Deep battery drain with 2010 Infiniti EX35

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
sxy

Hi,
My wife has a 2010 Infiniti EX35. I replace the battery with Optima yellow top batter (which is supposed to be much better than average).
Tonight her car battery got deeply discharged when she stopped by child care to pick up our daughter. She couldn't even open the trunk.
I was able to jump start her car and she drove around for 10 min or so. Then she didn't have any issues to start her car a few times driving around for errands.
This has happened a few of times in the past year or two. I drove it to autozone to check the battery health and it was fine.

Curious what could have gone wrong? If Optima battery known for sudden deep discharges or there could be something wrong with the car that's consuming the battery at a fast speed?
Thanks

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

sxy wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 pm
Hi,
My wife has a 2010 Infiniti EX35. I replace the battery with Optima yellow top batter (which is supposed to be much better than average).
Tonight her car battery got deeply discharged when she stopped by child care to pick up our daughter. She couldn't even open the trunk.
I was able to jump start her car and she drove around for 10 min or so. Then she didn't have any issues to start her car a few times driving around for errands.
This has happened a few of times in the past year or two. I drove it to autozone to check the battery health and it was fine.

Curious what could have gone wrong? If Optima battery known for sudden deep discharges or there could be something wrong with the car that's consuming the battery at a fast speed?
Thanks
Did you check the alternator output voltage with your multimeter. Should be 14.4v with the engine running across the battery.
Is the battery accepting a full charge?
Check the individual cells with a battery hydrometer.
It is possible to have a defective battery even if it was just replaced
Also check for a parasitic draw with the engine off.
Some audio systems have been known to cause a battery drain

sxy

I got the battery and alternator checked and both are fine. So I bought a battery charger to charge the batter once in a while. So far so good.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Check for a parasitic draw

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”