Dealer installed the wrong filter?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jlsatt00

This is jlsatt00's husband (usually post as AMR40509, but she was already logged in).

I did my first oil change on this car today, we had the dealer change it at about 2000miles (first change was free). We are at about 5000 miles so, so made the changeover to Mobil 1.

Anyhow, I stopped at the dealer and picked up a "filter for an '08 Rogue" the other day. When I took off the filter today, I noticed that both what was on the car from when they changed it and what I picked up from the dealer were the 15208-9E000 -- this struck me as odd as that is the same filter I use for my '06 Pathfinder 4.0L V6.

I went ahead and put it on as today is a Sunday, and that is the same filter number that has been on there for the past 3000 miles. From what I can see 15208-65FOB would be the right part number.

Any insight on this?

MagikDragon
Car: 1991 240SX, 1992 240SX, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

Nissan uses a few different filters and the main difference is the capacity of the filter, the element inside is the same, usually the thread pattern and o-rings are the same. so If they don't have one filter in stock they can substitute another.

Most Car Manufacturers do this. I wouldn't worry about it, if it threads on and doesn't leak it fits fine.

motoguy128
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S - 6 Speed

My '07 Versa's 1.8L and my wife's 2.5L in her '06 Altima use the same filter. We're looking at buying the Roque, I'd be suprised if it didn't use the same filter. I suspect that the 3.5L V6 uses the same filter as well.

Oil flow rates are not nessasisarily dramatically higher just because the engine is larger. A I-4 often has a longer crankshaft and therefore more bearings than a V6, but only has 1 cylinder head, but it's longer. The 4.0L V6 likely just has a longer stroke than the 3.5L so the heads and crank are abotu hte same length. On Honda's 2.4L I-4 compared ot their 3.0L V6, the 4 cylinder has more oil capacity.

Just a thought.

wbloomfield
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

jlsatt00 wrote:This is jlsatt00's husband (usually post as AMR40509, but she was already logged in).

I did my first oil change on this car today, we had the dealer change it at about 2000miles (first change was free). We are at about 5000 miles so, so made the changeover to Mobil 1.

Anyhow, I stopped at the dealer and picked up a "filter for an '08 Rogue" the other day. When I took off the filter today, I noticed that both what was on the car from when they changed it and what I picked up from the dealer were the 15208-9E000 -- this struck me as odd as that is the same filter I use for my '06 Pathfinder 4.0L V6.

I went ahead and put it on as today is a Sunday, and that is the same filter number that has been on there for the past 3000 miles. From what I can see 15208-65FOB would be the right part number.

Any insight on this?
The dealer gave me 15208-65foc Is this the right number???

wfo_1974

9e's are used on titans v-8's and most or all 2.5 engines, mostly the 65 's are used on the 3.5's in some cases i have seen nissan use the 65 on some versas and sentra' for clearance and as well and the frontiers i have seen both 9e and 65 i myself have used either in any case the are the same filter and now days nissan uses either the 65 or 9e and that is about it on oil filters on todays cars from nissan or infiniti at that, the 9e000 holds about a 1/4 more oil but works fine, I have seen no problems with this being done, the 1.6 motors call for a 65 i use the 9e becouse when useing a 65 the motor uses 2 and 7/8 oil with a 9e i put a little over 3 qts of oil in and well you have a little more oil to be used in the motor. I myself do this sometimes and like i said no problems have i ever seen

Michael

philipa_240sx

I have stopped using Nissan oil filters over a year ago. Partly because sometime in 2006(?), Nissan changed the construction of the filter and opted to use cardboard 'endcaps'. The old Nissan filters housed the media with metal end caps... the filter seemed to be more solidly constructed. Ultimately, the new filter design probably works for it's intended use but I was dismayed at the change. I have seen photos of the newer 'Made in China' OEM Nissan filters with both cardboard and metal endcaps so who is to say which one you will get. On my first oil change, I am going to open up the OEM filter as well as an older 9E00 (2 yrs old) to see the difference.

I have been using WIX (also sold as NAPA Gold) filters for the past year. They are good quality filter and are solidly constructed. There are 2 versions and both fit the QR25DE: #51356 and #51365. The 51356 is about 3/4" taller (similar to the 9E00) otherwise the filters are identical. I could go into a long discussion on why I use these filters, however I would suggest doing some research on them and decide for yourself:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource for motor oil, filters, and lubrication in general. Browse the forums and educate yourself.

chirp the 1-2

the 9e and 65foc will both fit and work, i will check at work and post the specific filter for rogues

Return to “Rogue Forum”