Denso Iridium Plugs for 2002 VQ Maxima?

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
2k2MaximaSE
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, 6spd

I have purchased denso iridium plugs for my 2002 maxima se and i'm getting ready to have a nissan dealership put them in. The service guy at nissan said that they do not recommend denso iridium plugs and that I may experience problems with them.

Does anyone know anything about this?

He also said that they recommend NGK so I don't know if it was a sales pitch or not.

All of the research I have done on denso plugs appears to improve performance.

I do have an injen intake, unorthodox underdrive pulley, greddy evo 2 exhaust. (Future hot shot headers and high flow cat)

Thanks for any help.

Paul

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

densos are factory replacements for toyota as far as i know. NGK would honestly be your best bet [OE Laser Platinums part number 6240 (plfr5a-11)] when it comes to spark plugs, each manufacturer has a certain brand and type for each vehicle (heat ranges and such).

ACDelco = GMChampion = ChryslerMotorcraft/Autolite = FordBosch = crap; i mean European (VW BMW MERC-BENZ VOLVO)Denso = Toyota, LexusNGK = Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi.

what it boils down to is: you wouldn't put ACDelco plugs in a ford, champion in a BMW, or denso in a nissan. it won't really hurt, but for the best performance and effectiveness, use the NGK's listed above. who cares if they're $10 a piece?

MaximA32

NGK PLATINUM FTMFW!!!!11!!1111!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Teh Denso iridiums are designed to be a performance plug. The major problem with them is going to be the ground electrode wear. Cars running coilpacks use double platinum plugs as a spark is generated at the center electrode and another at the ground electrode in every cylinder per every 2 revolutions of the motor. Since the spark goes bothways the harder material needs to exist on both electrodes. We may see a migration to iridiums in the future, but not until more double iridiums hit the market. The platinum plugs will work, but expect the ground electrode to wear out earlier than a double platinum plug.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”