Difficulty Finding Proper Tow Cap (Aero Bumper)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
awashi43
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37xs

Hey everyone I've been a part of this forum for several months now, but this is my first post. Hoping you all can help me out as you've done for so many others over the years.

Back in July, I had to have my car towed due to a dead starter. I removed the two cap on the front bumper so that it could be pulled onto the trailer. I got an Uber home since it was late at night, but I handed over the cap to the driver before leaving. It was a pretty minor issue, so I was able to pick up the car the next day, but I discovered that the cap was missing, although the driver assured me he left it in the cupholder. I checked everywhere and never found it.

After driving around with no tow cap cover on my front bumper for a few months, I've grown tired of the look and would really like to get a replacement. Problem is, I haven't been able to find one that fits my bumper. I'm guessing it's because I have the aero package and it's more difficult to come across the part, because it's rarer. I had a Infiniti service guy order me one and I even ordered one myself with a different part code, but they're both either too wide, or too narrow. I've been scouring the net recently for the right one on Ebay and infiniti parts america, but still no luck. :confused:

Does anybody know where I might be able to find the correct part? Quite tired of ordering the wrong one and having to send it back.

Thanks in advance.

EdBwoy

Could you provide the color code of your car, as well as the part numbers of the 2 wrong parts you have already purchased so far?

awashi43

EdBwoy wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:21 pm
Could you provide the color code of your car, as well as the part numbers of the 2 wrong parts you have already purchased so far?
The part numbers of the two incorrect parts are:

622A1-1MA0A
622A1-4AM0A

Color code: K23

EdBwoy

I kept coming to the same part numbers you have listed but I'll forward this discussion to a parts guy I've worked with in the past.

EdBwoy

He's had to reach out even higher. Could you email me your VIN? [email protected]

awashi43

EdBwoy wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:41 pm
He's had to reach out even higher. Could you email me your VIN? [email protected]
Just sent it over to you Edbwoy. I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me.

awashi43

Ok, so I spoke to an Infiniti representative this afternoon and he informed me that my tow cap is only available with the purchase of another aero kit bumper and they are no longer in production. Basically what I’m trying to say is, if anyone knows of someone who is parting ways with an aero bumper please let me know haha. Thanks anyways for the help guys.

EdBwoy

I just got word of the same. Sorry I couldn't help you source it.
Hopefully your color code can also help advance this effort.

crrraaig
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x
2011 BMW x5 xDrive35i
2006 BMW 330xi
1999 Mazda Miata MX-5
1990 Ford Taurus SHO
1973 Norton Commando 750
1972 Triumph Bonneville 750
1966 Volvo 1800S

I have a 3d printer and would be happy to print a cap if/when you source one and have it scanned (some UPS Stores can scan small items for surprisingly cheap). This way you don't actually need to source one that you can have, just borrow for a little bit (or have someone remotely have theirs scanned). Of course it would still need to be painted, and likely some amount of finish work before paint, but hey - better than a hole in the... bumper.

Hope you are able to find one easily - I would be so PO'd if that happened to me.

awashi43

crrraaig wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:44 pm
I have a 3d printer and would be happy to print a cap if/when you source one and have it scanned (some UPS Stores can scan small items for surprisingly cheap). This way you don't actually need to source one that you can have, just borrow for a little bit (or have someone remotely have theirs scanned). Of course it would still need to be painted, and likely some amount of finish work before paint, but hey - better than a hole in the... bumper.

Hope you are able to find one easily - I would be so PO'd if that happened to me.
Interesting idea! Never thought of that. I might reach out to a few people via Instagram that have the aero bumper. Hopefully they’d be willing to do a remote source/scan. I’m not familiar with that process, however. What does it involve? Is it difficult?

crrraaig
2011 BMW x5 xDrive35i
2006 BMW 330xi
1999 Mazda Miata MX-5
1990 Ford Taurus SHO
1973 Norton Commando 750
1966 Volvo 1800S

awashi43 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:37 pm
Interesting idea! Never thought of that. I might reach out to a few people via Instagram that have the aero bumper. Hopefully they’d be willing to do a remote source/scan. I’m not familiar with that process, however. What does it involve? Is it difficult?
Proper equipment makes all the difference with regards to usability. While it is possible to create a 3d scan with your cell phone and a few dozen pictures taken on as even a plane as possible - getting a part that will fit in the hole just right is where the trick is, and hence the need for calibrated scanning equipment. Maintaining a 1:1 ratio is pretty critical.

Going with a service bureau that has experience making 3d models is the way to go. They would likely also be able to print the cap as well, but I can probably do as well as they could (unless they have a SLA printer - the type that congeals goo into a real part - I don't have one of those yet). Also, precise measurements can really help in a remote situation. You could find one in the area of the donor and pre-arrange with the service bureau. I would be stunned if they wanted more than $100 to make a printable model of the cap.

There are a few guys here that have the aero bumper, maybe someone will volunteer - after all, they are just a tow away from loosing theirs!

Bummed to see that Nissan does not offer a painted cap - turns a $35 piece of plastic into a pretty expensive part with paint... and $35 for $1 worth of plastic... Injection Molding is so 1990's.

EdBwoy

crrraaig wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:29 pm

There are a few guys here that have the aero bumper, maybe someone will volunteer - after all, they are just a tow away from loosing theirs!
Crrraaig, if you're still able and willing to help, I will take the offer and present my tow cap.
We can get in touch by email if you please - [email protected]

crrraaig
2011 BMW x5 xDrive35i
2006 BMW 330xi
1999 Mazda Miata MX-5
1990 Ford Taurus SHO
1973 Norton Commando 750
1966 Volvo 1800S

All right! Thanks Ed - I don't know about that tether, but the rest looks doable. Getting the front face just right... I dunno... but if you have to get it painted, maybe the body shop can put a final profile on it. I feel pretty confident we can get something that would index properly with the cover - just may need some bondo for the curve. Considering the cost otherwise... I'm all in. I've been looking for a reason to get a liquid 3d printer (SLA) and I imagine that it would give a superior front face, but I'm not sure about how easy it is to apply a finish to that congealed goo. At least we can get a high quality 3d model of the part and let the future figure out how to make it.

I'm still about 60% of the way through my "Lets datalog a Infiniti seat plate heater" project, but I have found a pretty affordable 3d scanner and I think I can get work to pay for it :) I'll be in touch over email.

EdBwoy

No need to keep the tether, that flimsy piece is the reason behind a few missing tow cover caps. It gives a false sense of security but can break off with little effort.
I told the seller to ensure he took the cap off and save it somewhere safe during transportation, lest I ended up on the waitlist with awashi43. Lol

Maybe this is an extra expense, but can you source raw material in the most common vehicle colors? I believe Infiniti colors can be found on the Dupont catalog, but I am not too familiar with the ease of customizing 3D print material.

awashi43

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I appreciate you making efforts to help me replace my tow cap. I just can’t scores your recent dialogue. If anybody needs to get in touch with me via email, it’s [email protected]. Thanks again!

- Aaron

awashi43

Hey guys,

I figured I'd open up this thread again, since I have still not had any luck tracking down a new tow cap for my aero bumper. Last week, I reached out to Everything Infiniti, who actually sell the aero bumper on their website. A representative got back to me today after some back and forth and he said that after contacting the parts warehouse, they concluded that they will not sell me a simple replacement cap, and that I would have to buy an entirely new bumper. Pretty incredible that you can grab a cap for either of the other bumpers for $20 off of ebay, but getting one for this bumper is next to impossible smh. While I hate looking at a literal hole in my bumper everytime I walk up to the car, it's not enough to get me to drop a grand on a whole new front bumper. I'm back to square one and honestly, I think the only possible solutions are the 3D printing method that some of you mentioned before, or a DIY solution that involves sticking a simple piece of metal or plastic over it as a makeshift cap. I'm not great with stuff like that, so I wouldn't know where to begin to be honest haha. As usual, I'm open to ideas and if anyone here has the aero bumper and wouldn't mind attempting to get their cap scanned somehow so a copy can be made, I would be beyond grateful. In fact, if anyone is able to pull that off, I'd be willing to pay a decent fee in exchange. Like I said, I really hate staring at that hole in my bumper...

Anyways, thanks again and I'm eager to see what this brilliant community comes up with.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”