Dead key

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Jcampoli
Car: 02 altima 3.5se

So out of nowhere my key does nothing when I turn it in the ignition. I put it in the lights go on and I can control my blinkers but I can not dim headlights change the selection or turn them off.
I can lock and unlock the doors and pop the trunk with the fob but the panic button does nothing. I can hear 2 relays clicking in a pattern under the hood and I can manually jump the starter. I was experiencing the common camshaft sensor issue that causes the car to randomly stall and sometimes when I would go to start it back up after it stalled I would experience this same "dead key" issue but I would cycle the key a few times and it would start up, but this morning I came out to start the car and after 5 minutes with no start I decided to replace the cam sensor since I've had it in the glove box for several months. But that is not the problem

I'm lost an I dont know where to start I'm thinking about replacing the ignition tumbler and the headlight master switch for starters but please any info and help will be greatly appreciated as this is my daily and my wife needs her vehicle for work as well.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Since you didn't mention it, I have to ask... When was the battery in the fob last replaced?

If the battery is okay, the problem may be the BCM (Body Control Module) no longer recognizes the key fob. You could do a relearn as shown in this video.

Jcampoli

Both fob batteries are 4 months old. But when I got the car the 1 fob was dead and the other 1 was weak but they both started the car w no problems car battery is 4 month old as well

Jcampoli

But why would the bcm forget both fobs all at once and why would a fob prevent tbe car from starting I was told these aren't chipped ignitions and my fob works to lock, unlock, and pop trunk. And I ha e no control over my headlights at all

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Jcampoli wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:18 pm
But why would the bcm forget both fobs all at once and why would a fob prevent tbe car from starting I was told these aren't chipped ignitions and my fob works to lock, unlock, and pop trunk. And I ha e no control over my headlights at all
I'm not all too well versed in your vehicle, but I'm nearly 100% certain your system has a chip as the details are on page 139 of the owners manual. So that would explain why the car won't start. It's remotely possible both fobs are dying, but it may not be that simple.

It sounds more like the BCM itself is failing, which is not surprising as your car is 17 years old.

Jcampoli

Its got to be the bcm as both fob Batteries are new and like I said they both work only the panic button does not work

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”