Datsun Woes

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Desert Fox
Car: '91 s13, car #9

Hey guys, just checking in for the first time since i got my 720.

Its an 82 with a z24 webber carb, lift and some other goodies.

Basically, I traded my non running mr2 for it, and the day the p.o. was driving over to trade me he blew the head gasket. More specifically he lost oil pressure and the had white smoke all over the freeway.

So when I got it the first thing i did was pull the engine in about an hour by myself and take off the head. Ive never had to deal with timing chains before and just pulled the sprocket off the cams and pulled the head. Later after I got the head back on I tried to do the timing chain.

For the timing chain i just pulled the timing cover and pulled off the tensioner and put the chain back on the crank and cams the way they were before. I figured since they hadnt moved it would be okay. I put it all back together and in the truck.

After I tried to start it, it wouldnt crank with the battery and a charger. I figured it was out of juice so i put my 240 batttery on and tried it. still no cranking. so then I put the charger on the 240 battery. It cranked but only for a little bit and slowed way down or stopped. Its almost like a valve was hitting a piston. I tried it a few times and there was a pop out the carb, and then one or two out the exhaust.

I really have no idea what to do, and I jsut want to swap in a motor that runs, but I cant find any around here, and have no idea what to do. If you have any pointers, let me know, Im at my wits end.

Heres some pictures for you as well.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Welcome. Like that grill.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Did ja set the timin right. No. 1 at top dead center and the No. 1 on the head with both valves closed. Did you remove the distributor? First thing is to turn the engine till the pointer on the timing chain cover lines up with the TDC mark. Make sure it NO.1 that is supposed to fire and not No.4. Check to see if the rotor points to No.1 plug wire. Check to see if the valves are closed. If not the timings out. You will have to slacken the camshaft gear an turn the camshaft until the valves are closed or the key is in the 12 o'clock position.

Desert Fox

Thanks. Its all metal welded in. I like the look of it.

I ended up taking the flames off the hood and the stripes that were there. But I dont want to worry too much about looks till i get it running.

Desert Fox

flinterman2000 wrote:Did ja set the timin right. No. 1 at top dead center and the No. 1 on the head with both valves closed. Did you remove the distributor? First thing is to turn the engine till the pointer on the timing chain cover lines up with the TDC mark. Make sure it NO.1 that is supposed to fire and not No.4. Check to see if the rotor points to No.1 plug wire. Check to see if the valves are closed. If not the timings out. You will have to slacken the camshaft gear an turn the camshaft until the valves are closed or the key is in the 12 o'clock position.
Im looking at the engine and im not sure exactly what you meran by the mark on thew timing cover.

And does this mean take the engine back out and redo the timing by taking the cover off?

And no i did not take the distributor off, I took the oil pump out to look at it and to get a bolt off the timing cover. But the oil pump and distributor are connected by a rod, so i dunno if that has anything to do with it. Ill take some pictures and show you what im looking at.

Desert Fox

Okay so Went back and redid my whole timing for the car and came to the conclusion that at this point my mechanical timing is spot on, however my distributor needs some help.

I turned the motor to btdc, and set the distributor to intake 1 by turning the rotor. The engine dosent start still. I tried tuning the rotor but at times it jsut popped a bit or shot out the intake. Once it stuttered like it was gonna start but didnt. I really need help on this, lol.

I don't know if my intake and exhaust coil wires are wrong but i threw a picture up to see what goes on what out of the 2 as well. That might throw it off i guess.

Modified by Desert Fox at 8:18 AM 11/7/2009

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

I don't think the coils matter what side they are hooked to. Coils are open circuits that are only closed by the distributor when the contacts pass by one another during operation.

IDK, because I had the TBI z24, but I remember my service manual saying that the carb'ed z24's distributor is problematic and that it can't be rebuilt, but that's as far as I know.

Good luck, and don't give up!

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

If it popped it means the timings out. You need to set the rotor to fire on No.1 and have the piston at TDC. Have someone help to start the engine while you turn the distributor.

dogred
Car: 1983 D720

I was having a similar problem but no popping. I did not look for TDC or any of those steps. Here is what I did.

I removed the cap then the adjusting bolts on the side and removed the distributor. I loosened up the bolts on the mounting block. I then put the distributor back in and lined the rotor set screw forward, also you should note that the skinny brass part of the rotor should be lower and towards you. Put it back together and tighten it down.

Hope this helps out.

Return to “Datsun 720”