Project "Baller"

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
DALAZ_68
Car: 90' 240sx CA18det

ZenkiRHD180SX wrote:
You'll only ever see the back anyway
took the words out of my mouth...any chance u can email me the fuel line sizes and what not ...i want to get away from rubber hose and make mine a bit more bling once my build really begins

meminto
Car: S13 Silvia CA18DECT

Yeah mate, email on its way shortly...

How much detail are you after?

lol @ only the back of me....

ca18detgabby
Car: 92 s13 ca18det SOLD, 03 G35

I would totally bang the crap out that front end. freaking hot.

totally forgot that was your car.

looks better and better each time I open this thread.

s13redmon
Car: immobile s13 hatch

Daaammnnn that is gonna be a crazy CA. I just finished putting mine in about a week ago and I love it, such a smooth engine. But yea man, awesome engine and car.

meminto

Some more pics, starting on actually installing the fuel side of things in the boot... Not a very smooth day today, few things went semi pear shaped but all good..

I had nothing but trouble with the pickup pump today, snapped a solder joint and took ages to make the braided lines...

Making proper braided lines is a bugger of a job! The hard lines are not as hard to make, but are complex int angles etc...

Fuel Pickup Pump

Boot.. I hate using flash but had in the second pic as it started to sink into dusk..

Cheers

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Nice. I want your fuel sending unit, as mine has decided to go all crazy when it gets below a quarter of a tank. Mine is also way less baller-tastic than yours.

DALAZ_68

something along the lines of ur set up...a
meminto wrote:Yeah mate, email on its way shortly...

How much detail are you after?

lol @ only the back of me....
nice tank up top to avoiding any chocking suring the slidies, im trying to take percausions with my motor...

meminto

Hi Mate, You have an email, I forgot to add that the surge is 2 Litres...

Here is an updated view of the head with the RB valves, and the piston/rod (Not tight just sitting in the vice for the photo)

Here is a trial fitting of all the lines in the boot, I need to pull the floor out again to finish off a few things before final..

Just waiting on shims and piston to valve clearance check...

Modified by meminto at 10:08 PM 10/2/2008
Modified by meminto at 4:59 AM 10/3/2008

NUT-CSE
Car: 1988 Nissan Exa

Im so envious of you!

meminto

Nah don't be envious.... it has had its share of challenges...

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

I have really enjoyed watching this engine come together. Keep it up!

bentvalves
Car: 89 Silvia K's

lookin' good man!

modified squish area in the combustion chambers yea?

meminto

Yeah the squish area has been modified, some other modifications include line boring of the cam lobe recesses for the lobes to clear..

meminto

For those who want some more detail on the head work:

Other than the extensive porting, the valvetrain has been converted to RB25 solid specs, this was required for what I want to achieve, however I researched a number of valve stem length and head diameter combinations...

The RB25 Solid conversion was the best solution (The stem length is longer than its hydraulic counterparts)...

Here is a comparison (I will update the CA18 spring info when I have it handy)

As you can see from the comparison, there are much larger diameters to deal with in terms of valve head size, I must stipulate that larger is not always better, all these components have been thoroughly researched. calculated and matched....

The stem lengths have been machined down, but not to CA specs as it would defeat the purpose..

The cam specs I won't divulge just yet, (base circle is 29mm but you can put 2+2 together for a rough idea), however the lobe recesses were line bored to ensure correct clearance of the cam lobes themselves..

DALAZ_68

what was the full downtime for that head...im looking for a shop that can shine up my head nice and perdy when i rebuild...

meminto

I am unsure of the actual figure, but around 50 hours of work..

DALAZ_68

anychance u can email me the shop info...or figures i should be shooting for

meminto

Shop is in australia, I can still email the info if you want..

And figures as in? Downtime?

bradt
Car: 1989 240SX CA18DET

r34 gtr wrote:Nice. I want your fuel sending unit, as mine has decided to go all crazy when it gets below a quarter of a tank. Mine is also way less baller-tastic than yours.
Yeah, your pump is burned up. Fuel acts as an insulator for the pump to keep it cool. Most of it is exposed at > 1/4 so it starts getting hot.

Buddyworm

ZenkiRHD180SX wrote:
You'll only ever see the back anyway
I have officially been told.

DALAZ_68

meminto wrote:Shop is in australia, I can still email the info if you want..

And figures as in? Downtime?
downtime as in how long it took from the time it left ur hands to the time u got it back

meminto

I havent got it back yet, so far since dropping in all the gear it has been six months.. (Sourcing parts, resourcing parts, etc)

All the groundwork on what wwas going to work and what wasn't was the time killer..

Plus he has to fit mine in around his contracted work...

It could be done in 2 weeks with the project being 100% resourced..

MeanGreenS13
Car: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

everything looks good. but im gonna be a d!ck and say lose the hardlines all over in the trunk and put in braided line. The hardlines just look tacky. sorry. everything else looks great so far

meminto

Nah your not a d!ck, I like constructive critiscism. Althought the hardlines are not all over the trunk as such, only on the fuel side...

The hardlines are there as it is different to most setups, I also wanted colour coding of feed/return for ease of maintenance..

Most people will be more interested in whats in the engine bay, where every hose/line bar two (radiator) is braided line, screw on/off where possible...

meminto

Some more pics, welded bungs for dash lines...

Omori oil filter relocator..

Cheers

hotgemini

meminto wrote:Nah your not a d!ck, I like constructive critiscism.
All right, I'm holding you to that though...

Lots of things in the build have me either curious or unhappy. It looks like you're intending to run braided lines for the length of the car for the brakes, this is a bad idea, every car I've ever dealt with where they did this ended up with **** pedal feel and mushier brakes than they should have, twice I was involved in making the swap to hard lines with just braided lines at the necessary spots and with no other changes it made a very noticable improvement to the pedal feel.

As I previously mentioned, I reckon running dual hard lines the length of the car, then combining them and then splitting them again made no sense and just created additional work, expense and complexity.

I too don't like the hard lines in the boot or the layout generally, I think for the quality and care you've taken elsewhere in the build it really would have been worthwhile to better layout the fuel system, then modify that surge tank for a simpler and neater layout, there is elegance in simplicity. The unsupported hard lines poking up from the fuel tank take-off plate looks poorly designed and drags down the work you've done elsewhere.

I'm also not that excited by the prospect of piles of stainless steel braided hose in the engine bay, looks like a lot of work, money and effort for no performance gain, I mean heck, the low-pressure feed line to the power-steering pump? Don't underestimate the ability of stainless steel braided hoses to act as a chainsaw and rapidly cut their way into or through anything they rub against, the larger sizes are also not meant to be self-supporting over long lengths so to do the job well you really need to spend a lot of time making brackets and widgets to route and support them.

Other than that, nice build!

-Adam.

meminto

Hi,

Fuel lines have changed design to twin entry into the rail, twin entry out via "y" pieces on the rail itself, a mate of mine gave me a second opinion on my original setup and your right it made no sense...

My reasoning for changing to the stainless braid was for reliability, easy to work on if I have to change one, risk of splitting hoses is decreased significantly.. So yes there is no real performance gain, but the reliabilty was my goal..

I also dont require the turbo water hoses so it was a perfect time to redesign..

If the brakes feel particularly spongy, I will swap it back...

Fair call on the boot, I wanted to do something different, I have colour coded the feed and return for ease of maintenance... but the boot is not something that will be looked at all the time...

This wasn't going to be everyones cup of tea, but it's my cup if tea... I am proud of what I have built, considering I have no financial sponsorship as such, no professional trade background (I am an IT nerd by trade) and 80% of it was built by me with help from friends...

But cool, thanks for your critiscm, it gives me some ideas ...

DALAZ_68

honestly thats how critisim should be taken...wow...that was kew

bentvalves
Car: 89 Silvia K's

keep making YOUR dreams reality meminto!

looks like your covering all bases, in a very detailed manner.....excellence.

meminto

Thanks for the support guys, I don't mind constructive critiscism...

As an update, its going to be another couple of weeks before i get the motor back

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”