Difference with straight pipe on a N/A motor and a Turbo motor

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

as the title statesive heard a few comments about str8 pipe being crazy on an n/a motor

but not as loud on a turbo motor.

i was thinking of doing a 2inch or a 2.5 inch straight pipe on my N/A SR.but most ppl try to convince me not to do that.

whats the diff. between putting one on a turbo motor and a n/a motor?

tEknoS13
Car: 93' Type X

Well you would probably get rid of some restriction of course, which I guess its good for a tubo car not sure about n/a. Something about backpressure not being good for the /a motor. And your car will be stupid loud

E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

tEknoS13 wrote:Well you would probably get rid of some restriction of course, which I guess its good for a tubo car not sure about n/a. And your car will be stupid loud
i know that.i just saw some ppl say it would be louder on a N/A car VS a turbo car.just wondering why

tEknoS13
Car: 93' Type X

oh, im seriously thinking myself

rico05
Car: 1992 RMS13 w/ CA18DET

The turbo acts as a muffler. That is why an N/A with a straight pipe will be louder. It may sound ok if you add a resonator and don't skimp on a cheap muffler. a Nice 2.5" with a Magnaflow resonator and muffler would sound nice.

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

rico05 wrote:The turbo acts as a muffler.
+1

Straight pipes sounds rabid on the KA. You won't be able to stand it for a street car.

carps13guy
Car: 91 coupe ka

ive heard of turbo race cars running straight pipe. but on an n/a it would be crazy loud. i threw revvs when i had my exhaust unbolted from the cat (really loud), and i could only imagine a megaphone type effect w/a straight pipe . but it would be bad, because n/a needs backpressure in order for the exhaust valves to seal properly. a turbo is all the backpressure you need, thats why turbo cars can run straight pipe.

SirSilvia
Car: Sold both my babies

I have a N/A KA and the old pipe after the cat broke finally. I bought new headers and a magnaflow cat, and ran out of money so I reused the old 2.5" pipe after that and now that it's broken off, driving around like that is loud as F@#&! like a tiger with throat cancer, and no power going up hill.

PyroTecK
Car: 1993 240sx SE 5speed fb

im running an na ka w/ a 3" test pipe 3" mid pipe and 3.5" axel back (fujitsubo power getter, i think thats the correct dimensions) and its insanely loud... i love it though. its not for everyone. i think if u go for a test pipe match it out to the size of the rest of ur exhaust. if the whole thing is 2.5" run a 2.5" testpipe.

disclaimer: im just throwing numbers out there of what i would do. i have no idea what this would do for u powerwise but na sr i would go 2.5 throughout.

SirSilvia
Car: Sold both my babies

I need to get mine fixed, I can barely hear my music anymore. can't creep passed the cops anymore either.

Gr8plainsDrifter
Car: 1989 240sx

i have 2.5 still has the o2 sensor, and a resonator after it, just no muffler, and i love it, ill make a sound clip soon.

a_ahmed
Car: 1991 240sx fastback

I would love to hear that, make the video man

roadboy240sx
Car: I like Nissans

i have a 2.5 straight pipe with just the muffler tip on a ka24de and its as loud as can be, gonna add a resonator to tone it done a bit

here is a 2inch straight pipe on a ka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._page

and straight out the headers ( makes it sound mean)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._page

pj
Car: 95 s14

turbo cars are generally quieter as the turbo itself acts as the backpressure and also muffles sound. they dont really need much muffleing and a big 3 inch pipe suits a turbo motor just fine.on na, theres nothing muffling it if you remove the cat, mufflers and the rest. smaller pipe=more raspy, popping sound. bigger pipe, deeper the sound but no less obnoxious.if you straight pipe your car you will regret it and want a muffler on it within a couple drives.itll move your powerband a little farther back, bottom end will suffer.cops will stop you, neighbors will hate you, children will hear you approaching from a halfmile away and when you actually drive by... they will sob and yell for mommy.no seriously, its that obnoxious.its funny and will make you laugh for a while but it gets old, fast.

roadboy240sx
Car: I like Nissans

ya you just described my car to a tee, im thinking 3in pipes with some flowmaster in line mufflers then to the tip, that should keep the tone i like but not as loud.

mine as it is nowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._page

EfiniRX7
Car: 93 FD3S not going anywhere, 2003 E46 M3 traded, s14 sold, 2010 camaro sold, now another kouki s14, FD did go somewhere, Now a 535whp rotary Kouki s14

I just put a 4-2-1 header on my s14, and regret it. I still have my muffler but the header makes my car sound loud and crappy. My KA sounds really ghetto with the header, I dont want to know what it would sound like straight pipe. My FD with the half bridge and a stainless exhaust sound's amazing with no muffler. The vibrations from the exhaust on my FD removed the windows from there tracks. I guess Im saying straight pipes suck in one way or another.

pj
Car: 95 s14

roadboy240sx wrote:mine as it is nowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v..._page
that doesnt sound too bad at all man. pretty good if you ask me, sound wise from the clip anyway
EfiniRX7 wrote:My FD with the half bridge and a stainless exhaust sound's amazing
I heart FD's

silvia_s14_racer
Car: 1998 Nissan 240sx Silvia s14

yea the straightpipe is louder and hella nicer sounding i have my mini cooper s straightpiped and thinkin of makin my s 14 straightpiped aswell

Hooked on 240

my hatch sounds like **** with the silencer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rKtWDroRc

i wish i switched my exhaust when i had the chance. i HATE the can.

3"Megan header3"test3" ebay speical cat back. <<<

Everyone around here calls it the 240truckster cuz it sounds like a truck( ya haha the ka is a truck motor... ive heard it all )

Return to “240sx General Discussion”