DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM- curious Questions

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

Q1) Why DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM is not standard in US cars? I think cost/regulations may be the reason!

Q2) Is it possible to have " DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM" functional in convertible- if yes, what are possible options and possible solutions?

Thanks

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

cmesurf wrote:Q1) Why DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM is not standard in US cars? I think cost/regulations may be the reason!
People can barely stop at stop signs anymore....America is not as strict as Canada.
cmesurf wrote:Q2) Is it possible to have " DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM" functional in convertible- if yes, what are possible options and possible solutions?
Its very possible and there are many aftermarket kits out there. Or you could use the OEM setup from a Canadian car if you wanted too.

cmesurf

Paul Wall wrote:
People can barely stop at stop signs anymore....America is not as strict as Canada.

Yes.

Its very possible and there are many aftermarket kits out there. Or you could use the OEM setup from a Canadian car if you wanted too.
Ok thanks, I'll search for the part number for the kit unless you know the part number. Thanks

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

cmesurf wrote:Q1) Why DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM is not standard in US cars? I think cost/regulations may be the reason!

Q2) Is it possible to have " DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT SYSTEM" functional in convertible- if yes, what are possible options and possible solutions?

Thanks
The DRLs have almost always required operating the high beams at 1/2 electrical load (when in gear/parking brake off). Since the new Gs use the bi-valve style projectors so that 1/2 is "normal" headlights the DRLs have been moved to the fog lights. I have not seen the actual DRL on a modern G (this far south we rarely do) but I am going to wager a bet that the BCM is different from USDM and Canadian Market cars, both of these devices are controlled indirectly via the BCM, I do not know if activating the BCM alone will get DRLs to work but it might also require a new IPDM.

Getting the fog lights to activate without the headlights on should be pretty easy...is that what you are looking for?

cmesurf

SteveTheTech wrote:

Thanks
The DRLs have almost always required operating the high beams at 1/2 electrical load (when in gear/parking brake off). Since the new Gs use the bi-valve style projectors so that 1/2 is "normal" headlights the DRLs have been moved to the fog lights. I have not seen the actual DRL on a modern G (this far south we rarely do) but I am going to wager a bet that the BCM is different from USDM and Canadian Market cars, both of these devices are controlled indirectly via the BCM, I do not know if activating the BCM alone will get DRLs to work but it might also require a new IPDM.

Getting the fog lights to activate without the headlights on should be pretty easy...is that what you are looking for?
Yes: I would like to "activate the fog lights without the headlights"

Thanks Steve

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”