Did I put in excess oil?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
crackhammer
Car: Nissan Sentra 2006 1.8S Special Edition

Hello folks,

This is the first time me changing engine oil and the filter for my 2006 Sentra. Thanks to AZHitman for all help in the beginning, esp for giving confidence that I could do it.

When I drained the oil, I got a little over a gallon out. The FSM states that QG18DE needs 2 7/8 quarts with filter replacement. But since I got one gallon out, I put one gallon back. I tried reading the oil dipstick and honestly, I am not very sure I am able to figure out the level. I wiped the dipstick clean with the paper towel and stuck it in and if I figured correctly, it is above H.

So my question is, did I put excess oil and what happens if I leave it like that? I poured one gallon because I took one gallon out.

I don't want to rely on google answers, hence posting the question here.

Thanks in advance.

crackhammer

An update:

I could not wait for the replies. I removed the excess oil. Good that I installed oil drain valve so it wasn't a pain.

Now new issue. The oil that I drained is reddish in color when seen across the light and brown when looked in a pan. The oil that I put in was amber colored. What does that say? The oil filter used by the mechanic was s*** possible ($1.40 on RockAuto) So is it possible that there is a lot of gunk left in the engine?

What if I want to get rid of that gunk? What if I change the oil filter every month for a year or so? Will that help? I am just thinking out loud. I may sound paranoid or even stupid but we are trying to take this car to the grave due to a ton of medical debt. We can not afford car payments at this moment. So trying to do best I can.
Last edited by crackhammer on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

You don't want it above the "H" on the dipstick, right at the "H". Sounds like whoever changed the vehicles oil last over-filled it by
just over a quart if you emptied 1 gallon which is 4 quarts...

So If I were you I would drain out about a quart and see what the dipstick level is at, will probably be right on the "H" mark which is what you want.

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

crackhammer wrote: Now new issue. The oil that I drained is reddish in color when seen across the light and brown when looked in a pan. The oil that I put in was amber colored.
Not an issue at all, this is normal, motor oil is amber when fresh and new and will turn to the brown color over time.

crackhammer

04pathse wrote:
crackhammer wrote: Now new issue. The oil that I drained is reddish in color when seen across the light and brown when looked in a pan. The oil that I put in was amber colored.
Not an issue at all, this is normal, motor oil is amber when fresh and new and will turn to the brown color over time.
This was within 6 hours. Is it normal within 6 hours? The car ran only 5 miles within that period.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”