Datsuns, Nissans, and 280 ZX race car question

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
520Dsun
Car: 1968 Datsun 520 pickup truck.

Hello auto addicts of the Datsun and Nissan family,

I've joined NICO club in an effort to help a friend with his 1968 Datsun 520 truck. It's been in the family for over 30 years and now it's time for it to find a new owner. He was a factory trained mechanic back in the day and still has a collection of various parts.

In addition, I'm searching for information on a 1980s 280ZX race car. This car was originally a test mule for the EPA. It was black with a tan interior. Nissan was told to either export the car or Crush IT!

Instead, they were given a waiver to build it into a race car. I worked in the shop that did the bodywork on converting the car to race trim. We stripped the car down, removed the fenders, doors, hood, and hatch. We installed a front spoiler, fender flares, and a rear wing. It was repainted white with a tri-color stripe that went along the side and then up the rear quarter panels. We did a round the clock build on the car and it was completed in about 10 days. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the car.

Upon completion the car went to Mid-Ohio Sports Car course. As I understand it, after about 3 days, a journalist for a car magazine wrecked it.

Does anyone know of this car?

Thanks, Tom

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I've never heard of that car but it sounds pretty awesome.
I like how old school Nissan decided there was a 3rd option aside from exportation or crushing :)

520Dsun
Car: 1968 Datsun 520 pickup truck.

Thanks PapaSmurf2k3, I will try to contact the daughter of the bodyshop owner. He took photos and was supposed to give me a couple, but it never happened. He's since passed on and I regret not taking pics of the car, but that was in the day of photos being on negatives, etc. Not as easy to get a pic as today.

It was a serious race car, all the suspension, engine, trans upgraded, except it had two seats for ride alongs.

Return to “General Chat”