Difference between left and right motor mounts?

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Hi All

I can't tell the difference between them, I half expected them to be mirror images but they're not, they look the same as far as where the studs are and the locating dimple.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the left and right motor mount? Can I use two Rights and get away with it?

JayArr

JayArr
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe

Well, it seemed no one had an answe so I went searching on the web and came up with some data that I'll post for the next guy who has this question.

Left and Right mounts for a KA engine, in an S13 are the same height.

The right mount should have only one stud sticking out the top for the bracket that goes to the engine. The left mount should have two studs sticking out, the second stud is to mount the heat shield to protect the mount from the exhaust heat.

The OEM Nissan numbers are 11220 and 11220N.

It's curious that NISMO tells me that they are different, assigns two different numbers and sends two different mounts from two different factories but they are both the same part, the spacing, number of studs and the height are the same on both. It's also curious that if they are going to make two different parts that they didn't make the right hand side one without the extra stud.

If it's the same part why ship one nice looking one with all the numbers stamped in and the plates properly finished and one crappy looking one with poorly cut plates and a bad rubber casting job? The painted one looks like it was painted gloss black to cover up the poor rubber quality.

Why not just sell me two of the nice ones?

I've always heard good things about NISMO but this being my first experience with them I've got to say they seem sloppy, unknowledgeable and they appear to have poor research and quality control.

How stupid do you need to be to f*** up two identical motor mounts?

JayArr

schnabulator

Left and right mounts are not the same.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”