DC Sports exhaust in Cube

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
place_desjardins
Car: Nissan Cube

During my long trip for Thanksgiving vacation, the exhaust pipe broke off completely where the muffler pipe connects to the flange that is bolted to the flange of the resonator pipe. I guess the previous owner drove in salty roads in the winter. The whole pipe broke off. The picture below shows the old one on the left. There's no flange on the end. The DC Sports exhaust is on the right. It has a 4" wide tailpipe. Way too big for a 1.8 liter engine, but it looks nice.

My temporary fix was to put a reducer pipe that fit into the flange and the wide part fit over the pipe. It worked. The pressure of the muffler held by the exhaust hangars pressed the reducer into the flange.

I installed a stainless steel DC Sports exhuast system. It will never rust off like an OEM exhaust system. Well, it turned out to be super loud. The OEM exhaust pipe is 1 3/4" outside diameter and the DC Sports exhaust pipe is 2 1/4" outside diameter. It sounded like a regular exhaust system with a rust hole before the muffler. It only sounded good at 5000+ RPMs.
Middle resonator side-by-side.

So, I read about this thing made by a company called Car Chemistry. They primarily make exhaust components for headers and exhaust of muscle cars, but they can be used in other cars. I bought their silencer insert with 4 baffle disks. They make others with 2 or 3 baffle disks. The more you have, the more quieter the exhaust.
View from the outlet side.

View from the inlet side.

I stuffed the gaps between the baffles with stainless steel wool. I also had to shave some of the metal away for it to fit the inside of the exhaust pipe.

Here it is installed with the bolt installed.

Here is a view from the back where I also installed two pop rivets. to hold it more securely.

It worked. The sound is much quieter and the drone is gone. I'm not a paid advertiser. If your car has super crazy drone from the exhaust, I would suggest trying out CC inserts by Car Chemistry. http://www.carchemistry.com

Return to “Cube Forum”