delay in acceleration

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
YOSSARIAN_Paso
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue

Hi everyone,
a quick question. I just bought a used 2016 Rogue SL AWD and I am quite happy about that, with one exception, and I am trying to understand if it's normal.
If I accelerate from 0 speed, everything is fine.
If I am traveling, I slow down (for instance to make a turn) to speed between 5 and 20mph (about 1200 rpm), and then I accelerate again, I get no response for a fraction of a second and then a rabbit jump; as if the transmission stayed like in 4th gear for a while at low speed, then realized with a delay that it was time to switch to a lower gear.
Now, it could be perfectly normal (I drove all life manual shifts, with the only exception of a BMW X1, which has an excellent 8 speed automatic transmission where I don't see this issue), and maybe I just need to get used to it

thanks!

DTASFAB

Welcome to Nissan! :mike

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

A Jack rabbit, jerky, shuddering start. I use to get that all the time after starting the car or leaving the stoplight. Some of the worse times was after backing down from a driveway and going from reverse to drive, the delay was ridiculous and the jerking forward was pretty bad.
A wtf moment for me everytime, Cuz, I didn't understand what was going on or if this was how a cvt runs.

Thought that was normal for this crappy cvt.

Then I did a CVT drain & fill, most likely the cure and also drained the differential & transfer case for added measure.

I no longer have that dreaded delay in acceleration. The best way to describe it is that it no longer has a disconnected feel.

It has a solid robust link from accelerator pedal to engine.

None of that jerky feel and mini whiplash I was getting before.

Dont settle for less, the whole reason for the cvt is to no longer have those shift points. Its actually suppose to accelerate like an electric golf cart.

If you really want to have that kinda normal delay in acceleration, I got that all day long when I rode with my ex in her manual Mustang and RX-8.

Hence, any delay in acceleration = not normal.
My 2009 Rogue no longer has any jack rabbit starts, shudder, or delays whatsoever.

OCD really magnified those symptoms, now I don't think about it no more. The last 30,000 miles I drive in amazement and appreciation in how it drives really smooth. Seriously, I can't feel my steering wheel vibrate. I have to make sure I don't grind my engine because i can't tell if it's on at times. So I glance at my rpm gauge to double check.

But it's always back in my mind when my cvt will eventually fail,

Original cvt here. :whistle:

DTASFAB

casperfun wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 pm
If you really want to have that kinda normal delay in acceleration, I got that all day long when I rode with my ex in...
...I thought you were going to say, "a cheap motel on a coin operated vibrating bed." :chuckle: :crazy:

YOSSARIAN_Paso

casperfun wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:40 pm
A Jack rabbit, jerky, shuddering start. I use to get that all the time after starting the car or leaving the stoplight. Some of the worse times was after backing down from a driveway and going from reverse to drive, the delay was ridiculous and the jerking forward was pretty bad.
A wtf moment for me everytime, Cuz, I didn't understand what was going on or if this was how a cvt runs.

Thought that was normal for this crappy cvt.

Then I did a CVT drain & fill, most likely the cure and also drained the differential & transfer case for added measure.

Wow, thanks for the explanation.
Although, I am still confused for a couple of reasons:
- why I don't experience it when I accelerate from 0 speed?
- the car has just 35k miles, isn't it too early to see these issues?

I can give it a try, any idea of how much a dealer would charge for the drain and fill?

YOSSARIAN_Paso

DTASFAB wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:12 pm
Welcome to Nissan! :mike
thanks!

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Have you ever noticed if the traction control indicator blinks when you take a turn? I can only speculate about your driving style, but I found that, for example, if I make a u-turn fairly quickly and sharply (especially from a higher speed) the TCS might kick in and restrain the throttle for a bit and then suddenly jerk once im straightening out and my pedal is pressed a bit too deep. Maybe keep an eye on how you drive for the next little while and try to be a bit smoother on your inputs and see if the issue persists.

YOSSARIAN_Paso

KoiMaxx wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:51 pm
Have you ever noticed if the traction control indicator blinks when you take a turn? I can only speculate about your driving style, but I found that, for example, if I make a u-turn fairly quickly and sharply (especially from a higher speed) the TCS might kick in and restrain the throttle for a bit and then suddenly jerk once im straightening out and my pedal is pressed a bit too deep. Maybe keep an eye on how you drive for the next little while and try to be a bit smoother on your inputs and see if the issue persists.
Hello, no the traction control does not blink.
The delay (which is quite noticeable, it lasts about 2 seconds) exists even if I re accelerate as smooth (or slow) as i can; in fact it's my only option, because if I try to press harder on the accelerator the delay stays the same and as soon as it's over the car jumps.

I noticed something interesting today: if press the side button (O/D Off) on the shifter, the "dead zone" disappear. Or, if I am in the middle of one of these delays, and I press the button, the car reacts immediately.
Any idea why?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

YOSSARIAN_Paso wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:22 pm
KoiMaxx wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:51 pm
Hello, no the traction control does not blink.
The delay (which is quite noticeable, it lasts about 2 seconds) exists even if I re accelerate as smooth (or slow) as i can; in fact it's my only option, because if I try to press harder on the accelerator the delay stays the same and as soon as it's over the car jumps.

I noticed something interesting today: if press the side button (O/D Off) on the shifter, the "dead zone" disappear. Or, if I am in the middle of one of these delays, and I press the button, the car reacts immediately.
Any idea why?
Yes. Because it's a JATCO CVT, and Nissan is satisfied with it working just like that. Do a web search for CVT rubber-band effect. Then take some time to read the posts in this forum on how these CVT's perform.

rabidus
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue
2012 Nissan Quest

This happens to me if I slow down hard and ABS kicks in. My brakes are close to needing changing, maybe new brakes will fix it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”