with ease!

Emerald-Q

Thanks for all your comments. I guess I'm little bored with the car, but I remember how beautiful it drove on Mulholland drive.

The other car I'm considering, (I hope nobody beats me for this) is a Lexus ls 400.

But I don't mind keeping the Q, as long as I find a decent mechanic in Los Angeles area. If anyone out there in LA knows someone, shoot me an email.

Jesda

Emerald-Q wrote:a decent mechanic in Los Angeles area. If anyone out there in LA knows someone, shoot me an email.
http://www.jerrytucker.net/

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

I've only had my Q for three months, and I'm firmly convinced it's a hell of a bargain. The luxury is just out of control for the price-point, and the thing pulls like crazy. Even with the headches I've gotten already (damn picky fuel system and MAF), it's a great car. :-)

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Emerald-Q wrote:Thanks for all your comments. I guess I'm little bored with the car, but I remember how beautiful it drove on Mulholland drive.

The other car I'm considering, (I hope nobody beats me for this) is a Lexus ls 400.

But I don't mind keeping the Q, as long as I find a decent mechanic in Los Angeles area. If anyone out there in LA knows someone, shoot me an email.
The LS400 is a nice car, but you will pay 3 to 5 times more for it, and it is just a s tempermental as the Q.

Definitley find a good honest mechanic that lets you buy parts from Joe, in Scottsdale. ONLY use OEM parts, or parts approved by NICO, and NEVER Let problems go un-fixed. Even a broke antenna is depressing. I am sure the CD changer is getting you down. Fix it. You will feel 100% better about the car, trust me.

Jehangir

Hey Jeff,I replaced my 1992 Hu with one from a 94. The problem was the harness from the original Sony CD changer didn't match up. Then I bought a 6 disc clarian with a harness. But that doesn't seem to match up either. It looks like I have two female connectors. I've double checked and the harness is threaded the correct way because It matched the changer. Also I bought the changer from the nissan dealer.

Jehangir

Sorry Emerald I didn't mean to butt in to your thread.....

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Jehangir wrote:Hey Jeff,I replaced my 1992 Hu with one from a 94. The problem was the harness from the original Sony CD changer didn't match up. Then I bought a 6 disc clarian with a harness. But that doesn't seem to match up either. It looks like I have two female connectors. I've double checked and the harness is threaded the correct way because It matched the changer. Also I bought the changer from the nissan dealer.
INteresting, whats the P/n on the CD changer... They were all the same, i thought...

Jehangir

I'm not too sure which is the p/nClarion PN-2144U

B8183-C9961

or

RobertsnewQ

Wes - the 93 and earlier didn't have a factory changer. It was an FM-modulated type.

The 94 up has a different system with the wiring integrated into the harness.

I wanted to get one but when I realized how much work it would be I gave up.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I realize this... however he got a 94, and when you order the clarion CD changers for the nissans they generally come with the LONG harness... While the Q was pre wired, some others werent.... IIRC they used this harness when converting from the sony 10CD to the clarion 6CD..... Either way, I called Joe a few months ago about that and he said if you order the CD changer, you get the harness with it (enough cord to reach from the HU to the back part of the trunk)

So what he's doing is using a 94 head unit with the seperate wiring harness that goes to the CD changer to the head unit... So it should work just as if it was wired up..

J.. you may have the wrong CD changer, I have the clarion CV737....

Jehangir

I think you may be correct......which means I'm gonna have to buy another changer

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”