Deactivation of seatbelt light......

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Ajsdream

97 J30t driving without seatbelt occasionally( yes, I know that is against the law and is dangerous). I still hate that reminder red light for appearance and conscious. I am looking to disconnect and/or cut the wire(s) to stop the red light. Morally wrong, maybe but need a response for my demise. Any and all info appreciated! Thanks, Ajsdream

ardvarkus

AJ-

Absolutely nothing wrong with eliminating the seatbelt.

Hopefully the gene pool will be thinned before you can procreate.

Sorry for the nastiness, but I can think of no stupider technical request I've ever seen on any website.

Adam

PS I lost my dad in 1984 in an accident that he might have WALKED away from had he been wearing the belt... only 12 miles from home...

Ajsdream

Ardvarkus - Thanks for the moral opinion and sorry for your loss. Like I stated before "to my demise". I am aware of buyer beware of the following info may be hazardous to you health. It is not about whether I want to drive with the doors off or stand up while driving with my head through the sunroof(not that I would be limber enough). The bottom line ( stupid or insane) in my book should be given a reply no matter what may or may not happen down the road. Sorry, I have never been a black or white idealist but always in the gray! Ajsdream

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Well, if you want to meet your ultimate destiny early, just buckle your belt and sit on it! No red light to distract you from your folly.

I too was in a bad accident at low speed less than two miles from home. Everyone went to the hospital but me. One person died.

I wonder if you lived in WA and were fined $85 everytime a gendarme saw you belt- free if that would change your mind?

I've always found it easier to control my vehicle in extreme circumstances when I am well-located in the driver's seat no matter what forces are trying to dislodge me.

Just trying to understand and not succeeding.

ardvarkus

There- two replys that will work. I have no issues with posting information that someone might employ to their demise...My issue is why anyone would actively want to not wear a set belt- to the point of disabling a light.

But what about whomever you sell the car to?

oh, there is zero idealism involved. No black, white or grey. Only folks in denial.

(What makes me really crazy is kids not belted in.)

A

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

It is a Federal Felony to even discuss this matter. Conspiracy to modify mandated safety equipment.We can discuss how to make your car immobile without the belt being used. You do not have the right to modify as a passenger would then be subject to your change and that would leave you open to vehicular homicide at minimum!

Ajsdream

People we are talking about a little red light in the dash. I am not talking about modifying safety equipment( i.e. cut the seatbelts out of the car,removing all airbags). Deactivating the little red light is not going to make the seatbelt any less or more effective. Whether I choose to wear the belt or not has no bearing what so ever on that red light. I do not need a reminder may be some do? I am sorry I am causing such a commotion over the red light. My previous car (92 Acura Legend LS Coupe) was merely the wire to the seatbelt on the side of the seat. When I sold the car I reconnected it! I also think the Federal government has their hands full enough. I will try not to worry what they think of my "tampering " with safety eqiupment. You can tell people to buckle up all you want but choices are an everyday occurance. Surgeon General states smoking may be hazardous to your health. So why is everyone still smoking if it kills? Like I said I did not mean to stir up who is wrong or right on this issue. I was just looking for an answer I think no one wants to give or does not know. Thanks for your time and effort.

lonallenq45

Remove the bulb from the light behind the instrument panel... More work involved in getting to it, but at least it will only be the removal of the bulb and not any disabling of any system.

Lon

Q45tech

So if a child removes their belt and you don't know it, you as the owner and driver are not responsible. Tell that one to the jury.Hopefully you don't allow anyone in your car without wearing a belt. A crash helmet should also be mandantory! as brain injuries are forever.

I was sued by a passenger [my date] in a no fault accident as the guilty party and their 2 passangers died in the head on collision [they had no insurance] and I only had $100,000 of uninsured motorist insurance - the medical bills were $603,000. Took me 5 years to pay the claim as my insurance was $500,000 total.

Have a $2 million umbrella now.

When someone gets hurt no matter whose at fault the driving survivors pay for the injuries!After such accidents many change their name and leave the country after declaring bankruptcy!

Q45tech

Read the fine print in your insurance policy it may be void if you cannot prove you were belted in......thus the tampering with the light might be checked it all depends on the amount of loss how deep they will go to try to prove you did anything wrong.After all they owe it to be diligent to their stockholders and not pay out if there is any legal way to avoid it!

I have friends who are accident investigators they check everything including the boiling point of brake fluid to prove you were negligent in maintaining car, legal depth and tire type to make sure it conforms with the tire placard car, maintenance history -- anything they find that can be used against you in court!

Many a driver has found how much it cost to not operate with V rated tires if that's what came on the car.When you sue a manufacturer they will totally disassemble the car looking for things. Change/liquids shorting the air bag controller....drinking liquids while driving, eating in car, are all negligent acts, talking on cell phone [they check your phone records].

I just don't want to spend any time in court explaining what happened on the forum because you want to blame someone else when and if the SHxT hits the fan at some future date.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

The solution is very simple!

Wear the belt, protect yourself from your own ignorance, and the light will not be a problem.

It is an absurd folly to think any of us are immortal or can predict future events. If we could, then we could put on our seat belts because we know that little old lady is going to pull into our path 300 yds after we leave our driveway.

What we have here at the very least is low reading comprehension skills or excessive hubris. I just hope you don't take any other non-volunteers out of the gene pool with you.

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

Let me preface this by saying that I wear my seatbelt religiously and love to drive as fast as I can get away with. I find it interesting that we slam this guy so hard for doing something that has a 99% chance of only effecting himself, yet we post four pages of gloriously well received stories about outrageous speeding that potentially could whack a lot of other people.

carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

911/Q45 wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I wear my seatbelt religiously and love to drive as fast as I can get away with. I find it interesting that we slam this guy so hard for doing something that has a 99% chance of only effecting himself, yet we post four pages of gloriously well received stories about outrageous speeding that potentially could whack a lot of other people.
I agree 110% with that last post. The only person that can get hurt is him (maybe a passenger?). I'm assuming he's an adult, he can make his own decisions and pay for any consequences.

Personally, I don't care if he wants to take the doors off his car, drive with just 3 tires, or anything else.

It occurred to me however, rather than disconnecting anything - If all he wants is to turn off the light, why doesn't he just get a spare seat belt buckle (without the belt) and leave the spare clip buckled in all the time. This way, nothing has been really tampered with. The OEM belt would still there and can be used if so desired.

Of course there's the lack of seatbelt use issue but that horse has been beat. :-)

ardvarkus

carlos_knology wrote:just get a spare seat belt buckle (without the belt) and leave the spare clip buckled in all the time.
Now that is not a bad idea- then you're not sitting on a belt.

Two comments:

Unless it is a single car crash, there is another driver who *may* live with the knowledge that another died, perhaps due to their error. (I my personal case, this b**** was driving at night, without headlights, and head-on'd my dad...then had the balls to sue the estate. Didn't win. Had the gall to claim his death was 'emotional trauma' to her!)

Seatbelts do get in the way of hummers- who wants to be distracted by that red light in that case...

:eek:

A

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Not wearing a seatbelt is just part of the diva mentality.......

Look what happened to Princess Diana. More famous than ever now.

Very hard to sustain life-threatening injuries in ANY accident in an armored S-class -- IF you're wearing your seatbelt (like the bodyguard who lived).

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

I want to say this...

I have my seatbelt light disabled in my car but not nearly for the same reason. I disabled mine because I have a 5 point harness I use for racing, and I wanted the seatbelt light off while I was wearing the harness rather than the stock 3 point belt. And just to clarify, by racing, I mean autoX and track events, NOT street racing. Oh, and I don't both "enabling" the light when I am done racing, because I have a habit of wearing my seatbelt anyway, and don't need the light to remind me.

But I am not going to say how I disabled my seatbelt light. Because I think it's the dumbest thing you can possibly do for the purpose of the light being out during regular driving. You should have your seatbelt on at all times. That light is there for a reason. Not to remind you to put your belt on, but to annoy the hell out of you for not wearing it. Wear your damn belt if the light annoys you.

Ajsdream

WOW!!...... I never dreamed this topic would cause this much controversy. Everyone has good points and reasons for their insight. I will probably search a manual for the wiring layout. The overall discussion has not made me give up my quest. Although I would not take the dash apart for bulb removal. Thanks again , especially for the guys who did not bash me but remained neutral. Ajsdream

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Aj:

Sorry you got slammed so much with your first thread.:oface .

But welcome to our board:icesangel !

One reason this is such a sensitive subject here, is that we had several board members in accidents (some severe ones too) in the last few months...

Fred...:)

crubio
Car: cars, karate, reading

I love Seatbelts. I was in a crash where my car was rear ended on the freeway and I was launched over the embankment, down to the surface streets. My car rolled 3 times and landed upside down. I stuck to my seat like glue even when the car came to rest upside down, I was still suspended by my seatbelt. It took the rescue team an hour to cut me out of my car and they had to cut the seatbelt to get me out. Miraculously I only suffered a broken arm, a serious concussion, and a fairly severely lacerated face. I lost most of my right ear and gained some attractive scars on my face. I recovered 100%, my right ear is a little smaller but that's it, I can hear. My seatbelt totally saved my a**. I was driving an 86 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi), it was totally destroyed. Thats why I drive a big bad Q. By the way I really like the full shouder harnesses in the back seats of my Q. Wear your seatbelts people and demand your passengers buckle up.

crubio

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

AJ,

Wake up, dude. We can't save you from yourself (no one can), but we cared enough to try.

What about the other people in your life? Come on, think about it rationally.

A lot of seriously injured or dead people believed "It will never happen to me."

lonallenq45

maxnix wrote:AJ,

What about the other people in your life? Come on, think about it rationally.
That is the bottom line! Your loved ones will really appreciate it.

My dad was rear-ended last week in San Antonio. Lucky to be alive. The impact whipped his head back through the rear window of this Ford Ranger. His is recovering, but I could only imagine a more serious wreck and him not still being with us. Hind sight is 20/20. Take protective measures now and you won't be saying "...if I only wore my seatbelt that day...".

Lon

ardvarkus

lonallenq45 wrote: The impact whipped his head back through the rear window of this Ford Ranger.
Lon-

That brings up a whole 'nother topic: the failure of pickup manufacturers to install headrests on seats in front of glass. There is not federal requirement, and as such some horrific accidents- head goes through, and then snaps down onto the glass edge, transcecting the brainstem/spinal cord. Quad.

MyF250 has a second row of seats which is right against the glass. I'd have given up 1.5 inches of leg room for some kind of head rest...

Your dad was lucky.

A

lonallenq45

ardvarkus wrote:
Lon-

That brings up a whole 'nother topic: the failure of pickup manufacturers to install headrests on seats in front of glass. There is not federal requirement, and as such some horrific accidents- head goes through, and then snaps down onto the glass edge, transcecting the brainstem/spinal cord. Quad.

MyF250 has a second row of seats which is right against the glass. I'd have given up 1.5 inches of leg room for some kind of head rest...

Your dad was lucky.

A
This is true. Very lucky. I am glad he only got a bad gash on the back if his head from that. He has whiplash and some other abrasions and bruises (broken rib from the seat belt) but the fact that he still has all of his faculties is amazing. Having a hard time walking, but physical therapy is taking care of that.

Thanks,

Lon

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd like to throw my two cents in here as well. As a firm believer in personal freedoms (at almost any cost), I can see AJ's point. However, there are certainly more pressing matters that will FAR outweigh any pathetic whimpering over having to wear a belt.

As a former defensive driving instructor AND certified accident investigator, I also spend at least one day a year getting "re-acquainted" with what driving REALLY means at the Bondurant School of High Performance Driving here in Phoenix.

I have seen first-hand the effects of a lack of proper restraint usage on driving skill. I could give a rat's *ss if you don't want to wear a seatbelt. But be advised, that you are UNABLE to control your vehicle in a REAL evasive maneuver without a belt. I'm not talking about the type we all encounter daily, but the OH, SH*T ones we all experience at least once in our lives and that make us glad we drive performance-oriented cars.

I doubt your *ss is sticky enough to grip the leather seat at the .08 g's experienced during a severe swerve, and I KNOW NO ONE who can stay in place to control their car and bring it to a safe stop after it's been struck by another car (think SECONDARY ACCIDENT) without a proper restraint.

Bottom line - if you ever collide with me or one of my loved ones and you're not properly belted, expect your "demise" to be at the hands of the AZ HITMAN.

BTW - Welcome to the board, sorry there's been so much negativity in our responses - Despite our opinions, we'd love to have you stick around so we can all laugh about this later.

deesolballs

OK DAMMIT...this horse has been beat like a pecker in solitary confinement...enuff already. The guy will wear his seat belt if he wants to regardless of what is said here. He probably quit reading these sermons by now. Maybe his arse cheeks are strong enuff to grap a crack full of leather upholstery when that dreadful accident happens. Who knows?! Why not focus energies else where, this topic has lost its appeal :toilet

AJ has inspired me. When I leave work today I ain't wearing my seatbelt, Hell I won't even close the driver's side door (is there any way to get that annoying "door open" light to go off?) and when I get home I'm taking the batteries out of the smoke detectors. That little green light is starting to piss me off:rant

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

true. but when was the last time you wore a saftey belt when you're in a limo or a cab for that matter??? I love the Jerry Seinfeld line about this in his last standup act, "nobody wears a seat belt in a NYC cab, the driver is a PROFESSIONAL driver afterall."

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Dees, dammit - I just blew OJ outta my nose reaing your post. THAT is some funny stuff.

Don't forget to run through the house with a pair of scissors while you're at it:)

BAD - Good point, and I can tell you from local experience that the back seat of a Crown Vic is NOT the safest place on earth (especially if you're allergic to fire).

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

AZhitman wrote:I can tell you from local experience that the back seat of a Crown Vic is NOT the safest place on earth (especially if you're allergic to fire).
No seatbelt makes for a quicker escape!!

I don't always wear a seatbelt in the backseat if it's a big car (usually when I'm all gussied up, starched shirt, etc.).

I've also noticed that the Q seatbelt may not latch all the way if you're not careful... if I wear a big down jacket sometimes the seatbelt will pop off after a while. Gotta be careful to make it click!!

Return to “General Chat”