Dead battery

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
steve T
Car: 2010 infiniti EX 35

I have a 2010 EX 35 but I think someone will know the answer to my question. Car has only 44k miles. Replaced battery Jan 2016 since it was 6 years old. Car has run fine. Used it on Thursday for a few short trips, then parked downtown. When I came back to the car 2 hours later, door would not open with the remote, so I used the key inside of the fob, and inserted the fob in the dash, thinking fob battery was dead. Got almost nothing when I attempted to start the car - not even a click, dome lights were dim. Got a jump and went back to place where I bought the battery. Car had been running for about 45 minutes, and the battery checked out fine, car restarted several times.

I left the car there overnight and it started fine. I’ve dealt with this shop for over 20 years, and they’re good. He said the battery and charging system checked out fine. I thought maybe I had hit the on or acc on the start button before I parked it but - I tried locking the car with the switch in the on or acc setting and you can’t lock the car under those conditions. The car was locked when I returned to it and the lights weren’t on.

Any ideas? The car started fine this AM but....what caused the battery to be totally dead?

Thanks

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

steve T wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 am
I have a 2010 EX 35 but I think someone will know the answer to my question. Car has only 44k miles. Replaced battery Jan 2016 since it was 6 years old. Car has run fine. Used it on Thursday for a few short trips, then parked downtown. When I came back to the car 2 hours later, door would not open with the remote, so I used the key inside of the fob, and inserted the fob in the dash, thinking fob battery was dead. Got almost nothing when I attempted to start the car - not even a click, dome lights were dim. Got a jump and went back to place where I bought the battery. Car had been running for about 45 minutes, and the battery checked out fine, car restarted several times.

I left the car there overnight and it started fine. I’ve dealt with this shop for over 20 years, and they’re good. He said the battery and charging system checked out fine. I thought maybe I had hit the on or acc on the start button before I parked it but - I tried locking the car with the switch in the on or acc setting and you can’t lock the car under those conditions. The car was locked when I returned to it and the lights weren’t on.

Any ideas? The car started fine this AM but....what caused the battery to be totally dead?

Thanks
Ideas yes!

Even a dead battery will allow lights including the headlights to illuminate. The headlights will go very dim or go out completely when trying to start with a dead battery.

What you should have done is tested the battery cells with a battery hydrometer

If all those battery cells were at a full charge that would have led you to check your battery cable connections which is where I suspect your problem is.

Telcoman

steve T
Car: 2010 infiniti EX 35

No exterior lights would go on at all. Dome light was on dimly. No dash indicator lights. “On” light on start button was on dimly. Not a sound when the start button was pushed. The clock in the dash was keeping correct time, but that is a very low draw.

I think that you’re right - if a battery were actually that dead, it would never charge fully after the car ran for 45 minutes or an hour.

The shop “checked” the cables, many just enough to solve the problem for now. I’m going to put a visegrip in the car so that I can check this if it happens again.

Thanks

Steve

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”