Defective Valve Body on Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bpost
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008 SL AWD

Great forum. Just got a Rogue last month. First post. Had a big problem that requires a long story, but could use some help and understanding if you have the time. Here's the situation:

2008 Rogue SL AWD with at only 700 miles on the car. Engine light comes on and the car acts funny. Accelerates really really slow off the line. Almost acts like there is little to no transmission fluid in the card. Affects the car for maybe 20 minutes and the returns to normal, but "service engine soon" light stays on. Look online to find that gas cap not on tight enough is common problem. Tighten cap. Light stays on for a couple days. Decided to disconnect battery and reconnect to get the light off and see if the light triggers back on. Light stays off everything fine.

Then about a week later light turns on and cars act the same. Lasts until I get home and turn the car off. Next time I drive it, it's fine, but the engine light still on. Take it to dealer and he gets a PO845 error code from the diagnostic computer and says the "valve body" is "broken" and needs to replace entire CVT transmission.

Sadly, at this point in time the Valve Body can NOT be order separately as a part and the entire CVT transmission needs to be replaced (big expense). Apparently Nissan just allowed the valve body to be ordered separately and replaced on the Nissan MAXIMA CVT. I asked the dealer if the Rogue Valve Body would be able to be ordered separately in the future since the Maxima valve body just came out. He said, "Probably. And that would be a significantly cheaper fix." Super lame that Nissan doesn't have the Rogue Valve Body part offered right now.

You're probably saying "it's under warranty". Well... it's not. Special case here. I bought this car from a retired guy that used to work at a dealer and this Rogue had damage to the left fender during transport from factory to dealer. Dealer claimed "total loss" on vehicle at 9 miles. This retired guy got it from the dealer, put on a new fender, and sold it to me for a great deal ("great" might not be so true anymore). Anyway, I bought the car with only 45 miles on it. Still had a the shrink wrap on the interior. Then this happens, but the car is a "salvaged title" and is not under warranty. Told I need a new CVT for basically 7K.

I'm taking the car back to the guy I bought it from and he's going to see what he can do, but it's seems that I'm dealing with an intermittently working Valve Body which has affected driveability twice in the last month, but who know what it will do in the future. While Nissan offers the Valve Body on the Maxima CVT they don't offer it on the Rogue. So it's pay for a whole new CVT or nothing. Then I'm left with the option of waiting and hoping that Nissan eventually offers the Valve Body for the Rogue in the near future (don't know what they would cost either).

Does anyone know if Nissan will be offering a Valve Body in the near future? Anyone know how much it costs? Think I can still drive the car with this problem? Also, has anyone ever had or heard of this issue?

I'm sure a lot of you are saying "that's what you get for buying salvage" and yes, I know... Just trying to figure out why I can do now.

Sad sad sad day for this Rogue owner.

Brian

philipa_240sx

Hello,

Welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Here is a bit of information which I hope will help:

Valve body for the 2009 Maxima is about $800 US. Unfortunately the Maxima CVT is competely different than the Rogue.

The Rogue has the RE0F10A transmission which is shared with the Sentra SE-R and the Altima 2.5. I have checked online parts listings and there is no valve body available for the Altima 2.5 or Sentra SE-R either.

I do not have any contacts within Nissan so I cannot even guess if and when a valve body will ever be offered. This transmission has already been out for nearly 3 years and there still isn't a valve body available for it.

My best suggestion is to start scouring salvage yards/auto recyclers for used Rogue transmissions:

http://car-part.com/

I did a quick search and found a few. Go ahead and check for yourself.

Good luck!

bpost

Thanks for the reply and the link.

I checked one out and they said that they only sell the whole transmission. Granted it's a million times cheaper that getting one from Nissan, but curious if you know if there is a way to only replace the valve body. If I find out the valve body is bad but the transmission is fine, I would hate to replace the whole transmission with under 1K miles on it with a junk yard tranny.

I'm not a mechanic so I don't know if what I'm talking about is even possible (i.e. replacing the valve body only on the CVT)

philipa_240sx

I may have found something for you:

Nissan has issued a technical bulletin for the 2007 Sentra SE-R equipped with the CVT. Here is a summary:

Quote »NTB07-090 - 2007 SENTRA SE-R; CVT NOISE

IF YOU CONFIRMA high pitch “woo” type noise is heard inside the vehicle when:• The transmission is at operating temperature, warm enough for torque converterlock-up to occur.• The torque converter lock-up is engaging or is engaged.• Accelerator is slightly pressed less than 1/8 throttle opening.• Vehicle speed is between 10 and 40 mph.

ACTIONS• Replace the control valve body assembly with the part listed in the Parts Informationsection of this bulletin.[/quote]The TSB lists a part number and replacement procedure for the valve body assembly.

Now, although the Sentra SE-R uses a similar engine and transmission as the Rogue, there is no guarantee the valve bodies are compatible. But at least we know the valve body is replaceable. Should you find a used Rogue transmission, you can swap the valve body which is much cheaper labor wise.

I have sent you an e-mail with the TSB in PDF format.

bpost

Thanks so much for the help! That's good to know.

The problem happened again last night and it occurred after driving the car a bit of a distance (around 30 miles highway). When I eventually came to a stop and tried to accelerate, it was like a slow turtle off the line (we also had 4 big guys in the car). For the rest of that drive it acted the same. I would floor the gas pedal off the line and it slowly moved off the line as if I had a lawnmower engine in the car. Got to me to thinking and the problem has only occurred after some driving. It's never happened cold. Don't know if that's any clue into diagnosis.

Return to “Rogue Forum”