Dell Forums

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I know this might go against the forum guidelines here, but I have been religiously using Dell products for ages. Whenever I post a question on the Dell Forums, I swear to god, the "Dell-Cares" moderator harasses me to give them my Service Tag for warranty things. Never seen this with any other forums at all. I just posted recently as of last night to see if anyone on the Dell forums could help me understand and diagnose what looks like to be a hardware-related issue.

But anyhow, I might as well ask here, since I won't be bombarded by a moderator that constantly DMs me saying "Please send your service tag" or something along those lines every single moment I post a thread for a question I have that isn't asked in the forum.

My issue here is that I got the Dell Thunderbolt 15 docking station and my main machine is a XPS 15 9560 that I've converted into a desktop. I am running a crap ton of VMs since I am taking classes for Cybersecurity and need to monitor my hardware resource usage due to only having 16 GB of DDR4 ram installed. I have my main monitor hooked up to the docking station, and a second monitor using the HDMI port on the laptop. I know that both Displayports are cooked on the Docking station (looks like a common flaw with the TB15 from Dell). My 3rd monitor, which used to be my daily monitor until 2020, uses a VGA connection. When I connected that to the TB, both the laptop and TB would only display 2 monitors.

I am confused on what is happening here, since the TB has a VGA port, HDMI port, 2x Displayport, and a Mini-Displayport; my issue is why can I not have 3 monitors running at the same time? The AC adaptor I am using for the TB15 is a 240W (thanks to Dell Sales for selling me a 240W charger).
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum

Return to “Computers / Electronics”