did my j30 lose a race.....

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
95-J30tt
Car: 95 Infiniti J30tt (Twin Turbo)

ok, i had a race today with one of my freinds who owns a 96 mazda mx6 "2.5L V6, stick, 170hp, stock except for summer tires", both cars run on premium gas, we raced from a stop but it was raining so of course his tires worked and he won because i was spining tires like crazy and he was not, so we decided to go on a 50Km/h roll, and he beat me by a big distance almost right at the start of the race...... i still didnt race him fairly from a stop though, but is that possible or is there something wrong with my car....., i raced a honda accord V6 last week, and i beat them from a stop and from a roll "70Km/h roll" "both i won but by not much" and the honda has about 200hp, i would appreciate your feedback on this.....thank you

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

stickier performance tires will help you lay down more horsepower on the pavement, which will aloow you to smoke more cars.

95-J30tt

yeah but how much more h. power will you get with summer tires, i mean he killed my car right off the bigining of the race could that be the only thing , i appreciate your repliesthank you

93j30t

it's not the tires you should be concerned with.it's the weight of the car, those accords are heavy buggers, how much did your friend's car weigh?

have you raced before? i mean it doesn't sound like you are too experienced in racing the J

95-J30tt

not much experiance in racing....... but i've been a driving for over 8 years "i'm a (take it easy) type of driver, however, i know that the j has a kick down switch which sets the engine and tranny to race mode which i use every now and then......", the MX6 is definately alot lighter than the J...., i'm meeting with my friend again this weekend. i would appreciate some help and tips and what should i expect "honestly i felt disappointed when i lost the race, i drove the MX6, and i felt that it is less of a car than the J......"

gr8scott72
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

First off, I hope you are taking this somewhere safe and not where you are going to endanger other people besides yourself with your racing.

Ok, you drive a pig!!! That's the bottom line. The J30 is HEAVY. Edmunds has it listed at over 3500 lbs.

They list the MX5 almost 1000 lbs lighter than that. They also list the Accord at 500 lbs lighter than you.

If you beat the Accord then something wasn't right with that Accord or they weren't trying. I had a 99 Accord EX V6 and it was much faster than my J. The horsepower is similar to the J in the Accord but the peak horsepower is 900 rpms sooner and the peak torque on the Accord comes on 100 rpms sooner and is actually more than the J.

J30 3533 lbs / 210 hp = 0.0594Accord 3020 lbs / 200 hp = 0.06622MX5 2625 lbs / 164 hp = 0.06248

Power and weight are only 2 variables out of many. The next most important one is gearing and the J is geared very high to make it more comfortable on the highway. This will make it slower accelerating though.

J30 final drive = 3.76:1 (I think)Accord final drive = 4.2:1MX5 final drive = hard to tell with my little internet research but it's at least a 3.84:1 and could be as low as 4.23:1

So, if you want a faster car, like I said before, get something made to be faster. If you want a very nice, comfortable cruiser the J works just great.

93j30t

[QUOTE=gr8scott72]First off, I hope you are taking this somewhere safe and not where you are going to endanger other people besides yourself with your racing.QUOTE]

I agree

[QUOTE=gr8scott72]If you beat the Accord then something wasn't right with that Accord or they weren't trying. I had a 99 Accord EX V6 and it was much faster than my J. The horsepower is similar to the J in the Accord but the peak horsepower is 900 rpms sooner and the peak torque on the Accord comes on 100 rpms sooner and is actually more than the J.QUOTE]

not so much agree

I've beat an 98+ accord (not very knowledgable on them, but i'm assuming you mean the coupe and not the sedan) but it was from a dig. RWD is always a plus to have when you are going from a stop. from stock setup the accord is 500lbs lighter but you have 15+ more hp, not saying much about what you do when you race, but i've been known to drop some weight in the car before having some fun like that. (say buh bye to the passenger seat and the back seat) from a roll... depending if it's a stick or an auto it would be a close race.

another great thing to think about in racing is the ability of the drivers. Experience can make even the most unpopular car a winner.

If you are going to race, do it responcibly. it's not just your life out there that is being risked. Take it to the track if you can, but if you dont' want to fork out the 20 bucks, be sure to be extra careful in whatever outlets you use.

gr8scott72

93j30t wrote:
gr8scott72 wrote:First off, I hope you are taking this somewhere safe and not where you are going to endanger other people besides yourself with your racing.QUOTE]

I agree
You must have gotten the jump off the line on him if you beat him or he wasn't trying very hard.
No, I was talking about the sedan. I had a 99 EX V6 sedan.
RWD is only a benefit when you have enuf power to brake the tires loose and in the Accord that I had I could pretty much just steadily put it to the floor and take off without spinning the tires and in my J, unless there is something on the pavement, like gravel or it's not smooth, it won't readily spin the tires either. So no real advantage to you having RWD there.
15 peak yes, but like I said earlier, the accord gets there sooner and actually has more torque so once again, no advantage for the J.
Great, so you dropped 50-100 lbs? the Accord could have an extra passenger and all the seats and still have the power to weight ratio advantage. And like I mentioned earlier, they also have the gearing advantage.
You couldn't get a V6 with a 5 speed in an accord until 2004 I belive so that is irrelevant.
They are both auto cars. You just push the accel pedal and go. What kind of experience do you need? Reflex off the line maybe but not experience.

95-J30tt

i'll gladly try to race an accord again and see, the 4 cyl. stand no chance as i have raced alot of them, the V6 however are a close call.... although i did win from a stop and from a roll, i will try again and post the results, and btw it was a 2001 accord coupe automatic "V6 3.0L, the fully loaded model, leather and all"

list of friends cars that i have tried racing:

1) 2004 crossfire, i lost

2) 2003 G35 sedan, i lost bad

3) VW golf 1.8T, i won from a stop "not by much", we tied on a roll "well you can say he kinda won from a roll"

4) honda accord 2001 "the one making all the confusion", will have to be redone.

5) acura integra 1998 v.tec leather , i won both races, from a stop and from a roll

6) 2002 "i believe" honda accord 4 cyl stick, i by far won both races

7) proche boxter 1999 automatic "tiptronic", i was surprised that he won by about 10 meters only.... "not a very good driver though"

8) VW golf 2.0 n/t, i won both races

9) mazda MX6 1996 stick "very good driver", i lost the roll, but we havent tried racing "well we did but it was raining" from a stop.

10) 2004 mazda 3 "not the sport 2.3", i won from a stop, i didnt try from a roll

11) 1998 grand am 4 cyl, won both. now to the wierd one.....

12) 2001 grand am GT "V6", i won from stop "not by much", he won from a roll "40Km/h"

as everyone can notice, the J's didnt win against many V6's, so i can say it is a slow V6, but i love the car

these are the races that i can remember, now these races were for fun only with friends and family, all cars are stock including my J, and i dont suggest anyone to go and race on the streets, we have a race track here in Montreal that we use, it costs a little, but it is also good to relief some steem every now and then we had a discussion about the mazda MX6 in another topic in this forum, but i think it was misunderstood for an MX5 "miata", MX6 is a coupe that was produced from 1992 till 1997 i belive, i would appreciate your response about that topic

gr8scott72

95-j30t wrote: i'll gladly try to race an accord again and see, the 4 cyl. stand no chance as i have raced alot of them,
With a 5 speed and a GREAT driver it would be close.
95-j30t wrote: the V6 however are a close call.... although i did win from a stop and from a roll, i will try again and post the results, and btw it was a 2001 accord coupe automatic "V6 3.0L, the fully loaded model, leather and all"
list of friends cars that i have tried racing:

Quote » 1) 2004 crossfire, i lost [/quote]Driven it in a 6 speed and auto. (Used to sell them.) Fast car. Don't even think about it if it's a SRT. EXTREMELY fast.
95-j30t wrote: 2) 2003 G35 sedan, i lost bad
Have driven both the sedan, coupe and the 350z. All three will smoke you.
95-j30t wrote: 3) VW golf 1.8T, i won from a stop "not by much", we tied on a roll "well you can say he kinda won from a roll"
If it was stock, he only has 150 hp and is still over 3000 lbs so I hope you won. If he has even a chip, bye bye J. Just the chip puts them over 200 hp and 250 lbs ft.
95-j30t wrote: 4) honda accord 2001 "the one making all the confusion", will have to be redone.
Still say it's faster than the J. Sedan or Coupe.
95-j30t wrote: 5) acura integra 1998 v.tec leather , i won both races, from a stop and from a roll
GS is a turd, GSR is a little better and would be a close race with good driver and 5 speed, type R will wax you even if it is stock.
95-j30t wrote: 6) 2002 "i believe" honda accord 4 cyl stick, i by far won both races
Poor driver on that. Should have been close.
95-j30t wrote: 7) proche boxter 1999 automatic "tiptronic", i was surprised that he won by about 10 meters only.... "not a very good driver though"
He could have been just playing with you. I like to do that to people in my golf.
95-j30t wrote: 8) VW golf 2.0 n/t, i won both races
My ten speed is faster than the 2.slow.
95-j30t wrote: 9) mazda MX6 1996 stick "very good driver", i lost the roll, but we havent tried racing "well we did but it was raining" from a stop.
I've always liked them. They were very popular when I was in school. It was an upscale Ford Probe.
95-j30t wrote:10) 2004 mazda 3 "not the sport 2.3", i won from a stop, i didnt try from a roll
Don't know anything about those
95-j30t wrote:11) 1998 grand am 4 cyl, won both. now to the wierd one.....
Don't doubt it. They are slow.
95-j30t wrote:12) 2001 grand am GT "V6", i won from stop "not by much", he won from a roll "40Km/h"
That is weird. I have sold several GT "ram air" V6's and they are punchy off the line.
95-j30t wrote: as everyone can notice, the J's didnt win against many V6's, so i can say it is a slow V6, but i love the car
Agreed, it's a very nice and comfy cruiser.
95-j30t wrote: these are the races that i can remember, now these races were for fun only with friends and family, all cars are stock including my J, and i dont suggest anyone to go and race on the streets, we have a race track here in Montreal that we use, it costs a little, but it is also good to relief some steem every now and then
Drag racing at the strip is fun with several friends there with you.
95-j30t wrote: we had a discussion about the mazda MX6 in another topic in this forum, but i think it was misunderstood for an MX5 "miata", MX6 is a coupe that was produced from 1992 till 1997 i belive, i would appreciate your response about that topic
Nope, I know what the MX6 is and I know what the miata is. (I'm a car nut and have been a car salesman for about 7 years.)

93j30t

gr8scott72 wrote:
You must have gotten the jump off the line on him if you beat him or he wasn't trying very hard.

No, I was talking about the sedan. I had a 99 EX V6 sedan.

RWD is only a benefit when you have enuf power to brake the tires loose and in the Accord that I had I could pretty much just steadily put it to the floor and take off without spinning the tires and in my J, unless there is something on the pavement, like gravel or it's not smooth, it won't readily spin the tires either. So no real advantage to you having RWD there.

15 peak yes, but like I said earlier, the accord gets there sooner and actually has more torque so once again, no advantage for the J.

Great, so you dropped 50-100 lbs? the Accord could have an extra passenger and all the seats and still have the power to weight ratio advantage. And like I mentioned earlier, they also have the gearing advantage.

You couldn't get a V6 with a 5 speed in an accord until 2004 I belive so that is irrelevant.

They are both auto cars. You just push the accel pedal and go. What kind of experience do you need? Reflex off the line maybe but not experience.
1st point, the guy was trying, i talked to him afterwards. it was close but i still beat him.

2nd point you are right in a since about rwd, however the J30 with good tires on it can get that result that i'm talking about. FWD (i am not a fan of in the least) off the line with the same hp and tq as a rwd will still not have the same advantage as the rwd car on the line. - side note... you've never broken the tires loose on the J30?

3rd point, by saying both autos make the race for non skilled drivers, there is a disrepancy in what you are stating about racing cars. auto still has a technique that must be learned, you don't just floor it and that's it... there's a bit more to it.

The J was not meant to be a race car, it's a luxary sedan. even though it is pretty cool to see the face on someone when you beat them in it (even the all mighty accord )

4th point the j never came with a manual setup, but it has been done, so i wasn't ruling out the accord either.

we can argue all day and night about numbers racing, however i believe this kid beat the accord, as much as i believe i got smoked by a 05 gt mustang.

as to a list of kills i'd like to state

a plether of civics (both manual and auto) 05 cobalt01 mustang v6scion xb (don't laugh...)mid year prelude (we raced for gas)lexus es300 (cai, full interior)96+ ford rangerand others that i can't remember at the time

deaths

05 gt mustang01 celica gts 6spd (exaust, intake, ecu) (he's quick... really damn quick)04 crown vic police package70ish dodge chargerneon srt-4

and some others

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

FYI gr8scott72, you golf is not fast. If you think an integra could "smoke" a J then you are smoking somthing.

I raced a 3.2 TL a couple weeks ago and took him by half a car length.

There is no problem with beating a crappry accord.

I raced alot of the same cars that 93j30t did, and with very similar reults.

gr8scott72

DominickJ30 wrote:FYI gr8scott72, you golf is not fast. If you think an integra could "smoke" a J then you are smoking somthing.

I raced a 3.2 TL a couple weeks ago and took him by half a car length.

There is no problem with beating a crappry accord.

I raced alot of the same cars that 93j30t did, and with very similar reults.
My Golf is alot faster than you might think. I have time slips to know how fast my golf is. But that is besides the point.

I didn't say an integra would smoke you. I was only talking about the type r integras which you hardly ever see.

I just found a site that has a list of 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times from some of the top car magazines

http://www.albeedigital.com/su....html

It still proves my point (first # 0-60 time, second # 1/4 mile time)

1992 Infiniti J30 8.9 16.71992 Infiniti J30t 9.2 16.81993 Infiniti J30t 9.0 16.8

(By 92 I assume they mean year tested in the magazine.)

1999 Honda Accord Coupe LX V-6 7.4 15.81999 Acura 3.2TL 7.4 15.7

1997 Acura Integra Type R 6.5 14.7

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

You cant compare street racing to track time done by professional testers. Different drivers, different cars, different roads, different conditions.

According to this there is no way I could have beaten the 3.2, but guess what it happened.

Racing is effected by alot more than just quarter mile time. I hardly ever race up to over 100 mph unless its on the highway, and by then its already time to slow down.

Maybe 1/8 mile times would be more relevant.

gr8scott72

DominickJ30 wrote:You cant compare street racing to track time done by professional testers. Different drivers, different cars, different roads, different conditions.

According to this there is no way I could have beaten the 3.2, but guess what it happened.

Racing is effected by alot more than just quarter mile time. I hardly ever race up to over 100 mph unless its on the highway, and by then its already time to slow down.

Maybe 1/8 mile times would be more relevant.
<sigh>I know that it's not the same. But it does take out the variable of what the car COULD do which still goes back to my statement that if you are beating V6 accords or whatever, then something is wrong. Either the driver isn't trying, doesn't know anything about cars, or maybe even something is wrong with his car.

And yes, I know 1/4 mile time are hard to compair to what you do on the street but those 0-60 times would be close and the accord/3.2tl are at least 1.5 seconds faster to 60 than the J

Car & Driver started doing a "street start" test many years ago. It is a timed 5-60 mph run that more closely shows the kind of racing that you are talking about. I bet that if you found an old issue with the J30 and one with the v6 accord, the accord is still faster in that test.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”