daytime running lights

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
okaywhatsnext
Car: infiniti fx35

we are trying to get daytime running lights installed on our FX35 without much success. An Infiniti dealer says we may have to replace the Body Control Module (BCM) with a Canadian BCM then reprogram it at a cost of over $1000. Generic light modules have been problematic. Another dealer has told us even this will not work. Does anyone have a solution for us? We cannot get the vehicle licenced in Canada without it.

criti

You're getting me worried! I too have to install DRL to my FX35. Did you finally find a solution. If so, can you provide details...How, Where?

edwjmcgrath

Find the sensor for the automatic headlights and bypass it.The simplest way to do that is to cover it with something opaque.If you want to go more permanent then bypass it.Cut one leg of the wires going to the sensor. If the lights go on then the sensor is "normally closed" and you are done. If the lights do not go on then the sensor is "normally open" and you need to cut the other leg and then connect the two wires together.

BBKUKU
Car: infinity fx 45

I also will have to get Drl installed and Apperantly there is a place called FORTIN AUTO and I spoke to the rep ..he told me there would be no problem to install DRL for approx. $ 250. He also said we should ck with canadian tire if it would be acceptable to pass inspection with the fog lamps as daytime running lights!

Infinity dealers are robbing us blind...i think they are pissed off that we got smart and save a bundle on vehicles in the US so they are boosting up the prices for DRL. and more. I contacted 1 dealer who gave me a price of $350 on the phone and when I showed up there they told me $500 and he told me they boosted up the prices because of the fact that consumers are going to buy their vehicles outside Canada...anyway ck these alternatives and let me know how it works out!

bcrowell
Car: 2008 Infiniti FX35

I just drove my new 2008 FX35 back from NH to Dieppe, NB yesterday and was never told by the US dealer I would have problems with the DRLs not meeting Canadian inspection standards. I guess the issue with the Canadian regs is that the DRLs must come on automatically when the car starts and go off automatically when the engine is shut off. Even though I can select the DRL option on the turn signal indicator stick after the car starts is this good enough to pass the Canadian Tire inspection? What really cheeses me off is that Transport Canad lists the 2008 FX35 as an admissible vechicle from the US into Canada but makes no mention of the DLRs in the "Notes" section of their admissability list. Can anyone out there clear up this confusion?????????????????
Modified by bcrowell at 5:37 AM 11/20/2007

okaywhatsnext

I used the auto setting on my lights and it passed by Canadian Tire. I set the system settings so the lights turn off right away as soon as I exit the vehicle but you can also have them stay on for a short period of time after you shut the FX off. I also had to block out the light sensor on the dash with black tape so the lights would come on in daylight. I love my FX and hope you do too!

bcrowell

Thanks for the info. So, just before taking the car into Canadian Tire for the inspection if I select the Auto setting for my lights, set the lights to go off immediately after I exit the car and put black tape over the light sensor device on the top left hand side of the dash the car will pass inspection? What about the infant restraint kit issue - I never checked to see if the car comes with one?
Modified by bcrowell at 5:45 AM 11/20/2007

okaywhatsnext

yes, this worked for me. And there was no issue with the child restraints. I did adjust the setting for the auto lights to high to make sure they come on.

bcrowell

I tried your method but it didn't work as I couldn't get to the display setting on the screen that allows me to select the lights to go off immediately after the ignition is turned off. Do you have a 2008 Infiniti FX 35 and if so can you detail in point form how to do what you did. Thanks.
Modified by bcrowell at 5:46 AM 11/20/2007

okaywhatsnext

I have a 2007 so it may not be the same procedure. I don't have the manual in front of me so I would be guessing at how to do it. You don't actually need the lights to go off immediately after turning the car off. They will turn off according to the number of seconds set in your system. It should pass either way. The process of setting the time duration on the Auto lights should be in that section of the manual. If I recall I had to turn the car on first or to accessory, I'm not sure, before I could access the the detailed system settings.

metty

I was sent this by a friend

drl fix is in the link below. all you need is a few wires with proper sized connectors. the '08 relay box is in the same location when you pop your hood, the only difference from the picture is that the battery/relay box is neatly concealed under a plastic cover: http://www.imagestation.com/al...56475

metty

heres the link againhttp://www.imagestation.com/al...56475

bcrowell

Many thanks for passing along the quick fix for the DTRL problem. The pictures really help. I followed the procedure and it worked a charm.

okaywhatsnext

Glad to hear it worked out. Tell me, do the taillights come on too or just the front DRL lights? Also are there any problems occuring with the electrical system or computer?

metty

Re the link with the pictures

Two people have let me know that one had success and it was easy and another person's dealer tried this and caused an electrical warning. I've never tried this yet so I'm going to skp the pictures and have my dealer do it.

Mpower82
Car: 08 BMW E60 M5

sounds frustrating, good luck with that bro. Wish I had some solid advice for you.

jeanpt
Car: Infinity Fx 35

Please I also have a problem with my running lights on my Fx 35 2005 and cannot open your fix or picture. could you send it to me.

BlackOlive
Car: FX35

Making US model FX35 factory fog as DRL.

1. Hamsar 45020 DRL module (ppsonline.net has it)2. Open battery box cover and also open wiring cover attached to battery box on the right fender side.3. Hamsar 45020 Black wire: ground to the body or Battery(-)4. Hamsar 45020 Red wire: Battery (+)5. Hamsar 45020 White wire: connect to fog light wire(white color) coming from the fog lamp(There are several white color wire, be careful)6. Hamsar 45020 Green wire: connect to oil pressure switch wire(orange color with silver stripe) at the bottom of engine right front near oil filter(45020 orange wire: not used)

I just installed it on my 2004 FX35.It works great.DRL turns on only when the engine is running.Original light switch functions are not affected.

Modified by BlackOlive at 9:58 PM 6/17/2009

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”