Dealers Blast Nissan CEO, Deliver ‘an Hour and a Half of Reality’

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Maybe this will actually get Nissan Exec's thinking and changing things!

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/ ... f-reality/
Japanese executives traditionally take company failings very personally, often performing penance in the wake of scandals and downturns. In the case of fresh-on-the-job Nissan CEO Makoto Uchida, his punishment for the automaker’s dismal financial situation and tumbling sales was an earful from a group of angry U.S. dealers.

The dealers let Uchida have it during a recent meeting at Nissan’s U.S. headquarters — the first such meeting since Uchida’s elevation to CEO late last year. It’s not like he didn’t ask for it.

According to Automotive News, Uchida specifically asked for brutal honesty from the group of retailers. “I’m here to listen, don’t hold anything back — even if it’s hard for me to hear,” the CEO reportedly told the group.

What followed was an hour-and-a-half rundown of every gripe dealers have with Nissan, ranging from concern over brand image (it’s too low-rent) to weak residual values and untimely product updates. The automaker’s efforts to pull back on incentivization also doesn’t sit well with dealers. They want money to help move product, a change in the automaker’s compensation plan for dealers, as well as more help on the marketing side.

While Nissan continues holding the line on fleet sales and reduced incentivization — an effort aimed at boosting residuals and placing the struggling automaker on a more solid financial footing — it hasn’t done anything for brand sales, especially in the United States. Volume shrunk 9.9 percent in 2019, with sales weighed down by an even worse-performing Infiniti.

As 2019 drew to a close, reports emerged of Nissan scrambling to cut costs wherever savings could be found, including on air travel. A two-day January furlough of U.S. workers only served to highlight the company’s desperation.

One dealer claimed the room demanded more autonomy for the company’s U.S. business, much like Volkswagen of America asked for — and got — from its rigid parent company. As one retailer is quoted as saying, “if you don’t [provide] all the resources today, the check later on is going to be even greater.”

Nor did the dealers like Nissan’s focus on high-tech things. Consumers, they said, want to know what a brand can do for them, and U.S. advertising should reflect this. “Our technology message is getting lost in translation,” is a comment one source recalls. “Self-driving cars may be great in Japan or different parts of the world, but [in the U.S.], people are not responding to it.”

While Uchida reportedly told dealers he has “a plan” to fix Nissan’s ills, without divulging much more than that, the group gave the CEO credit for showing up and taking the heat. The situation is the inverse of when Carlos Ghosn headed the company.

“No one in the room ever dared tell Carlos Ghosn what he didn’t want to hear,” one dealer said.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Good.
I have high hopes for the new guy. Sounds like the dealers told him some solid stuff. When I saw Nissan's autonomous driving effort at their 80th birthday party, it was pretty clear they were far behind the competition, and yet putting quite a lot of stock in it. Nobody there really seemed to care about it much either... nor did they care about the Leaf or Leaf based "race" car (I drove it... it handled well but the brakes and acceleration sucked).
Everyone was drooling over the Infiniti Emerg-e concept car and the Juke-R... and we all know how many of those they didn't make. Hell, people were even still asking about the Infiniti Essence concept from a few years prior.
2009-infiniti-essence-concept.jpg
2012-infiniti-emerg-e-concept.jpg
2012-infiniti-emerg-e-concept (1).jpg

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Hopefully, Nissan can bring back some great vehicles if this new executive board is better than the outgoing one. And I have been reading that Ghozn said that Nissan will go bankrupt in the next 2 to 3 years.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

I would like to see continued support for the enthusiasts. Every brand that respects its heritage and brand loyalty offers something to gear heads.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I wouldn't hold my breath about Nissan restarting (they pretty much abandoned) support for gearheads anytime soon, unless you're willing to accept "manual feeling" CVT transmissions. It's going to require a major change in their direction/philosophy. I suspect they'll also need to address their build quality/reliability problems, offer a more competitive warranty and rethink their expanded rental fleet sales that killed their profit margins and accelerated depreciation before addressing enthusiast models.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

They asked for feedback from Dealers. That's rich. The FNG needs to come here and read feedback from actual CUSTOMERS....you know...the ones the dealerships are out to screw over.

Greg has written plenty of scathing editorials that are spot on, and there's been a few threads here that have supported those opinions. If he wants to move the needle, listen to the most important segment - the people who spend money on your product.

They can start by shoving the CVTs up their collective asses and continue by refreshing their models more than once every 10-15 years.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I have to agree with thief/ceo #1 Ghosn and thief/ceo #2 Saikawa. Both enjoyed their time as CEO a bit more than they should have, LOL. They both cheated the company, but ... both were against this latest move to leave all petrol cars behind and go full electric. I doubt their EVs will compete successfully with the competition and all the consumers who want a petrol car will be spending money on another brand. They are already on thin ice financially as it is. Losing all the petrol buyers isn't going to help that.

Return to “General Chat”