Dead Battery?

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Rondog
Car: 2009 G37S Convertible

I am curious about what happens when your battery goes dead. Will you be able to open the doors without damaging the windows or molding? A friend told me a story about a guy who had a new Corvette and found himself locked in the car when the battery died. He was in his garage and when his wife opened the door to the house, he waved frantically. She waved back and disappeared back into the house. Tell me that can't happen to us.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

The glass won't suffer damage, but the molding maybe. If its under warranty, it'll be covered.

psdenno
Car: 2010 G37 Convertible

The factory manual warns in several places that the side windows should be lowered, prior to disconnecting the battery to enable the doors to be opened. Sounds like more than a "maybe" for damage if you don't.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

There is a mechanical key inside each iKey remote. This should unlock the drivers door when the remote battery is dead or the cars battery is discharged to the point where the proximity sensors are not powered. If you press the remote or request switch and nothing happens.

As for getting locked in the car that would not be possible both inside and outside locks have aircraft grade cable connected to the lock mechanism.

Lock mechanisms have gone bad but they are fairly rare since 05 or so, but that has nothing to do with the battery.

C6 Vettes have electronic buttons that act as lock openers, apparently they can cause problems...

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

SteveTheTech wrote:There is a mechanical key inside each iKey remote. This should unlock the drivers door when the remote battery is dead or the cars battery is discharged to the point where the proximity sensors are not powered. If you press the remote or request switch and nothing happens.

As for getting locked in the car that would not be possible both inside and outside locks have aircraft grade cable connected to the lock mechanism.

Lock mechanisms have gone bad but they are fairly rare since 05 or so, but that has nothing to do with the battery.

C6 Vettes have electronic buttons that act as lock openers, apparently they can cause problems...
Steve, I have this exact problem right now. My car has sat in the garage for the last couple months and now the battery is dead. I tried to get into my car yesterday and I couldn't. I used the valet key inside the key fob and it does not work. When you put it in the key slot, there is no mechanical tension when trying to unlock it. Only the spring-loaded tension as if it is already unlocked.

I looked through the owners manual and the FSM, and I can't find anything that addresses a dead battery and door locks. But by looking at the FSM, it looks like the mechanical key just sends a signal to the BCM to unlock the doors. Obviously, if the battery is dead it can't do this. If I don't find a solution in the next couple hours by scouring the internet, I'm going to call Infiniti Roadside Assistance to come unlock the car for me.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

:gotme
So if you turn the lock mechanically nothing happens?

Pm or text me if you need to.

There is a TSB (for 08 only) that might apply to your situation exactly, but it is VIN specific.

What's up with the mechanical keys though????

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

SteveTheTech wrote::gotme

There is a TSB (for 08 only) that might apply to your situation exactly, but it is VIN specific.

Well I called roadside assistance and they came out and unlocked it for me and gave me a jump. But after I let the car run for awhile and charge up the battery, I decided to try the key again, while it had power. The mechanical key doesn't do anything.

What does the TSB say? VIN is JNKCV64E58M113775

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

EZcheese15 wrote:
SteveTheTech wrote::gotme

Well I called roadside assistance and they came out and unlocked it for me and gave me a jump. But after I let the car run for awhile and charge up the battery, I decided to try the key again, while it had power. The mechanical key doesn't do anything.

What does the TSB say? VIN is JNKCV64E58M113775
ITB10-010b, Take your car to dealer and they will replace battery.
Description: 2008 INFINITI G37 COUPE; BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE / NO START
An Applied Vehicle has a Battery Low Voltage or no start condition due to specific customer use pattern

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit ITB10-010

08G37
Car: 2008 G37 Coupe

Can someone please help? I am clueless about cars. I recently bought an 08 G37 Coupe. I was inflating the tires, because my low tire pressure light came on, and i killed my battery (I only did 1 side, so the battery sucks). Anyway, I tried to jump it with a booster pack - wouldn't work, but the car would turn over. I tried several evenings, but nothing. After the attempt last night, the light on the push start button indicator "Lock" wouldn't even light up. Nothing in the car will light up when I open the door, etc. It wouldn't start before, but now it's totally gone and wont even turn over. I bought a new 750 amp booster last night and tried it, and my g still won't do anything or even light up when I hook it to the battery.

Is this now more than a battery issue and if so, what could it be and what caused it? Can I simply replace the battery, or will this require a dealer visit? The nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

cmesurf

08G37 wrote:Can someone please help? I am clueless about cars. I recently bought an 08 G37 Coupe. I was inflating the tires, because my low tire pressure light came on, and i killed my battery (I only did 1 side, so the battery sucks). Anyway, I tried to jump it with a booster pack - wouldn't work, but the car would turn over. I tried several evenings, but nothing. After the attempt last night, the light on the push start button indicator "Lock" wouldn't even light up. Nothing in the car will light up when I open the door, etc. It wouldn't start before, but now it's totally gone and wont even turn over. I bought a new 750 amp booster last night and tried it, and my g still won't do anything or even light up when I hook it to the battery.

Is this now more than a battery issue and if so, what could it be and what caused it? Can I simply replace the battery, or will this require a dealer visit? The nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
See if you have blown fuse- ?

08G37

My dad looked, but he didn't seem to think there was a blown fuse after he pulled off the cover of the fuse box. Admittedly though, this car is a bit more high tech than he's probably used to.

cmesurf

08G37 wrote:My dad looked, but he didn't seem to think there was a blown fuse after he pulled off the cover of the fuse box. Admittedly though, this car is a bit more high tech than he's probably used to.
Did you check the fuse box by the battery (has relays also) and by rest pedal in driver side?

Can't be just battery.. something else happened :confused:

08G37

I looked in both places and all the fuses look alright. Maybe a problem with the Body Control Module? I read this controls the interior lights....It might be more than that though since it won't even turn over. Ugh, what a pain. Thanks for your help!

08G37

I found another post with this bulletin - Bulletin ITB10-010B. It's for 2008-2009 G37 coupes. I think I'll mention that to the dealer. Maybe the tow in will be covered under warranty for this....

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1ST34.pdf

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Just checking, but what does inflating the tires have to do with the battery? Did the battery die because of something you did while inflating the tires? I'm confused.

As for the jump box, when you hook up the jump box, I understand it won't turn over, but do the lights come on at all? If they come on, but just won't turn over, then you might just not have enough power from the jump box to start it. I had an 08 G coupe that I could barely get started when jumping it from a Sentra. Took like 10 minutes of revving the Sentra to finally get enough power in the G to turn it over.

Also, if it's not turning over, sounds stupid, but make sure you have the key near the ignition, or better yet, plugged into the socket under the dash, just in case the fob battery is dead.

If it is still completely dead even with the jump box hooked up, check the negative battery lead and make sure it is grounded ok and not corroded. If you have a volt meter, check the voltage on the battery terminals as well as the battery cables to make sure you have at least 12 V passing through the battery.

Post back after checking those things and let us know if you find anything.

cmesurf

08G37 wrote:I found another post with this bulletin - Bulletin ITB10-010B. It's for 2008-2009 G37 coupes. I think I'll mention that to the dealer. Maybe the tow in will be covered under warranty for this....

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1ST34.pdf
Bulletin ITB10-010B. It's for 2008-2009 G37 coupes is applicable to your car which is still under warranty so dealer should replace the battery (may prorate) and fix the issue- what ever it is. Good Luck.

08G37

EZ, I had an air compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter, turned to I think ACC mode (radio on, but engine off), which drained the battery.

I just tried the key fob in the key fob insert in the car, but no luck.

The lights DID come on when I was trying to jump it earlier. However, after last night, NO lights are coming on at all in the car. I think something happened when I was trying to jump it yet again with the 400 amp booster, but I don't know what (this was prior to me getting the more powerful 750 amp booster, which maybe I should have done in the first place. The more powerful booster has yet to do anything as attaching it to the car now results in absolutely nothing, no lights, nada, the ignition light isn't even on). :ohno:

I have a friend who said he had a voltometer and could check the battery for me. I would also like to call the dealership to see what they say or if they have any suggestions.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

08G37 wrote:EZ, I had an air compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter, turned to I think ACC mode (radio on, but engine off), which drained the battery.

I just tried the key fob in the key fob insert in the car, but no luck.

The lights DID come on when I was trying to jump it earlier. However, after last night, NO lights are coming on at all in the car. I think something happened when I was trying to jump it yet again with the 400 amp booster, but I don't know what (this was prior to me getting the more powerful 750 amp booster, which maybe I should have done in the first place. The more powerful booster has yet to do anything as attaching it to the car now results in absolutely nothing, no lights, nada, the ignition light isn't even on). :ohno:

I have a friend who said he had a voltometer and could check the battery for me. I would also like to call the dealership to see what they say or if they have any suggestions.

Will keep you all posted. Thanks again!
If leaving it in ACC mode is what killed the battery, you had to have had it there for quite some time. The 5 or 10 minutes it takes to power a compressor to fill up your tires isn't nearly long enough to drain the battery.

If you left it there for longer (an hour or more) then I can see that happening. When you try to jump it now and you say no lights or anything come on, the first thing I would test is your jump box to make sure it's not dead. If the jump box is good, then it sounds like you may have possibly fried something in the electrical system. Is it possible you accidentally hooked up the battery leads backwards when jumping it (If you did, you probably would have seen sparks and stuff, but maybe not if the battery was completely dead).

Let us know what you find when your friend checks the battery voltage.

08G37

I used the air compressor on thedriver side tires using my 2000 celica - no problems. I used the infiniti's battery for the passenger side tires. It was absolutely not hooked up for an hour. The passenger side using the I's battery seemed to take longer than the driver's side, but I think that was probably because the battery in the I is crap. It couldn't have been more than 20 minutes. And the air compressor is nothing fancy. Something I got with a fix-a-flat product (Slime).

Anyway, I called roadside assistance, which is free if you're still underwarranty (woohoo!). They cam eand tried to jump my car. It wasn't working with his car, getting close but just no completely turning over. After awhile, we hooked it up to the celica. I cranked it to 3000 rmps - first time nothing, but the 2nd time was a go. Tipped the guy, took the car out to charge the battery and it's fine.

The only problem is - now my passenger side window is somehow messed up. I use the button that automatically rolls is the whole way up and it goes up but then comes back down about 1/4 of the window. When I close the door, it still does the down, back up 1/4 of an inch deal. I looked and the robber at the top of the passenger side is somehow not aligned properly like the driver's side. This is probably causing the issue, but I never noticed it until this battery issue and it isn't affecting the down, roll back up feature when the passenger door is shut. Driver's side is fine.

Ah, and the TPMS light went off thanks to inflating the tires and screwing up my battery. But at least it works!

Should I just take it to the dealer and have them fix the seam on the passenger's side? Thanks, ya'll! It's a relief knowing I didn't screw up the electrical system in some way. God is good!

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

The window memory needs to be reset after having a dead battery.

Do this to reset the memory:

Roll the window down (not auto mode) and hold down for about 3 seconds after it's all the way down. Then do the same thing going up (continue to hold up for a few seconds after the window is all the way up). Then do it again going down.

You only need to do it once in each direction but I forget if it's down then up or up then down, but if you do it 3 times like that it will cover both patterns ;)

Do it from the Driver's side.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I had someone state they used a trickle charger on the battery connectors while swapping the battery in order to keep a charge on the system and that kept them from having to deal with the power window issue.

I had the same problem replacing my battery and the first time doing the reset would not work. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and did the reset again and it worked. Quite annoying.

cmesurf

audtatious wrote:I had someone state they used a trickle charger on the battery connectors while swapping the battery in order to keep a charge on the system and that kept them from having to deal with the power window issue.

I had the same problem replacing my battery and the first time doing the reset would not work. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and did the reset again and it worked. Quite annoying.
:dblthumb: I use the trickle charger when replacing battery :bigthumb:

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Was that you that sent me a email? :)

cmesurf

audtatious wrote:Was that you that sent me a email? :)
What email?I

audtatious

cmesurf wrote:
audtatious wrote:Was that you that sent me a email? :)
What email?I
Someone had sent me an email at infinitig37.com concerning use of a trickle charger for my battery replacement how-to so I added it to the directions.

http://infinitig37.com/G37-battery-replacement.html

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”