differences in the ka24de engines from different years?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Prodiclson
Car: 1994 240sx hatch

I was hoping to pick some of your brains a little bit with regard to the ka24de engines. Are they all the same block / heads / etc... I have a 94 240 and am looking for a rebuildable core and am not sure if they are all the same. Front wheel drive - different years - any differences I need to be aware of or things I need to look or look out for? All I really need is a long block, so I am not concerned with mounting brackets, different intakes, etc... but if certain years have different port locations / shapes or bolt pattern differences. Any differences in the materials such as cranks or rods that I should be aware of?

I am looking to just rebuild the core short block if I can get away with it along with some valve seals, timing chain, etc but not a full head rebuild.... Any particular problems with things like valve guides and seats that anyone has experienced? Any other issues, piston oversize limits.... anyne ever shaved a few thousanths off their head to bump compression? Clearance issues...? Are there certain companies I should be avoiding for rebuilding 'kits' ?

Again any help would be great... not new to enignes but this will be my first import...

Motor has 180,000 miles on it and purrs like a little kitten, but I will give car to my younger cousin to drive and would like it to be somewhat reliable for him for a few years

re-evolve
Car: 89 240sx

yes the ka24de are all the same. the 89-90 240s have the ka24e which your car doesnt have.none are fwd.for everything else, just use the search button. i still need to study my engine.also avoid ebay.

dnlx5
Car: 91 240sx s13 hatch 5speed sr20de (crashed but still driving)

some of them are fwd and these engines one of the camshafts is longer (i think to run the distributor) as well the valve cover is different. (come to think of it i think all the valve covers are diff but i think the 91-98 240 cam covers are interchangeable) The 91-94 kade had hotter camshafts than the 95 on ones also the intake manifolds are diff, but i think the ports are still the same. i believe the fwd motors also have diff cam profiles. umm brian crower says (in their stroker kit) 90mm bore is safe so if it was me id go with that umm late 89 and 90 ka24e pistons in a de motor give you 11.1 to 1 compression where early 89 give you 11,7 to 1 but i guess thats not reliable you can use 2 exhaust cams instead of 1 intake and 1 exhaust. i would say replace the berrings and the timing bits and itl run till 20k good luck and not to be a d!ck but they didnt make hatchbacks in 1994

let5l1de
Car: 89 coupe w/ silvia aero, le mans sunset "do the 626 meet! DO IT!

s13 "DE is a different head than s14 "DE" OBD-II head at the valve cover however I am unsure about the early s14 OBD-1 heads. The cams from the majority of KA "DE" engine family are interchangeable with the preferred cams being early 240 s13 "DE" engines and or a combination of s13 "240"/s14 "232" cams. The link to all your Nissan factory cam profile and personal preferences: zerothread/152578

As for manifolds, the only main difference i am aware of is the butterfly valve located within the manifold. s13 "DE" engine have them, I believe the s14 "DE" do not. It is also believed that the manifold without the butterfly valves (s14 "DE") may yield better performance numbers in the mid to upper rpm range due to Nissans' decision to remove the valves in turn increasing air flow.

As for the remainder of the engine, the block will accept just about any part from an KA "DE" equipped vehicle. The larger difference in components is between FWD to RWD vehicles. Secondly, the type and year of head and its valve cover.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”