Datsun z22 revival

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Lilriver42
Car: 1986 Nissan hardbody

So i got a datsun z22 motor and im putting it in a 86 nissan hardbody. The truck has a complete painless performance wiring harness ran through it. When turning over the motor im not getting spark. Ive check ed at the plugs,wire ends, and coil wires. Nothing. The coils are new old stock coils for this motor. All specifications check out and are in good working condition. New wires, cap and rotor button. The only thing that hasn’t been changed is the ignition control module. However alot of people say these rarely go bad and probably isnt the issue. Im at a loss with this thing.

Any help would be much appreciated. Im tired of watching it sit in the driveway after all the work ive done.

Lilriver42

If needed i can provide pictures and more in depth info on the wiring.

After looking at some fsm i see there is a “condensor” in the factory wiring diagram Is one of these needed for the ignition system to work correctly?

Lilriver42

I fount another diagram. It seems that they used multiple condensors. What would i need to do to recreate their condensor circuit?
Attachments
C315B69F-7419-4458-BA9A-55140355CBA7.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The condensers are there to quash electrical noise. It's "condenser" as in old school "points-and-condenser", so you can subtstitute any type you like from older vehicles. Delco D204's are cheap and generally available online, and any parts store can still order you some.

Lilriver42

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 am
The condensers are there to quash electrical noise. It's "condenser" as in old school "points-and-condenser", so you can subtstitute any type you like from older vehicles. Delco D204's are cheap and generally available online, and any parts store can still order you some.
Electrical noise isnt an issue yet. Dont even have a radio in the truck. Just trying to get this thing to actually get some spark. So if thats all they do then i don’t necessarily need them right now. And thats not causing my no spark isssue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Lilriver42 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:29 pm
Electrical noise isnt an issue yet. Dont even have a radio in the truck. Just trying to get this thing to actually get some spark.
They can cause no-spark if one of them fails short, but that will usually blow the coil fuse. Without them you'll also get tremendous induced noise in all the engine wiring, so don't neglect them once you get it to fire.

Lilriver42

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:23 pm
Lilriver42 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:29 pm
Electrical noise isnt an issue yet. Dont even have a radio in the truck. Just trying to get this thing to actually get some spark.
They can cause no-spark if one of them fails short, but that will usually blow the coil fuse. Without them you'll also get tremendous induced noise in all the engine wiring, so don't neglect them once you get it to fire.
Theres none there now as I used the painless wiring harness. Could not being there at all cause it to not get spark? I currently have power to both coil while turning it over.

Another idea ive been throwing around is hooking up a couple relays to feed the power to coils. To ensure they are getting the 12v they need at all time. Could this have a negative effect on the ignition components?

DA82KC
Car: 1982 Datsun King Cab 4X4 1983 Datsun Dual Cab 4x4, 1972 Datsun 1200 Coupe, 1976 Datsun 280Z

Make sure you have power to the positive terminals of the coils. They ground via the ignition module. Also make sure the ignition module has power and the distributor housing has good ground to the engine block. Also make sure the right wires go to the right terminals on the ignition module or you could potentially damage it. Its not uncommon to lose one channel of ignition but if wired improperly, the entire unit could fail.

Return to “Datsun 720”