Differential mounts?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
psyclone69

This might do better in the tech section

I was wandering if 95 240's with LSD have differential mounts, or what. I read a post about a guy with a 280z, saying he had the clunking noise when shifting hard, or letting out on the clutch. I have the same problem with my 240, and I was wandering if anyone knew anything about this, or how to fix it?Thanks

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

All 240sx Differentials have mounts. LSD and open. They have to mount to the chassis somehow.

Start by trying to isolate the problem. Determine where the noise is coming from. Raise the car and look for any obvious loose parts. If it's within the tranny or the diff, it may be something getting ready to give, but in most cases, you would get a noise that just varies with speed.

psyclone69

The whole problem is only when I shift hard, or downshift without giving much gas when downshifting. i have a clunking noise in the rear-end, it doesnt sound like an internal problem, just a mount or something, I was just seeing if anyone had a similar problem. A buddy of mine had a BMW 5 series with a 2 peice driveshaft, that always clunked all the time and it was just the bushing that connected the two peices together, but this problem sound further back. Thanks

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Well, just take a look at everything. It may just be a loose part...

NISMO24096

ok i have the same problem and i took it to a guy to look at it on the lift and he says that its the rear subfram mounts he showed me now much the mounts were moving and that one was torn some nismo has them. i need to order them and get them installed myself.... hope this helps ya

Two-Forty

I have a s13 I know I dont have lsd but I was wondering if I can get a used one off of a car and bolt right on, if so what make/model/yr will this be compatible with.

QuinGarcia

IF YOU HAVE A CLUNKING WHEN YOU CHANGE FROM ACCELERATING TO DECELERATING YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY CHECK YOUR U-JOINTS IN THE DRIVESHAFT. tHERE ARE, AFTER ALL, 4 WHICH COULD GO BAD

Dragon240

Ah hah, finally a place to post my question without starting a new thread. Ok.. So I'm pretty sure my U-joint(s) are bad. I get hella vibration (kinda like throwin' it in 5th at 20 miles an hour and flooring it) but its most all the time the clutch is engaged. Any gear, any speed, any RPMs, accelerating or not i get this hella vibration through the shifter and the whole damn car. So I think well go check prices on u-joints. Well i go to ****oZone and they say they aren't available. So I come home and hit Napa online and put in my car "1993 Nissan 240SX" and then search for ujoints and it comes back with 5 pages or 46 items. What is the difference in all these damn parts and which ones do I need? This has been going on for a long time, along with "clunking" when I dump the clutch, shift gears, or feather the gas in gear. Also recently i found out that if I downshift to 2nd at a point where it would put me around 5000-6000 rpms the moment I start letting out on the clutch I get this real loud kinda roaring noise (may be the clutch, I think my t/o bearing is nearly gone too. My concern is I'm about to make a 500 mile road trip back home and dont want to lose my driveshaft on the interstate somewhere. Help me out guys...

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

When you replace the differential you MUST rephase the drive shaft as there are 4 different shaft to diff possible positions.

This requires a dial indicator to mesure the shaft runout and to minimize...........you have a 25% chance of just getting it right without the measurement.

Always a good idea to use a frame lift and run the wheel speed up to a 100 mph while someone watches the shaft [and half shafts] and wheels for vibration...........it would be ideal to use 2 screw jacks to raise the rear wheels to the normal position instead of drooped 3,4, or 5 inches but this dampens much of vibrtion from tires ........to part/step test --wheels down wheels normal is best.

If you have time good idea to stress relieve the u joints every 30-50k.

S14 Wannabe
Car: Zeni S14

NISMO24096 wrote:ok i have the same problem and i took it to a guy to look at it on the lift and he says that its the rear subfram mounts he showed me now much the mounts were moving and that one was torn some nismo has them. i need to order them and get them installed myself.... hope this helps ya
Hmmm... I have the same damn problem but my car is auto. Could it be the same thing? And where are they?

And where are the U joints and how can I tell if they are bad?

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

I'm sure i have bad U-joints too. U-joints should move freely and dan't want to bind up in any way. I had the clunking noise too. Then later developed clutch enguagement problems. Turns out I had a failing clutch master and needed to adjust my clutch petal. Also when i put my new clutch in I lubricated the path the through out bearing travels. I have had no problems since then, no clunking. Also my tranny has about 170K+ on it, driveshaft and U-joints are from same car i pulled my manual swap out of. I blew my rear end a couple weeks ago, autocrossing is very rough on a car. Nick

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”